PDA

View Full Version : Veterans Board 'Honor Flight' To War Memorial

thedrifter
09-11-08, 08:26 AM
Veterans Board 'Honor Flight' To War Memorial

Posted: Sep 10, 2008 06:41 PM

Up before the sun, these World War II veterans don't mind at all. It's a trip they've waited 63-years to take.

"I served for three years," Veteran Clarence Carney said. "One-and-a-half years were in the Pacific. "

Not even an early flight could keep these 101 veterans from seeing the memorial to their service and sacrifice.

In Washington, D.C., a heroes welcome, from folks who owe their freedom to these soldiers, seamen, airmen and marines.

"Almost every war that we've had in our country wound up honoring those men," Carney said. "And, it just seemed like we kind of got to World War Two and we skipped. So, I think its important we back up and pay tribute to the men of the second World War."

400,000 U.S. soldiers lost their lives fighting in World War II. So, rain seemed almost fitting, the sky shedding tears over the memorial honoring their sacrifice.

Bud Vander Laan's older brother, Herman was killed in 1944, while serving in Germany.

"I think its a great tribute to the men that were killed serving their country during World War Two," Veteran Bud Vander Laan said.

And, each star on this wall signifies 100 lives lost. There are 4,000 of them.

The lives lost as the U.S. took the island of Iwo Jima are immortalized in bronze... the next stop for these veterans. But, the final resting place for so many of America's war dead is here... among the marble headstones of Arlington National Cemetery.

It's home to the "tomb of the unknowns", and the hypnotic "changing of the guard.

The sound echoed to two of the most haunting memorials in Washington: Korea, with its 19 sculpted soldiers, frozen in time; and Vietnam, where at least one Siouxland veteran found the name of a fallen soldier, his son, who died in 1974.

A burden lifted, but not without help. More than 50 "guardians" paid their own way on this trip to lend a hand, to listen, and to learn.

"Listening to their stories, and being part of this trip, has really given me some insight into what happened in those days," Gaurdian Emile Fernando said. "I learned about the condision they were in. And, I learned about the countries they visited."

Passing the torch to a new generation, a gift from "the greatest generation."

Ellie