View Full Version : 9/11 We Remember

thedrifter
09-11-08, 07:20 AM
9/11 WE REMEMBER

http://hostdrjack.com/customcomments/samples/125271.gif

Ellie

SupChf
09-11-08, 07:24 AM
Amen to that Drifter. We were just talking about this at work today. I only heard a brief snippit on CNN about the different memorial services taking place today. Nothing else on the radio, other t.v. stations or anything. It seems that America is beginning to forget what we all have promise not to!!

Wyoming
09-11-08, 08:09 AM

Amen

1Marine4Life
09-11-08, 08:13 AM
We should never forget something so important. The days following 9/11 were trying times in this country. 9/11 itself was a disasterous day for us. We should remember so that we don't allow it to happen again.

ecfree
09-11-08, 08:44 AM
Amen to that Drifter. We were just talking about this at work today. I only heard a brief snippit on CNN about the different memorial services taking place today. Nothing else on the radio, other t.v. stations or anything. It seems that America is beginning to forget what we all have promise not to!!

Memorials going on this very moment at "Ground Zero" N.Y.,The Pentagon,and in Pennsylvania.also TV & radio went silent the minute the first plane hit the Twins.
WE WILL NEVER FORGET....

thedrifter
09-11-08, 08:46 AM
Also here in Jacksonville, NC....;)

Ellie

ScottsMom
09-11-08, 09:28 AM
My step-father (a Marine in the 70s) worked in the Pentagon on 911. He was awarded the Medal of Valor for his help in rescuing people from the Pentagon. He and everyone who was affected will be in my thoughts today as this is a very, very hard day for him. I'm very proud that he is part of my family.

ggyoung
09-11-08, 10:13 AM
God Bless

yellowwing
09-11-08, 11:51 AM
"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
and to the republic for which it stands, one Nation under God,
indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

http://www.ywg-web.com/images/groundzero.jpg

Moules
09-11-08, 12:12 PM
Thank you to all those who have sacrificed and even gave the ultimate sacrifice for this country and who have pledged to serve and defend this great nation we live in...:iwo: Without the ones who went before me and paved the way I wouldnt have this great nation or my wonderful Corps to serve in...:flag:......Thank you

mrbsox
09-11-08, 12:23 PM
This was OUR generations 'PEARL HARBOR'.

And what has 'this' generation done with it (as a whole) ?? The apathy makes my blood boil.

1st; it was SEPTEMBER ELEVENTH.... not 9-11.
We don't refer to Pearl Harbor as 12-7.
As Marines, we don't refer to Beirut as 10-23.

I WILL NOT fall into the generic hyphenated call of 'nine-eleven'. It's as if the people of this land have passed it off as just something else to be in the history books, in school. The brevity of it, because it's easier to say, or so distant form their minds.

I REMEMBER SEPTEMBER ELEVENTH !! :flag:

2nd; How many flags were sold in the weeks and months after September Eleventh ?? And where are they today ?? Destined to the gloom of a hall closet until some 'special' day brings her back to the light ?? I'm ashamed of the way my country, in general, chooses to brush it off as just another day.

One of the girls in the office, this morning, asked why I was wearing my (Uncle Sam) hat. "PATRIOTS DAY, SEPTEMBER ELEVENTH, SHOWING THE RED WHITE AND BLUE."

'What's Patriots day ??? I never heard of it' :sick:
I kept my steam contained, and reminded her that it is the 7th anniversary of September Eleventh.
'OH...... I never knew it was called Patriots Day.' :devious:

Bruce59
09-11-08, 01:05 PM
It's hard for me to watch the attack on TV today. when the frist plane hit I new it was an attack.

thedrifter
09-11-08, 01:30 PM
WTC tribute ~ with Enya music

http://www.pentagonattack911.com/wtc.htm

Anyone ever wonder what the lyrics are to Enya's "Only Time"
that is played in the background of some 9/11 memorials online,
such as in this excellent tribute(above) :

Who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows, only time
And who can say if your love grows
As your heart chose, only time

Who can say why your heart sighs
As your love flies, only time
And who can say why your heart cries
When your love lies, only time

Who can say when the roads meet
That love might be in your heart
And who can say when the day sleeps
If the night keeps all your heart
Night keeps all your heart

Who can say if your love grows
As your heart chose
- Only time
And who can say where the road goes
Where the day flows, only time

Who knows? Only time

Ellie

Phantom Winger
09-11-08, 02:18 PM
It's my job to have something to say.

They pay me to provide words that help make sense of that which troubles the American soul. But in this moment of airless shock when hot tears sting disbelieving eyes, the only thing I can find to say, the only words that seem to fit, must be addressed to the unknown author of this suffering.

You monster! You beast! You unspeakable bastard!

What lesson did you hope to teach us by your coward's attack on our World Trade Center, our Pentagon, us? What was it you hoped we would learn? Whatever it was, please know that you failed.

Did you want us to respect your cause? You just damned your cause.

Did you want to make us fear? You just steeled our resolve.

Did you want to tear us apart? You just brought us together.

Let me tell you about my people. We are a vast and quarrelsome family, a family rent by racial, social, political and class division, but a family nonetheless. We're frivolous, yes, capable of expending tremendous emotional energy on pop cultural minutiae -- a singer's revealing dress, a ball team's misfortune, a cartoon mouse. We're wealthy, too, spoiled by the ready availability of trinkets and material goods, and maybe because of that, we walk through life with a certain sense of blithe entitlement.
We are fundamentally decent, though -- peace-loving and compassionate. We struggle to know the right thing and to do it. And we are, the overwhelming majority of us, people of faith, believers in a just and loving God.

Some people -- you, perhaps -- think that any or all of this makes us weak. You're mistaken. We are not weak. Indeed, we are strong in ways that cannot be measured by arsenals.

IN PAIN
Yes, we're in pain now. We are in mourning and we are in shock. We're still grappling with the unreality of the awful thing you did, still working to make ourselves understand that this isn't a special effect from some Hollywood blockbuster, isn't the plot development from a Tom Clancy novel. Both in terms of the awful scope of their ambition and the probable final death toll, your attacks are likely to go down as the worst acts of terrorism in the history of the United States and, probably, the history of the world. You've bloodied us as we have never been bloodied before.

But there's a gulf of difference between making us bloody and making us fall. This is the lesson Japan was taught to its bitter sorrow the last time anyone hit us this hard, the last time anyone brought us such abrupt and monumental pain. When roused, we are righteous in our outrage, terrible in our force. When provoked by this level of barbarism, we will bear any suffering, pay any cost, go to any length, in the pursuit of justice.

I tell you this without fear of contradiction. I know my people, as you, I think, do not. What I know reassures me. It also causes me to tremble with dread of the future.

In the days to come, there will be recrimination and accusation, fingers pointing to determine whose failure allowed this to happen and what can be done to prevent it from happening again. There will be heightened security, misguided talk of revoking basic freedoms. We'll go forward from this moment sobered, chastened, sad. But determined, too. Unimaginably determined.

THE STEEL IN US
You see, the steel in us is not always readily apparent. That aspect of our character is seldom understood by people who don't know us well. On this day, the family's bickering is put on hold.

As Americans we will weep, as Americans we will mourn, and as Americans, we will rise in defense of all that we cherish.

So I ask again: What was it you hoped to teach us? It occurs to me that maybe you just wanted us to know the depths of your hatred. If that's the case, consider the message received. And take this message in exchange: You don't know my people. You don't know what we're capable of. You don't know what you just started.

But you're about to learn.

by columnist Leonard Pitts, Jr., for The Miami Herald, Published Wednesday, September 12, 2001

MrsCodyMC
09-11-08, 02:32 PM
This is from the I MEF Commanding General, Forward. My husband sent it to me this morning from Iraq, and I thought some of you might like to read it...

DOWORK1
09-11-08, 02:39 PM
Thank you for sharing this with us. Tell your husband all the Marines here are hoping for his safe return.

MrsCodyMC
09-11-08, 02:46 PM
I will be sure to let him know DOWORK1, Thank you :)

THAT AINT IT
09-11-08, 02:47 PM
I was 11 years old on September 11th 2001. I was in choir when the first plane hit. We were all laughing and joking around until the teacher looked at up at the TV and screamed at us to sit down and shut up. We all sat there the rest of the time just watching it. I couldn't believe that something so terrible was happening in my country. I will never forget that day and how I felt. It had a pretty big impact on my life.

rb1651
09-11-08, 02:51 PM
This was OUR generations 'PEARL HARBOR'.

And what has 'this' generation done with it (as a whole) ?? The apathy makes my blood boil.

1st; it was SEPTEMBER ELEVENTH.... not 9-11.
We don't refer to Pearl Harbor as 12-7.
As Marines, we don't refer to Beirut as 10-23.

I WILL NOT fall into the generic hyphenated call of 'nine-eleven'. It's as if the people of this land have passed it off as just something else to be in the history books, in school. The brevity of it, because it's easier to say, or so distant form their minds.

I REMEMBER SEPTEMBER ELEVENTH !! :flag:

2nd; How many flags were sold in the weeks and months after September Eleventh ?? And where are they today ?? Destined to the gloom of a hall closet until some 'special' day brings her back to the light ?? I'm ashamed of the way my country, in general, chooses to brush it off as just another day.

One of the girls in the office, this morning, asked why I was wearing my (Uncle Sam) hat. "PATRIOTS DAY, SEPTEMBER ELEVENTH, SHOWING THE RED WHITE AND BLUE."

'What's Patriots day ??? I never heard of it' :sick:
I kept my steam contained, and reminded her that it is the 7th anniversary of September Eleventh.
'OH...... I never knew it was called Patriots Day.' :devious:

Amen.

Today I put a picture over my badge at work that depicts an Angel resting her head on a member of the NYFD with the words "A Day We Will Never Forget", and this lady (I use the term lightly) told me I had to remove it because it covered my picture and name. I politely told her that if she would like to remove it, she was more than willing to try to take it off of me. Luckily, the HR director was around the corner, and politely told her to let it be. He waited until she left, and knowing that I am a Marine veteran, asked me if I would have done anything to her had she attempted to remove it. I just told him I was looking for work before I started here, and let it go at that.

DOWORK1
09-11-08, 03:00 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/0pVJ4jgFpPg&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/0pVJ4jgFpPg&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DOWORK1
09-11-08, 03:06 PM
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dm-9MbC3IdU&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Dm-9MbC3IdU&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

marinemom
09-11-08, 03:15 PM
Right with you, Terry - this generation's Pearl Harbor is in danger of being forgotten it does not fit in with the "I want it and I want it now" generation.

Like Bruce59, as soon as the first radio report came over, I knew it was not an "accident" - that we were under attack, I am from Brooklyn - I know the air lanes.

I went to too many funerals of guys that I grew up with, or brothers and husbands of girls I went to school with who served the City of New York as police offficers or firemen. Most of these guys did their time in the Corps as well. It is an area of pain for me, as well as for their families. They were going UP while others were trying to get and getting down.

Bin Laden has not stopped plotting - won't until he croaks. And others will just take up where he left off. Unfortunately, he also has a lot of access to Western converts - they will be twice as hard to detect.

Wake up people - it is not over, regardless of the fact that we have not had an attack on American soil..............so far.

So, to all of you who are serving like my son, and to those who have served, I say a great and heartfelt thank you for caring enough about this country and its people to stand on that wall 365/24/7. Your efforts and commitment can never be repaid, but are certainly appreciated.

Accord
09-11-08, 03:47 PM
I spent 9/11 2008 in Afghanistan.

errr

Wyoming
09-11-08, 04:10 PM
Excellent letter.

You flying your flag?

Mine is up most every day, iffen the wind isn't to strong.

HurricaneRJ
09-11-08, 04:53 PM
At least you are fighting those who helped those who were responsible.

FistFu68
09-11-08, 06:02 PM
:evilgrin: DARN RIGHT I REMEMBER,AND SO WILL MY CHILDRENS,CHILDRENS,CHILDREN 4EVER!!! SEMPER~FI~THAT.:evilgrin::iwo:

AMarine
09-11-08, 06:22 PM
"Where were you when the world Stopped Turning, that September Day?" -Alan Jackson.

I remember. 4th Grade. Was not really sure what was going on. My teacher had come in the room saying a Local Convenience Store had just been robbed. She also told us that there was a wild dog on the loose on our playground. So we were forced to stay inside all day. Then finally, she told us that The World Trade Centers in New York and the Pentagon had just been attacked by terrorists. Now, I wasn't so sure what terrorists, or the World Trade centers were, but I knew what the Pentagon was. And I knew something was wrong. I arrived home that day and saw my mother on the couch watching the news. I looked at the TV and asked my mom, "those are the world trade center towers?" I was in shock. And the 1st thing I could say after she had replied was how much family did we have in there? And she didn't know. So I am not sure if I ever did lose family that day in American History.

God Bless the New York Firefighters, Policemen, and Paramedics, the Armed Forces, and the families that have lost someone on that tragic day.

Today I wish I was in uniform, to salute that flag that was raised to half- staff. For those men and women lost in the World Trade Centers on September 11, 2001 will never be forgotten.
I wish I could Enlist now. And find the one that caused so much grief to the Family and Friends of the ones lost that day.
God Bless America.

-AFM :evilgrin:

TJR1070
09-11-08, 08:01 PM
As a New Yorker and a fireman that responded to the WTC in the days following the attacks. I remember the funerals, the kids left behind and my friends doing their jobs like the heroes they were everyday. I will always miss them and I will always remember them.

madsox
09-11-08, 10:00 PM
driving to work this morning, listening to the CSPAN radio broadcast of the Pentagon ceremony… very moving in the old Naval tradition…

Read the name, slow and clear. Rank and branch for military. Single toll of a ship’s bell. Pause. Repeat. When they got to a “Mrs. (something, I forget the name)” “and her husband, Captain (name), US Navy” , “and their children, Jenny (name)” “and Zoe (name)” , well…

that one brought tears to my eyes.

Caught a few minutes here and there of the NYC tributes, too, which reminded me that heroes and their uniforms aren't always scarlet and gold, or cammies.

Never forget, never forgive. Semper Fi.

recon532002
09-12-08, 02:45 AM
My old Glory is up here in Canada I will always Remember 911. I will Remember the 3,000 Plus U.S. military personel who gave of themselves. And I will Remember The 99 Plus Canadian Forces who gave their Lives for Peace.

vmfn513
09-15-08, 01:36 PM
I have flown the colors every day that I am capable( Nat'l and Marine) since the first House that I purchased in 1960. The first task after moving in is erect the flag pole next is make colors. I still do, altho I have to sit in my walker to raise and lower the colors. They will always fly at our house.
SEMPER FI!!