PDA

View Full Version : Introduction

FutureMarine09
09-11-08, 04:59 PM
Hello, my name is William from Provo, Utah. Shipping to MCRD 20090713, I'm currently Open Contract but I hope to find a MOS suited for me soon. I love the Marine Corps. And deciding to become a Marine is the best decision I've ever made.

My current IST scores:
Run time: 10:23
Crunches: 80
Pull Ups: 29

I hope to increase my run time and crunches drastically before I leave, and I'm aiming for a 300 PFT when I graduate basic. And suggestions and/or tips would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time

Wyoming
09-11-08, 05:32 PM
Welcome!!

29 pullups?

Slacker!

Just kidding.

YutYut
09-11-08, 05:44 PM
29 pull-ups??? Either your back is freakin broad as hell, or you count funny. :thumbup:

Welcome aboard.

mattlw201
09-11-08, 09:12 PM
A new Marine named Charles Harsha just got back from boot camp and said the record pull ups for his platoon was 77.

Psurichie
09-11-08, 09:23 PM
psst Its not called Basic!:sick: Good job with them pull ups!

jinelson
09-12-08, 07:32 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v660/jinelson/156100.jpg

Welcome Aboard William!

Jim

FutureMarine09
09-12-08, 09:42 AM
psst Its not called Basic!:sick: Good job with them pull ups!

Oops sorry, boot camp lol. When I did my pull ups Gunny counted them, so I'm assuming they are legit and not counted funny ;)
I'm glad to be aboard, this place is filled with what I need. Motivation, information, dedication, and Marines.

BR34
09-12-08, 12:34 PM
How can you do 29 pullups, run 1.5 in 10 and can't get the 100 crunches?!?!?

I want you to do 100 crunches in 2 minutes before the Marine Corps' birthday! That's your mission!!!

Welcome aboard and good luck!

Achped
09-12-08, 01:24 PM

I want you to do 100 crunches in 2 minutes before the Marine Corps' birthday! That's your mission!!!

I know, although in the fleet if you don't get 100 crunches its your partners fault :scared:

At boot for the final PFT I was paired up with the battalion chaplain...yeah go figure! He wasn't a hard @$$, but he was fair. "You didn't touch your thighs" AYE SIR!

I only got like 108 for my final pft.

But yeah, I'm willing to bet its his form, not his abs. Or he's got really really really short arms.

AL49BGN
09-12-08, 01:44 PM
Welcome to the Poolee Hall and good luck if you have any questions please feel free to ask us.

FutureMarine09
09-13-08, 11:48 PM

Well I took the IST a few months ago. But I've been working on my abs a lot recently so the next time I take the IST hopefully I'll get 100 or better :evilgrin: (I've never really focused on abs, but mostly my pull ups) But I'll definitely work hard to have 100 in by the time of the Marine Corps' birthday. I'll post in the results.

dizark
09-14-08, 04:01 PM
Congrats FutureMarine.

I have one question in regards to crunches that I hope you, or someone else stopping by this thread can answer quickly. Where can I find information or examples of how to do a proper Marine Corps crunch as I have been told that by going all the way up to your knees and back to the floor is a situp not a crunch.

29 pullups. Jesus man! I'm a little you know what when it comes to pullups and am working on them. I need to pick up some dumbells to increase my upper stength in my arms to assist with them.

futuremarine129
09-14-08, 04:22 PM
Could you tell me your secret to such a high number of pull-ups? I used to do Recon Ron until I pulled my shoulder, so I stopped and by the time I was supposed to be healthy again, I was back down to about 6. I'm working my way back up, but I'm at 9 or 10 now. Any tips?

FutureMarine09
09-14-08, 04:32 PM
Congrats FutureMarine.

I have one question in regards to crunches that I hope you, or someone else stopping by this thread can answer quickly. Where can I find information or examples of how to do a proper Marine Corps crunch as I have been told that by going all the way up to your knees and back to the floor is a situp not a crunch.

29 pullups. Jesus man! I'm a little you know what when it comes to pullups and am working on them. I need to pick up some dumbells to increase my upper stength in my arms to assist with them.

Well, the way my recruiters told me to do it was the fold my arms on my stomach and touch my elbows, then touch my legs with my forearms while keeping them on my stomach and that was one crunch. And also your shoulder blades have to touch the ground before you go back up again.

And as for the pull ups, train your back. Like push ups, dumb bell rows, swimming, anything to get your back stronger. You can also do a pyramid, like 1 pull up, 10 push ups, 2 pull ups, 10 push ups, 3 pull ups, 10 push ups and so forth. Go up to a number like 5 pull ups or something, then start heading back down with 10 push ups in between each set of pull ups.

BR34
09-14-08, 06:45 PM
And as for the pull ups, train your back.

That's good advice for someone that does them palms out. But for those of us that do pullups palms facing in, the most important thing to worry about is biceps/triceps/forearm/etc.

FutureMarine09
09-14-08, 06:51 PM
Sorry, that was my mistake, thanks for the clarification. I usually refer a palm facing in grip as a chin up. And for chin ups you rely more on your arm strength than your back strength to get your chin over the bar. So like Lance Corporal BR43 clarified, biceps/triceps/forearms will be a more important factor when doing chin ups. But you'll want to train those regardless as you'll want a well rounded body in every aspect

CharlesH
10-17-08, 12:07 PM
A new Marine named Charles Harsha just got back from boot camp and said the record pull ups for his platoon was 77.

hey mat, actually the record is was 97 at mcrd. There was a guy in my drill instructors previous cycle that did 77. how things going? you still going in? text me if you have any questions

870 405 1442