View Full Version : Sept. 11 service brings closure

thedrifter
09-12-08, 06:37 AM
Sept. 11 service brings closure
Comments | Recommend
September 12, 2008 - 1:19AM
MOLLY DEWITT
DAILY NEWS STAFF

To the world you might only be one person, but to one person you might be the world.

That was the sentiment expressed at Thursday's Patriot Day memorial ceremony held at City Hall to remember those who lost their lives on Sept. 11, 2001.

Members of the Onslow Civic Affairs Committee and local law enforcement and rescue agencies participated in the ceremony, holding photographs of 20 randomly selected people who perished in the 9/11 attacks. A narrator gave a glimpse into each of their lives.

"Tragedies have a way of unifying us, they have a way of reminding us that we stand on common ground," the narrator said.

The ceremony provided a sense of closure for some.

Thomas Smith, a New York firefighter who recently moved to Jacksonville, attended the service. Smith's father, also a New York firefighter, responded to the scene of the 9/11 attacks.

"(The ceremony) helps for closure. They never found my father, they never had a funeral," Smith said.

Smith said he visited the World Trade Center every day for three months after 9/11 as he worked with the Federal Emergency Management Agency and looked for his father.

"When times get rough I look at pictures ... they actually just named a highway in Long Island New York after my father," Smith said "It's the ongoing rememberance and support from people and stuff that helps."

Members of the Beirut Memorial Chapter of the Military Order of the Purple Heart attended the ceremony, remembering military members who have died in the war on terror since 9/11 and those who continue to fight in it.

"It's important that we all remember that freedom isn't free and that although we come here in remembrance of an event that happened seven years ago we cannot forget what happens on a daily basis," said Joe Houle, commander of the MOPH Beirut Memorial Chapter. "We as Purple Hearts stand ready to serve any of these men and women who serve today ... Remember, some gave a little, but some gave all."

Terri Williams, whose husband serves as a captain with the Jacksonville Fire Department echoed Houle's sentiments.

"I think we should have a ceremony like this to remember those who died serving our country and who still serve our country ... we need to be there for them," she said.

Immediately after the events of 9/11 there was an outpouring of support for law enforcement and emergency responders, said Kevin Davis, a captain with the Jacksonville Fire Department. The show of support eventually died down but ceremonies like the one held Thursday are a reminder to those people that they are not forgotten, he said.

"The actual act of this becoming a Patriot Day celebration has really made a big impact on first responders ... it really does help keep fired departments and emergency services part of a year event and gives honor to public service folks," Davis said. "We enjoy the recognition we get."

Although remembering the fallen is often difficult, it is also important, said David Koonce of Jacksonville.

"It chokes me up. It was a defining moment in America, and we all remember where we were that day," Koonce said. "It just makes you think back about the people who died for us - to this day we should all remember always."

Contact Jacksonville/Onslow government reporter Molly DeWitt at 910-219-8455. Visit www.jdnews.com to comment.

Ellie