PDA

View Full Version : A Marine Hopeful in College

Bird Fisher
09-11-08, 11:10 AM
Good Morning Marines,

My question is relativly simple. Do the Marines have reserves? I know that the USMC has the Ready Reserves, but do they have regular reserves. What I am basically asking is, "Is there a viable option for me to enlist in the reserves during college, then after I earn my degree, continue onto OCS?"

Thank you.

davblay
09-11-08, 11:15 AM
YES! There is your simple answer. Check with your local recruiter for the location and contact number.

Good luck, I hope we have what you want.

Dave

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-11-08, 12:03 PM
The Marine Corps does have reserves, and depending on your location you can do most things that an active duty Marine can do. San Antonio is home to HQ 4th Recon Bn and Charlie Company 4th Recon Bn. This link (http://www.marforres.usmc.mil/units/TX.asp) will take you to a page listing all reserve units in the state of Texas.

amarine0311
09-11-08, 03:42 PM
This is a joke, right??
Some one in college that does not know how to use a search function on the internet....unthinkable. Get off your *ss and look up information for yourself.

Wyoming
09-11-08, 04:31 PM
This is a joke, right??
Some one in college that does not know how to use a search function on the internet....unthinkable. Get off your *ss and look up information for yourself.

You beat me to it.

USMC3381
09-11-08, 07:20 PM
They also have the MECEP program. I think thats how you spell it but anyway its where the Marine Corps pays for you four years of college you do your four years of college and when you graduate you owe the Marine Corps four years then you can do OCS or whatever you want.Your best bet is to go talk to a recruiter.

Bird Fisher
09-12-08, 03:41 PM
Thank you all for your help.

My rationale for asking this question is that I have searched the internet, and was met with mixed results; also I wanted to recieve input from members of the Corps. I am mearly using all the recsources available to me.

I'll visit a recuiter to get the fine details, as is the most common piece of advice.

Again, your help is most appreciated.

SGT7477
09-12-08, 08:33 PM
Let the games begin,lol.

UsmcMotorT
09-13-08, 07:45 AM
PLC is a good option; research that.

RECEP is another option too; the reserve version of the MECEP.

I joined the Reserves in 2002 and enrolled in college. I just got my Bachelors June of this year due to all these deployments and mobilizations I had since I enlisted.

If you want to finish school first (in a 4 year time frame) then you may want to do that. The Reserves (in all branches) is more operational than it was before 9/11; thus, the chances of being deployed/mobilized is higher.

You may want to ask the recruiter (or research on your own) if enrolling in the PLC program will waive you from being deployed.