PDA

View Full Version : USMC Band

RichBX0600
09-13-08, 12:48 AM
When I signed up at MEPS I filled out the form that said I had past musical experience, and just recently (2 months later) a Gunnery Sergant from the USMC Band contacted me for an audition. She sent me the audition requirements and sheet music for it, and it all looks playable. I have been very interested in a Data Systems job in the Corps, so this has thrown me for a bit of a loop. My recruiter told me straight up that he thinks I should go for the audition and do 2-3 years in the band (if I make it) and then lat move into a BX job to get some rank on my collar, but this seems like kind of a cheap way to do this. I was hoping to get some input on other people who either a) have filled a BX contract or b) lat moved out of the band.

Thanks so much for the advice in advance!

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-13-08, 12:51 AM
Don't ever count on a lat move. The job you're wanting to move to may not need you when you're ready to move, or the Marine Corps may just decide that they'd be better off by keeping you where you are.

If you're interested in continuing your musical career, the Marine Corps is a great place to do it. Some of the best musicians in the world are in bands in the Marine Corps. It is very competitive, if you have the skill to make it, then you're pretty darn good.

At the same time, if being in the band doesn't excite you, do what you want to do. It is your life, don't let anyone else try to live it for you.

RichBX0600
09-13-08, 12:55 AM
I love music and was in a touring rock band playing keyboard for 3 years, so it's not that it wouldn't be a great experience, it's just not exactly what I expected from the Corps. As for lat moves, are they uncommon, or just not really a choice?

UsmcMotorT
09-13-08, 06:54 AM
You can pick the MOS you want and play music on your off time, lots of marines do it.

Unless you want music to be your career, then you should try out for the band.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-13-08, 11:22 AM
Lat moves aren't all that uncommon, however in my experience it is pretty uncommon to see them happen before the end of your first enlistment.

If for nothing else, think about the amount of money, time, and energy that the Marine Corps spends to train new Marines in their first MOS. They expect a certain return on that investment, and that is having a Marine in that MOS for the next 3-4 years.

And like I said, the MOS you'd like to have may not need a new Cpl. when you're ready to move into it. If that is the case, then you'll be left without that option. Nobody knows what the future holds for them, the Marine Corps makes that even more the case. You have some flexibility when you enlist as a means to attract new recruits. However, as a Marine everything is dictated by the needs of the Corps.

Marine84
09-13-08, 04:16 PM
If you DO take the band option, you had better pass EVERY audition. IF you don't, you'll get thrown into whatever MOS they need a body in like..............................supply.