PDA

View Full Version : Learning other languages

nativetexan
09-11-08, 03:03 PM
I'm a poolee, I leave 20081201, I was wondering, after boot camp, MCT, and your MOS school, would it be possible for me to learn a new language? I believe it'd probably help me out if something happened to where I had revert back to civilian life. And if I'm able, how would I go about doing it?

amarine0311
09-11-08, 03:39 PM
Does your MOS require you to learn another language? If not then you are on your own in doing so. Rosetta Stone is a good start.

Mikewebe
09-11-08, 04:33 PM
Rosetta Stone will definitely help you. I lived in So Cal for years and could only learn minimal Spanish. I took one crash course in Serbo Croation while I was overseas and I would say that I am 40% fluent in about 8 weeks of class and a year having conversations with people. Being multi lingual is always a plus. Just stick with it and pick a language that you can actually use for income purposes

nativetexan
09-11-08, 05:01 PM
Rosetta Stone will definitely help you. I lived in So Cal for years and could only learn minimal Spanish. I took one crash course in Serbo Croation while I was overseas and I would say that I am 40% fluent in about 8 weeks of class and a year having conversations with people. Being multi lingual is always a plus. Just stick with it and pick a language that you can actually use for income purposes

I know some Spanish, but not completely fluent in it, So I was wanting to finish up in Spanish. I was also wanting to learn Farsi or maybe even Russian or German?

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-11-08, 05:27 PM
You can learn all you want to learn, but the Marine Corps isn't going to send you to get it done. If the classes are offered on a college campus near the base you are assigned to then you can take classes there and the Marine Corps will pay a great deal of the bill.

nativetexan
09-11-08, 07:12 PM
Alright, I'm gonna try the Rosetta Stone way first and then see whats up.

Mikewebe
09-11-08, 08:12 PM
If you are confident enough you can set up a D Lab as I am doing now, and if its a language they want they will work with you. Its too hard to come by these days and I have a language that is semi interesting to the Corps and they want me to test. So Russian is good, Farsi will work for the next 20 years, look at the hot spots and see what languages would be good to learn in the next 2 years. Or look towards your future and realize if you want to get into import export, International Law etc... then pick something more practical. If you can speak English, Spanish and French you can travel 80% of the world.

AndreBlanks
09-12-08, 09:11 AM
During boot camp our Series Commander was telling us how a lot of the time MCCS offers classes to learn languages. He had learned some Japanese before going over to Okinawa before. As far as learning something that could help your career--that's obviously good advice. My brother took German in high school and how the heck does that help him now? I told him to take Spanish but whatever. I know the Army has a Military Version of Rosetta Stone Arabic, I'm sure the Marine Corps would have access to it or you could contact Rosetta Stone.

nativetexan
09-12-08, 05:45 PM
Yeah I'm wanting to learn a language that I know I'm gonna need in the future. I just want something new and exciting :)

jackson07
09-17-08, 12:09 PM
MOSs 267X.