PDA

View Full Version : Westwood Marine part of team that rescued American POW Jessica Lynch

thedrifter
05-21-03, 05:19 PM
A real-life hero: Westwood Marine part of team that rescued American POW Jessica Lynch

By Parna Sarkar-Basu / News Staff Writer
Wednesday, May 21, 2003

WESTWOOD -- When Lance Cpl. Nicolaus Goebeler and his platoon assisted with the rescue of POW Jessica Lynch, he did not realize it would be "such a big deal" back home, said his mother Cynthia Haynes Caswell.

In fact, Nic was surprised when he learned the rescue of the U.S. Army private first class made headlines around the world, said Cynthia, who spoke with her son on Mother's Day. This was her first live conversation with Nic since he shipped out to Kuwait in January and then to Iraq.

Nic, 21, a graduate of Westwood High, joined the Marines just before graduation in 2000. A member of Kilo Company, 3rd Battalion 2nd Marines, Nic and his unit shipped out overseas in January 2003 as war loomed to oust Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein.

"We saw him off at Camp Lejeune in January when he boarded USS Kearsage, the Navy ship," said Cynthia. "Even he did not know where they were going."

It was through a family friend and lieutenant colonel from Nic's unit, that she learned her son was on his way to Kuwait.

"When the bombing started, within 48 hours Nic and his battalion entered Iraq," said Ben Caswell, Nic's stepfather. "Once in Iraq, Nic's unit traveled with Task Force Tarawa."

"He was directly involved in the door-to-door combat in Nasiriyah," added Ben. "Even though (U.S. commandos) rescued Lynch, Nic's battalion was very involved in rescuing the former POW."

Knowing Nic was in combat was hard for the family, said Cynthia. "I felt proud and anxious for him as there was significant combat action going on (in Iraq)," said Ben.

"I was proud of him because he was doing something to better our world," said sister Jennifer Digangi. "I was scared but supportive of him."

"I was not only concerned for him physically, but for his mental and emotional state," said Cynthia. "We brought him up in an nonviolent (environment) and didn't do anything to prepare him for war.

"But I am sure the Marines did. I prayed all the time and relied on my faith to bring me closer to Nic and to sustain me."

"I knew he would not be in the background because he would fight more readily for others than himself," she added. "He is a loner but fights for the underdog."

Since Nic left for Kuwait, they had received occasional letters by mail. However, a sergeant at Camp Lejeune kept Cynthia informed of Nic's well-being by saying he was not on the "killed or injured list," said Ben.

Nic, second oldest in a family of seven siblings and a stepsister, surprised his family by joining the Marines.

"I was upset when I learned he had signed up for the Marines," said Cynthia. "I wanted to have some input in his decision-making process.

"But we have certainly supported him 100 percent.

According to Cynthia, Nic is very close to his siblings and they are all very protective of each other. "Nic is an important part of the family."

Nic is not just close to his family, but forms lasting friendships.

"When Nic's family moved to the Cape in 1999, he moved into our house and became a third son in our house," said Mark Griffin, who attended Westwood High with Nic. "He is one of my best friend's and turned into a family. We fought like real brothers would."

As a junior in high school, Nic decided to play football and became a captain in his senior year. He also played soccer and baseball, said Griffin.

Once Nic completes his Marine contract, Griffin said they plan to take over Nic's father's landscaping business in Connecticut.

Currently Nic is back on USS Kearsage and the family expects to see him next month.

Reporter Parna Sarkar-Basu can be reached at psarkar@cnc.com or 781-433-8355

© Copyright by the Herald Interactive Advertising Systems, Inc.

Sempers

Roger