PDA

View Full Version : A quick question

NeverQuit
09-11-08, 10:49 PM
I tore my ACL completely in June, about 2 weeks after i came off the 11th MEU, I had surgery in August and am now in physical therapy for recovery. The surgeon told me that it is going to take 8-12 months for a complete recovery and i wont be able to run until about the 6 month mark. My question is how do you all think this will effect my Marine Corps career, my 1st Sgt told me i probably wont be deploying with them mid next year. Anyone have any type of experience with this type of thing?

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-11-08, 10:52 PM
I didn't miss any deployments, but I did spend five months on light duty after a shoulder surgery. Only thing it did was prevented me from being promoted until I could complete a current PFT. If you don't have any lingering side effects from the injury it shouldn't have any long term impact on your career.

NeverQuit
09-11-08, 10:59 PM
Right now i have limited range of motion i cant fully lock my leg out and it only goes slightly past 90 degrees, i have alot of stiffness and pain, but there's no reason to complain, it happened doing what i love, pt is a great past time.

USMC Archer
09-11-08, 11:02 PM
Right now i have limited range of motion i cant fully lock my leg out and it only goes slightly past 90 degrees, i have alot of stiffness and pain, but there's no reason to complain, it happened doing what i love, pt is a great past time.

Unfortunately, I think it will effect your career for the time being. If you are able to PT and Deploy again you are good to go again.

NeverQuit
09-11-08, 11:12 PM
Right now the only thing they will let me do is Upper body at the gym, and things like crunches, pull ups etc. Due to my limited duty chit, but i guess if i push it then i will probably make it worse and risk tearing it again.

USMC Archer
09-11-08, 11:15 PM
Right now the only thing they will let me do is Upper body at the gym, and things like crunches, pull ups etc. Due to my limited duty chit, but i guess if i push it then i will probably make it worse and risk tearing it again.

I dated a girl in high school who tore hers. She pushed it too far, and lost a full ride scholarship in basketball.

I am in the Army, but I know how you Marines are....... You need to rest Marine. Get better then worry about running your 3 miles in 18 mins again.

Take care.