PDA

View Full Version : Boot Camp now easy?

USMC Archer
09-11-08, 11:27 PM
I signed with the Army in 2003. I have 1 more year to go until I can switch to the Marine Corps.

I have been told that all military branches boot camp/basic training has been significantly reduced to lower standards. Along with a easier, less discipline, and less physical training.

In the Army we all know that ACU basic training is a joke now. 1st SGTs turn their heads as a private is failing his PT test, and continues to count.

I went through BDU basic training which was no walk in the park. I was told by many Marine friends that enlisted during the same time, that Marine boot camp was hell. I believe every word of it, and as though it seemed similar it also seemed like stress and intensity was x 2 of what I experienced.

Now I hear though, that even the Marine Corps has been enforced to empliment no stress, and no swearing regulations. Marines are born to kill, I better get the **** kicked out of me in boot camp.

Will I be dissappointed when I goto boot camp? To be honest with ya I want the **** kicked out of me mentally and physically. Can some new privates give me some fresh insight on the (new) boot camp?

USMC Archer
09-11-08, 11:28 PM
Oops sorry for swearing.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-11-08, 11:36 PM
This needs to be in the poolee hall or ask a Marine forum. We try to keep posts from prospective Marines confined to those areas.

USMC Archer
09-11-08, 11:36 PM
This needs to be in the poolee hall or ask a Marine forum. We try to keep posts from prospective Marines confined to those areas.

I apologize, if a Moderator could move it that would be cool.

onux16
09-12-08, 04:39 AM
I graduated boot camp in Nov. 2006 supposedly around the time when a lot of these rules were implemented. The Drill Instructors may not be able to curse or beat the crap out of a recruit, but the Marine Corps Order specifically states that the only place hazing is allowed is in recruit training, and the Drill Instructors make full use of it. And training begins before you even got on the bus! What I'm trying to get at is stress is still extremely high, even with these new rules.

yellowwing
09-12-08, 04:55 AM
I apologize, if a Moderator could move it that would be cool.
Got you covered!

As to your questions, the difference is night and day! We are trained by Drill Instructors. And that's more than just semantics.

They only have 13 weeks to instill lessons that will last a lifetime. They use every waking hour to drive home harsh lessons.

You hit the yellow footprints as a mob of raggedy ass individuals. Then comes the painful process of becoming one cohesive unit that can do anything.

Every Recruits' Character and Heart must be tailored to be Always Faithful. If you get that, then for the rest of your life every Marine will be your Brother.

If you need a picture drawn for you take a look at this outstanding video:
http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=c5d_1217188288

BR34
09-12-08, 07:00 AM
There ain't no new Marine thats going to come here and tell you about the language their D.I. used or how their D.I. used to punch people in their nuts...nobody wants to get their Drill Instructors in trouble, so if that's the stories you want to hear, you won't get them.

TJR1070
09-12-08, 07:47 AM
You have some very interesting opinions for someone who is in the Army. Why don't you wait and tell us what you think about our boot camp after you complete recruit training.

AndreBlanks
09-12-08, 08:48 AM
I just graduated and honestly it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I think being 22 helped, as a lot of the just-out-of-high school recruits had a harder time being away from home and we had some really out of shape recruits but most of them did good and pushed themselves and one even lost 40 pounds. Honestly, I was hoping for more of a "hardcore"/psycho-drill instructor environment but I guess it's just part of the politically correct times now. Our drill instructors swore, but we couldn't. There were so many screw ups in my dang platoon it was really demotivating. Honestly, it was like most of the recruits just watched FMJ once and thought boot camp would just be some wacky summer camp with a rifle. Some kids never developed any sense of discipline and didn't even care or respect the uniform. They barely dropped anyone--I talked to one recruit who said he asked the SDI why they don't drop all the idiots/weak ones (how do you go all through boot camp without being able to do 3 dang pull ups!?) and he said it was passed down not to drop people because the Marine Corps needs bodies. So is it easy? I wouldn't say it's easy but I just really was hoping more of the old school-type boot camp that you always hear about.

Old Marine
09-12-08, 09:58 AM
I was at MCRD, San Diego last friday for the D.I. Association Reunion and when we were standing around waiting for the ceramony to commence at the D.I. Memorial. This very loud horn goes off and we all looked at each other, as we had never heard this horn during our day on the field. One guy said that the heat index was too high and all physical activity had to cease including COD.

I guess when this new breed gets to Iraq, there will be a horn and all physical activity will cease.

thewookie
09-12-08, 11:54 AM
Will I be dissappointed when I goto boot camp? To be honest with ya I want the **** kicked out of me mentally and physically. Can some new privates give me some fresh insight on the (new) boot camp?

Of course it's easier then it should be, but that's not our fault. It's mother's of freaking America and weak azz MFers that cry to Congressmen or their mommies. Boot camp has been getting easier since 1956 -- the Ribbon Creek forced-march. Get ova it. The boot camp I went to was easier then the guys before me, and after I left it got even easier. BFD - Not my choice, but I ain't sweatin it cause I can't control that.

You can only disappoint yourself, it's all about your attitude. Given your experience; you should have no problem at boot camp, you should challenge yourself for the Company Honor Man and not look for ways to whine about how easy it is. Make it hard, shoot for the top spot.

Let me give you a little tip, boot camp is easy. BFD. If you want to get the crap beat out of you - then push on after boot camp. Boot camp is the basic indoctrination to our fine Corps, and military life in general.

It's not where the rubber meets the road, well, it might be the first place.

The real deal is when you get to the fleet. Then make something out of yourself, find the challenges and overcome them, don't just be a shiat talking wanna beee.

darkgreen0311
09-12-08, 12:50 PM
I had a reunion this past Labor Day weekend with a several of my friends from my unit. We all agreed that we believed that Marine Corps boot camp has gotten soft. I read an article a while ago where a platoon i believe at Parris Island had graduated a platoon of 80 something Marines. There's no way that many recruits are suppose to graduate in platoon of that many. We started with 65 and graduated 45. That's a problem

:marine:SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!

THAT AINT IT
09-12-08, 02:37 PM
I had a reunion this past Labor Day weekend with a several of my friends from my unit. We all agreed that we believed that Marine Corps boot camp has gotten soft. I read an article a while ago where a platoon i believe at Parris Island had graduated a platoon of 80 something Marines. There's no way that many recruits are suppose to graduate in platoon of that many. We started with 65 and graduated 45. That's a problem

Yeah boot camp may be getting "easier" but it's still no rose garden. I agree 80 recruits is way too many to graduate out of one platoon. We started with 75 and ended with 57.

usmc0331
09-12-08, 03:11 PM
Of course it's easier then it should be, but that's not our fault. It's mother's of freaking America and weak azz MFers that cry to Congressmen or their mommies. Boot camp has been getting easier since 1956 -- the Ribbon Creek forced-march. Get ova it. The boot camp I went to was easier then the guys before me, and after I left it got even easier. BFD - Not my choice, but I ain't sweatin it cause I can't control that.

You can only disappoint yourself, it's all about your attitude. Given your experience; you should have no problem at boot camp, you should challenge yourself for the Company Honor Man and not look for ways to whine about how easy it is. Make it hard, shoot for the top spot.

Let me give you a little tip, boot camp is easy. BFD. If you want to get the crap beat out of you - then push on after boot camp. Boot camp is the basic indoctrination to our fine Corps, and military life in general.

It's not where the rubber meets the road, well, it might be the first place.

The real deal is when you get to the fleet. Then make something out of yourself, find the challenges and overcome them, don't just be a shiat talking wanna beee.

RIGHT THE FREAK ON! I went to boot camp june 6 1997 and we were one of the last platoons to use the smoker(4x4 boxing ring) for combat hitting skills etc, towards the middle of bootcamp we were told we couldnt use "kill" in our movement ditty's and had to change it to "drill" wtf is that?? Our DI"S were hardcore and for sure took a hands on approach with us but thats why our platoon was #1

sadly boot camp is a joke now ,combat training has been replaced with 1st term marriage classe, fiscal management class, defensive driving classes etc-total BS-keep in mind these classes go on at boot camp. Too many ppl complain to their senators that they get cussed at or touched and those political pricks shut down our training.

usmc0331
09-12-08, 03:12 PM
Yeah boot camp may be getting "easier" but it's still no rose garden. I agree 80 recruits is way too many to graduate out of one platoon. We started with 75 and ended with 57.

we started with 78 and graduated with 49. Lost a ton during swim qual and rifle range

RYDERKUR
09-12-08, 04:42 PM
I just graduated and honestly it was a lot easier than I thought it would be. I think being 22 helped, as a lot of the just-out-of-high school recruits had a harder time being away from home and we had some really out of shape recruits but most of them did good and pushed themselves and one even lost 40 pounds. Honestly, I was hoping for more of a "hardcore"/psycho-drill instructor environment but I guess it's just part of the politically correct times now. Our drill instructors swore, but we couldn't. There were so many screw ups in my dang platoon it was really demotivating. Honestly, it was like most of the recruits just watched FMJ once and thought boot camp would just be some wacky summer camp with a rifle. Some kids never developed any sense of discipline and didn't even care or respect the uniform. They barely dropped anyone--I talked to one recruit who said he asked the SDI why they don't drop all the idiots/weak ones (how do you go all through boot camp without being able to do 3 dang pull ups!?) and he said it was passed down not to drop people because the Marine Corps needs bodies. So is it easy? I wouldn't say it's easy but I just really was hoping more of the old school-type boot camp that you always hear about.

WTFlyingF???? I was there only a year and half ago and believe me, the way you describe it versus mine makes it sound like I went through the Vietnam Era boot camp. We started with like 68 and graduated like 55 or so and that was after picking guys up too. There were a lot of nasties who went away for failures and like 8 or so for "mental failures" I.E. Suicide threats/attempts, mother f'ers swinging at DI's, failing the Crucible, etc. I can't believe in just a year and half it has changed this much. ITB though was a joke, they pushed a lot of people through who I didn't even think should have claimed the title Marine. Damn, pretty wordy, but this bothers me, comparing what you have written versus mine and the apparent change in a year and half. Mind you these were both one platoon in one company, in one battalion, at one Recruit Depot at one time.

Mikewebe
09-12-08, 04:50 PM
I don't think the term easy will ever apply to boot anyone who says it is or was is either a genetic and mental freak or has had a real bad childhood

HurricaneRJ
09-12-08, 04:51 PM
That seems about right, on what he said.

Those who got dropped where those who couldn't shoot, or pass the PFT.

About discipline. You learn more when you're in pain. "Discipline through pain". D.I.s have their hands behind they're back.

Mikewebe
09-12-08, 04:58 PM
I wasn't in the best of shape I would say average at best when I showed up. I knew the basics such as rank and some of the history. But I learned a whole lot while there and was in great shape when I graduated. My DI's were not nice men till we graduated, and they were honest, they told one kid at graduation that he was only a man in a green and tan suit not a Marine

darkgreen0311
09-12-08, 05:16 PM
They don't have the smoker anymore in boot camp? What about mess duty or guard duty?

Brewer0311
09-12-08, 06:03 PM
I guess when this new breed gets to Iraq, there will be a horn and all physical activity will cease.

My buddy just got back from his 13 month deployment on a MTT and stopped in Al Asad on his way home. He said they drove in a POV to meet up with another guy they knew that had been stationed there his whole deployment. The guy was like "WTF" and they said "what?" Then their friend said "Its a black flag no one is supposed to be out driving or anything except key personell"

So yes some places in Iraq now won't let you be out if it's too hot lol. It was 138 degrees the day I left and me and the rest of my Marines were in humvees with no AC in full PPE. I guess some people just get the perks of being on a winger base. :marine:

SGT7477
09-12-08, 08:30 PM
I signed with the Army in 2003. I have 1 more year to go until I can switch to the Marine Corps.

I have been told that all military branches boot camp/basic training has been significantly reduced to lower standards. Along with a easier, less discipline, and less physical training.

In the Army we all know that ACU basic training is a joke now. 1st SGTs turn their heads as a private is failing his PT test, and continues to count.

I went through BDU basic training which was no walk in the park. I was told by many Marine friends that enlisted during the same time, that Marine boot camp was hell. I believe every word of it, and as though it seemed similar it also seemed like stress and intensity was x 2 of what I experienced.

Now I hear though, that even the Marine Corps has been enforced to empliment no stress, and no swearing regulations. Marines are born to kill, I better get the **** kicked out of me in boot camp.

I hope it isn't a rose garden.:evilgrin:

AndreBlanks
09-12-08, 10:59 PM
WTFlyingF???? I was there only a year and half ago and believe me, the way you describe it versus mine makes it sound like I went through the Vietnam Era boot camp. We started with like 68 and graduated like 55 or so and that was after picking guys up too. There were a lot of nasties who went away for failures and like 8 or so for "mental failures" I.E. Suicide threats/attempts, mother f'ers swinging at DI's, failing the Crucible, etc. I can't believe in just a year and half it has changed this much. ITB though was a joke, they pushed a lot of people through who I didn't even think should have claimed the title Marine. Damn, pretty wordy, but this bothers me, comparing what you have written versus mine and the apparent change in a year and half. Mind you these were both one platoon in one company, in one battalion, at one Recruit Depot at one time.

Well in that case I really wish I signed up a year and a half ago! I don't know--I just really was hoping for a real psychotic experience. I mean it's still different from other services--my brother and I were comparing Marine Corps boot camp with his Navy boot camp. You'll like this--we graduated with 84! There was 3 medical drops, 3 suicide attempts (with the razor head!? Puh-lease...), and 1 rifle range unq. God there were so many dirt bags I wanted to ask why they joined the Marine Corps. One kid was this fat sloppy tub a goo and all the way until the Final PFT he could barely get 3 pull ups. Once he got off his diet he went back to eating cake and all that trash. Several kids fell out on hikes, including a few that gave out and got to ride up the Reaper in the back of the truck.

So many kids just didn't get it it seemed like--no discipline or respect for themselves, the history of the Corps or the uniform. Always joking around and laughing, talking in formation/on-line, touching their faces, not caring for their uniforms. Honestly it really started to get to me after the Crucible after they gave us our Eagle Globe and Anchors, the second we get back to the squad by they start sitting on the foot lockers, hanging their heads down, all sorts of nasty crap. Being lazy because it's almost time to go home. One kid was even complaining about, "how much money they take from us!" It was really disheartening for me and the maybe 6 other recruits that actually put out all cycle.

Sgt. Vernazzaro/thewookie is right though--it's easy and that sucks for those that wanted the all out experience but make it tough on yourself and put out shoot for the top spot. That and once you're in the fleet put out and take the initiative to find the challenges and overcome them.

RYDERKUR
09-12-08, 11:15 PM
No, I hear you though bro. I was talking to Marines who said a kid got his Eagle, Globe, and Anchor in the F'in safety van on the hump back from the Crucible, and this is a true story verified by many different Marines. I mean, are you F'in serious, I could have swore the Crucible was the "final test," "forging of fire," etc, that HAD to be passed to graduate. During ITB, this same kid didn't make it even a mile, during the 15K hump. For you Geiger Tigers, he didn't even make it to the Wendy's, which is pretty damn close to the barracks and start of the hump. He rode that one and most of the 20K in the 7-ton. He did get dropped to the next company in ITB, but still graduated with the next company. If this isn't adding up, boot camp a year and half ago and then ITB with brand new Marines, I was a 92 Day Reservist. This disheartens me and I can hardly imagine what it is like to salties to hear of this nastiness that is becoming more prevalent and accepted. This isn't the Corps I want.

AndreBlanks
09-13-08, 12:09 AM
No, I hear you though bro. I was talking to Marines who said a kid got his Eagle, Globe, and Anchor in the F'in safety van on the hump back from the Crucible, and this is a true story verified by many different Marines. I mean, are you F'in serious, I could have swore the Crucible was the "final test," "forging of fire," etc, that HAD to be passed to graduate. During ITB, this same kid didn't make it even a mile, during the 15K hump. For you Geiger Tigers, he didn't even make it to the Wendy's, which is pretty damn close to the barracks and start of the hump. He rode that one and most of the 20K in the 7-ton. He did get dropped to the next company in ITB, but still graduated with the next company. If this isn't adding up, boot camp a year and half ago and then ITB with brand new Marines, I was a 92 Day Reservist. This disheartens me and I can hardly imagine what it is like to salties to hear of this nastiness that is becoming more prevalent and accepted. This isn't the Corps I want.

Honestly, do you want people like that next to you in combat? I don't. One of our Drill Instructors flat out said, "You're ruining my Marine Corps." Not to mention we were booger platoon. I don't know if it's because so many kids were just out of high school or what, maybe it's different with the older-age platoons. But like another Drill Instructor said--one way or another the ones who just skate by under the radar and the ones who didn't learn a dang thing will get theirs in the fleet one way or another. Oh well.

RYDERKUR
09-13-08, 12:12 AM
That is very true, and I guess that is a good point to leave it at that. 'Rahhh and congrats brother.

mark king
09-13-08, 10:35 AM
we started with 78 and graduated with 49. Lost a ton during swim qual and rifle range

Started with 65,finished with 42.

Old Marine
09-13-08, 11:28 AM
Started with 65,finished with 42.

When the NAM was going hot and heavy, we would pick up 90 scum bags from receiving and graduation day 90 Marines stood tall in front of the Depot Theater. Could not drop any because Robert McNamara (Sec. Defence) said so.

SlingerDun
09-13-08, 04:56 PM
About the beginning of third phase most of us had drafted up a short calendar on the inside back cover of our prac binders where it wasn't immediately visible to prying DI eyeballs, meticulously filling in each day completed. Eventually we were all counting days and the DI's even allowed for lively short timers cadence.

Many privates including myself said: you couldn't pay me enough to go back even one day in training.... "Well what if you got set back? "Well thats different and i don't even want to think about it! but i wouldn't willingly go back one day for X amount of $

If this mentality is prevalent then it may be an indicator boot camp is still hard enough on todays basic issue recruit

--->Dave

AndreBlanks
09-13-08, 07:12 PM
Yeah that irked me too--we had recruits making those dang calenders during Week 1 and counting down the whole way. Hello--YOU signed up to come here, why are you counting down days instead of focusing on training!?

YutYut
09-14-08, 07:16 PM
I think it has to do with the type of people going to boot camp. In my platoon, it was a pretty even split of retarded sh*t bags and those that would give up their sack to be a Marine. We had one f*ck nut who got dropped because he couldn't do more than about 30 crunches, 1 pull-up, and he never got less than 30min 3miles. He ended up in comm school with me. He was still a bag of smashed *******s. I was selected (can you call it that?) for Sergeant when he had just made Corporal. He ended up being with V3/2, so I'm sure he ended up getting squared away at some point.

I have faith that, even if boot camp standards slip for whatever jackass reason, Marines will take care of their own in whatever way someone needs to be taken care of.

osborned
09-15-08, 01:16 AM
I think whether or not your platoon loses a lot of recruits to medical and such is more a measure on how willing your DI team is to give up on you than anything else. My team was two Gunnys and a SSgt, and their credo was that they'd make us all Marines, and they did. No drops for us.

Graduated Nov 7th, 2007 PLT 3225
GySgt Lee
GySgt Alexander
SSgt Gusovik

usmc0331
09-15-08, 10:19 AM
They don't have the smoker anymore in boot camp? What about mess duty or guard duty?

no smoker brother. Our platoon was one of the last to do it. Mess and maintenence week is gone as well. Its some gay hand holding week now where nothing is basically done. Still have basic fire watch though

THAT AINT IT
09-15-08, 10:43 AM
Pretty much all of the sh*tbags and sick bay commandos got dropped out of my platoon...except for about 3 of them. One kept ****ing herself...one was just flatout lazy...and the other one was on light duty 75% the time. She didn't finish a single hike the whole time but amazingly enough she somehow made the hike back from the Crucible. We about 10 med drops, 3 crazy ones, and 2 that just quit. There was one recruit in my sister platoon that faked 3 heat cases so she got sent home. On the hike back from the Crucible, a recruit in my sister platoon actually requested to quit literally 100 feet from the Iwo Jima monument. Boot camp, to me, was hell on earth...but i loved every second of it from the time i stepped on the footprints to the time i walked across that parade deck as a Marine.

smoking gunz
09-15-08, 02:18 PM
I just hope to God that when they get to fleet their team leaders and NCO'S "correct them properly" to get rid of those bad habits and to "correct them" until they become great Marines.

RememberMorriso
09-15-08, 11:35 PM
Alright here is the straight talk. All boot camps have gotten easier. Marine Corps has now lowered to what the Army's used to be a decade ago, and the Army's boot camp well... its nothing. Freakin stress cards!!! While I was at P.I. we had flags telling us it was to hot to train, we all were very very ****ed about that crap. I remember on one of the "humps" if you can call them that at P.I. we had to stop because it was to hot. What the hell are we going to do in Afghanistan when we have to hump over the mountains to contact on a dead line.

Mothers against America ruined boot camp, don't get me wrong its still hard. Drill Instructors make up the difference trust me on it (They haven't changed at all). Lol....

RememberMorriso
09-15-08, 11:41 PM
Oh just to mention what happens to the ****bag Marines who somehow slip through the cracks...

I am an 0311 in an Infantry Unit. We rarely get ****bags, when we do their lives are made a living hell. We have a new private who can only do 1 pull up and runs the 5k in over 30 minutes. Wtf... In my platoon if you don't run a 300 something is wrong with you (except for the cock diesel Marines, they are allowed over 18 minutes).

How the **** did that Marine make it through PI and ITB, ITB was hard as hell when I went through, and at PI you had to pass the PFT with flying colors or you would be dropped. No way that ****bag would have made it through my training companies.

Donut Brigade
09-15-08, 11:56 PM
I just graduated with 1009/Alpha and let a couple of POS to slip through. there was this Korean kid who could barely do 1 pull-up on a good day, and he ended up magically getting 3 on final PFT. Our series chief DI just looked away when he was doing pull-ups, then turned around and asked if he did 3 and the DI said 'yes'.

Another one was a pick up from a company 3 weeks back. we called him the 'silver surfer' because he managed to get the silver bullet FIVE times while in training. the funniest part is that his last name is Waterman, lol. we force-fed him water and salt during the whole Crucible and he still did the Reaper without his pack. our DIs refused to give him his Eagle Globe and Anchor and almost made him eat an MRE on the quarterdeck while rest of us enjoyed warriors breakfast, until the 1st sgt found out...well at least we made his life hell until last friday.

RememberMorriso
09-16-08, 12:08 AM
Same boat, I started with 76 (3rd Bn I Co) and graduated with 46. The first couple of weeks lost us a **** ton. Also that number is not including the amount of drops we obtained from Fat platoon and medical. So realistically we probably lost about 40 recruits. The final pft lost us a lot.

RememberMorriso
09-16-08, 12:43 AM
My buddy just got back from his 13 month deployment on a MTT and stopped in Al Asad on his way home. He said they drove in a POV to meet up with another guy they knew that had been stationed there his whole deployment. The guy was like "WTF" and they said "what?" Then their friend said "Its a black flag no one is supposed to be out driving or anything except key personell"

So yes some places in Iraq now won't let you be out if it's too hot lol. It was 138 degrees the day I left and me and the rest of my Marines were in humvees with no AC in full PPE. I guess some people just get the perks of being on a winger base. :marine:

When we left Iraq it was well over 140F. I'm heading back to the sand box here shortly, I hate how our workup is going to be in the dead winter and by the time we hit Iraq its going to be hot as **** there. Worst part of it. I love how hummvees are supposed to have A/C lol show me a working A/C unit in Iraq and i'll suck your cock.

Wyoming
09-16-08, 08:44 AM
When we left Iraq it was well over 140F. I'm heading back to the sand box here shortly, I hate how our workup is going to be in the dead winter and by the time we hit Iraq its going to be hot as **** there. Worst part of it. I love how hummvees are supposed to have A/C lol show me a working A/C unit in Iraq and i'll suck your cock.

Son, do you have any other complaints or is your entire World consumed with *****ing?

Efforts
09-18-08, 10:21 AM
Boot camp- great to talk about, but you'll hesitate to go back. There's no greater memory of pain than revisiting the experience.

mark king
09-19-08, 05:54 AM
no smoker brother. Our platoon was one of the last to do it. Mess and maintenence week is gone as well. Its some gay hand holding week now where nothing is basically done. Still have basic fire watch though

WHAT THE HELL ????

sparkie
09-19-08, 06:18 AM
I went thru this thread looking for drops by suicide,,,,,, Maybe it is a little easier now.

LanceCriminal
09-19-08, 06:22 AM
When I was in boot camp it was not what I expected. Some drill instructors just didnt care about the rules though. We went through a couple Kill Hats because they kept beating recruits. If they know they can get away with it they will. The last Kill Hat we ended up with got away with breaking just about every rule. As long as the recruits don't say anything the DI's WILL do what it takes to instill the Corps core values into a recruit...even if that means making him eat his barracks cover the day before an inspection.

RememberMorriso
09-19-08, 02:49 PM
There are still drops by suicide. A recruit in my company jumped off the roof in a 3rd Bn sqaud bay. Broke both legs and some other bones but lived. They kept him there for a long long time I heard.

Fubar5812
09-19-08, 08:59 PM
i graduated in May 2008 and from what i remember...

we COULD Swear
D.I's Pitted Recruits for Alot longer than 15 minutes,even during 1st phase (i got sand pitted for 30 mins straight,he waited until he had done everyone in the plt before letting me go,i was near tears lol)
D.I's COULD touch us..for "safety" reasons only.
MCMAP and bayonet training where still intensive and hands on,no rubber blades.

we got our 8 hours of sleep,our 3 meals a day and our mail/free time (only lost free time once) yes it was extremely hard,yes we had our share of ****bags and starting with a platoon of 86 we dwindeld to 68 Marines come graduation.

davblay
09-20-08, 12:16 AM

Boot Camp is not getting easier, my friend! If you have never been thru it how do you guage it or compare it, well in your case the Army Basic training. So you can't compare it.

I promise you that it will be THE experience of your lifetime!

When you get back let us know how it went, ok?

Dave

Efforts
09-21-08, 09:49 AM
What you mean "maintenance week"? You mean Fleet week's gone? Could you be more clear with the definitions? Im actually nervous asking.

Efforts
09-21-08, 09:54 AM
There are still drops by suicide. A recruit in my company jumped off the roof in a 3rd Bn sqaud bay. Broke both legs and some other bones but lived. They kept him there for a long long time I heard.We had a runaway in '02. He took off to the treeline while we were punished in the nearby Pit- the hats never noticed. Bastard forgot it was Parris Island.

That was week 1.

RememberMorriso
09-21-08, 02:44 PM
Oh man I just remembered one of our **** bags. This recruit named Washington always ****ed himself. Whenever he got singled out, including the inspections he would **** himself. My senior made him wear adult diapers for several weeks, talk about embarrassing. He also was dumb, boarder line mental retardation. I don't know how this guy got into the Marine Corps, or graduated. He did run a high PFT in boot, but that was the only thing he had going. He got dropped from my platoon for failing all the quals for the rifle range.

Lickdem89
09-29-08, 02:40 PM
Alright I Just graduated and hell no its not easy and are you kidding even the captains swear at us.. Its a bit easier cause of stupid mothers of america and trust me the Drill Instructors remind you of this all the time! Crucible is hard as tits but like all Marine Bootcamps before its all do-able

Mikewebe
09-29-08, 03:56 PM
I like my tits firm but not hard thank you