PDA

View Full Version : Kaukauna Brothers to Serve Together in Iraq

thedrifter
09-13-08, 05:50 AM
Kaukauna Brothers to Serve Together in Iraq

Updated: Sep 12, 2008 09:58 PM

By Matt Smith

We learned earlier this week up to 3,500 Wisconsin National Guard troops will deploy to Iraq next year. It's the largest single deployment in the state since World War II.

Locally the deployment includes the Appleton-based 127th Infantry, 2nd Battalion, and the 132nd Brigade Support Battalion, Detachment 1 Company E.

Two Kaukauna brothers are among those preparing, and it will be the second deployment for both.

One could easily describe Dave and Matt Kavanaugh as typical, fighting to the core, still at 29 and 30 years old.

"Very competitive all the time," they say, "especially being in the military."

When asked if they're close, they grin and say yes, moments later reminiscing about years past, defining moments, shaping who they are today.

"That's exactly when I decided I wanted to be in the Army," Staff Sergeant Dave Kavanaugh said.

They show us a picture of a younger Dave dressed in their dad's Army uniform.

Their decision 12 years ago, just out of high school, to join the Army came together. Yet Dave and Matt would go separate ways.

Dave first deployed to Iraq with the National Guard while Matt served in the Marines.

"You're laying in bed one day and you hear distant explosions like, Oh my God, what's that?" Sergeant Matt Kavanaugh said.

There was only time in those two years to meet once at Camp Victory, Kuwait -- just enough time for pictures and catching up.

"He drove down from his base and met me at my base. Our paths crossed for a day," they say together, as if finishing each other's thoughts.

Now each is called upon again. Matt and Dave prepare to serve a second tour in Iraq, but this time it's together.

"Our careers are pretty much paralleled each other the last 12 years, and it's kind of weird how our roads criss-crossed and now all of a sudden here we are together," Dave said.

The mission for the 127th is security.

"For me in my mindset, it's just a job. Just a job. Go over there and do it and come back," they say.

Two brothers taking their competitive nature overseas, together.

"It's a lot of fun," they say. "We're having a lot of fun with it."

Ellie