PDA

View Full Version : Currently in USAF DEP, can I switch?

Daisuke
09-12-08, 09:35 AM
Hello all. I'm currently in the USAF DEP. Went to an airshow last month on a Marine base and learned that Marine crew chiefs get to fly with their choppers. That was a shock to me because in the...

AL49BGN
09-12-08, 09:41 AM
Go talk to a Marine Recruiter,they will tell you what to do.You can drop out of DEP that is not a Problem,you will not be legally bound until you sign and swear in for the Last time at MEPS when you ship out to BootCamp.Good Luck!

davblay
09-12-08, 09:49 AM
Before anyone else replies, Daisuke (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=54979) follow these links:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28025

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28477

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989

After you have followed these links and done as they say, then come back and ask again.

Dave

Daisuke
09-12-08, 09:55 AM
Before anyone else replies, Daisuke (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=54979) follow these links:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28025

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=29048

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28477

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28989

After you have followed these links and done as they say, then come back and ask again.

Dave

The only link I did not follow was filling out my profile. The rest does not apply to my post, especially considering my grammar and spelling is top notch.

Either way, profile has been filled out.

davblay
09-12-08, 10:05 AM
The only link I did not follow was filling out my profile. The rest does not apply to my post, especially considering my grammar and spelling is top notch.

Every link I posted pertains to all visitors on this site. Besides you profile is not complete!

This is a Marine Corps site, my friend, we have rules for a reason! On this site a wannabe does not correct a Marine that took the time to post what you need here!

Lets add two more rules for you,

1) a Marine is always right on this site!

2) if a Marine is wrong, see rule one! :marine:

Good luck,

Dave

Wyoming
09-12-08, 10:12 AM
I dunno about the DP question, as I sometimes believe in '66, we, Crew Chiefs, were as much cannon fodder as were our fellow Brothers in the RVN.

We didn't have the rules and requirements that I read of today. We flew single crew, and at times just us and the HAC. It all depended on the mission. Test flights, as a rule were not crewed, or gunned, in the RVN, and certainly not in the States.

The camraderie between the drivers and the CC's was awesome. In the air, we were equals and the 1st name basis was there. Once on the ground we reverted, but not to such a strict standard, with the drivers.

There are 2 good posts, re; CC's. I recall nothing on DP. Sorry.

One other thing --

-- watch the attitude. It can get out of hand quickly.

OOOPS - Dave iffen I was too quick with my post, as per your request, I apologize.

Quinbo
09-12-08, 10:13 AM
If you want to be an enlisted aviator with your hand on the controls you need to go see an Army recruiter.

Daisuke
09-12-08, 10:21 AM
Every link I posted pertains to all visitors on this site. Besides you profile is not complete!

This is a Marine Corps site, my friend, we have rules for a reason! On this site a wannabe does not correct a Marine that took the time to post what you need here!

Lets add two more rules for you,

1) a Marine is always right on this site!

2) if a Marine is wrong, see rule one! :marine:

Good luck,

Dave

Haha, I did not mean any disrespect or anything. I had read over the rules before posting. I just had not yet filled out my profile. Was actually working on that as I read your post.

Daisuke
09-12-08, 10:23 AM
If you want to be an enlisted aviator with your hand on the controls you need to go see an Army recruiter.

Actually, I used the wrong word. I did not necessarily mean I wanted to become a pilot. I meant to just say "aircrew." Sorry for the confusion.

AL49BGN
09-12-08, 10:38 AM
Actually, I used the wrong word. I did not necessarily mean I wanted to become a pilot. I meant to just say "aircrew." Sorry for the confusion.
Daisuke when a Marine corrects a Poolee or wannabee especially a NCO such as Davblay do not answer back or try to explain yourself.I noticed a bit of an attitude whether you ment to or not.No matter which branch you join,you will learn very quickly not to do that.We are all here to help you but these Marines will be showed the respect that they have earned.
Some of the Marines on this site are Recruiters and will be able to help you I suggest you listen to them and do as they say,they can give you very valuable advice.Good Luck!

MyCorps
09-12-08, 10:48 AM
[quote=Daisuke;388617]
At MEPS, I failed their depth perception test. There's a million things wrong with their test, so I knew I would fail it before I even took it. I went to an optometrist days later and miraculously I have depth perception. I knew I had DP anyway, but I sought an optometrist in hopes of submitting a waiver. The USAF SG recently decided that DEPers' eye records would no longer be upgraded prior to BMT, so my waiver was rejected.

You are already a quitter. You quit the eye test before you even took it!
There is no room for quitters in the Marine Corps. If the Air Force rejects you, why would you think the Marine Corps would want you?

You are wrong on your point of Air Force crew cheifs not flying with their assigned aircraft. If your recruiter told you this then he is wrong. I can think of atleast 10 aircraft the Air Force has that the crew cheifs fly on.

You are a disrespectful, unqualified civilian puke then needs to get his lid screwed down tighter. Straighten your act up.

rvillac2
09-12-08, 11:10 AM
LOL.. Captain Harris is letting his inner NCO out.

thewookie
09-12-08, 11:32 AM
There is no room for quitters in the Marine Corps. If the Air Force rejects you, why would you think the Marine Corps would want you?

You are wrong on your point of Air Force crew cheifs not flying with their assigned aircraft. If your recruiter told you this then he is wrong. I can think of atleast 10 aircraft the Air Force has that the crew cheifs fly on.

You are a disrespectful, unqualified civilian puke then needs to get his lid screwed down tighter. Straighten your act up.

Nice.

Daisuke
09-12-08, 11:47 AM
At MEPS, I failed their depth perception test. There's a million things wrong with their test, so I knew I would fail it before I even took it. I went to an optometrist days later and miraculously I have depth perception. I knew I had DP anyway, but I sought an optometrist in hopes of submitting a waiver. The USAF SG recently decided that DEPers' eye records would no longer be upgraded prior to BMT, so my waiver was rejected.

You are a moron. Hell, you can't use the quotes correctly. I'm not a quitter, I'm a realist. 90% of the people who take the depth perception test at MEPS FAIL. There has been numerous claims of people incorrectly administering the test at MEPS. Either because the slide isn't inserted appropriately, improper lighting, being rushed, etc. Not only was I rushed through the test (given five seconds to respond, WTF?), but the dickhead didn't even explain the examples to me. This is incorrect adminstration.

The USAF did not reject me. I am in their DEP. I am not disrespectful nor am I unqualified. You're just an idiot; I'm perfectly qualified. The only thing I did not qualify for was the aircrew jobs (and a couple others) because they required depth perception. When an optometrist tells me I have depth perception, which trumps the guy at MEPS who isn't even a doctor, let alone an optrometrist, then it's safe to say I'm 100% qualified for all of the jobs in the USAF.

Nice try, though. Maybe next time you try to act like an Internet badass, you won't look like such a toolbox.

Daisuke
09-12-08, 11:55 AM
Originally Posted by MEPCOM Regulation 40-1

5-23. Instructions for AFVT

a. The AFVT depth perception test is difficult for some applicants with normal vision to interpret correctly. Common errors in the use of the AFVT include improper positioning of the variable prism eye pieces during testing, improper instruction, improper use of the light switch mechanisms located on the back of the machine. False failures can result if the examiner does not give a thorough, unrushed demonstration of what is expected and does not allow an adequate practice session before beginning the actual test. All Air Force applicants going Class III, air traffic controller, crew member, or commissioning (as well as Navy commissioning physicals) will be tested for depth perception using the AFVT.

b. Specific instructions. To explain the test, the applicant will first be shown a demonstration device consisting of a transparent plastic plate with four black circles on the rear surface, one in the front. As in the depth perception test itself, one circle appears nearer than the other four. After the plastic demonstration model of the test has been shown, the applicant is told to look into the instrument and focus on group A, the three rows of circles in the upper left corner of the square.

(1) The first group will be used to further explain the test and allow time (not greater than 2 minutes) for the perception of depth to develop. The top row of five circles in group A demonstrates a relatively large difference in depth, the middle row a moderate difference, and the bottom row a small difference. Some applicants may not see any depth for the first minute or so. In such cases, do not hurry through the practice test.

(2) You may tell the correct answers to the three rows of group A and instruct the applicant to look at each circle in turn until the applicant can see that one of the five circles in each row is nearer than the others.

(3) You may use the occluder to demonstrate that with monocular (one-eyed) vision all the circles appear in the same plane, while with binocular (two-eyed) vision, one may appear nearer than the other four. When you are satisfied that the applicant actually sees depth in at least the top row, proceed to the actual test. This will be given without any help or hints used in the practice period. The testing procedures are as follows:

(a) The applicant will be asked to indicate by number, counting from left to right, which circle is nearer in the top, the middle, and the bottom rows of group B. If all three answers are correct, the same questions will be asked for group C, group D, etc.

(b) The test will be discontinued when the applicant gives one or more incorrect answers in any one group beyond group A, with one exception: If one or more incorrect answers are given in group B, repeat the practice session with group A, then have the applicant try group B again. Any incorrect answers after group B, or after a second try on group B, the test will be discontinued and graded accordingly.

(c) Test score and recording. The testing score is the letter designator of the last group in which no errors were made. For a passing score, there will be no misses through group D. Failing score is recorded simply as “Fail” on DD Form 2808. Passing score is recorded as follows: “Pass (D),” if group D is the last group without errors; “Pass” (E),” if group E is the last group without errors; or “Pass (F),” if there were no errors through and including group F. The results are entered on DD Form 2808. If spectacles or contact lenses are not worn, enter the score on DD Form 2808, item 67. If spectacles or contact lenses are worn, enter the score in item section titled "Corrected".

thewookie
09-12-08, 12:03 PM
cya later pal

Daisuke
09-12-08, 12:07 PM
cya later pal

Adios cabron.