PDA

View Full Version : Give Me Your Opinion Please

1Marine4Life
09-11-08, 06:59 AM
I want to here some opinions. I lost my left index finger in 02' in a work related accident involving a rogue tablesaw blade that worked itself loose from the table. The doctor that performed the surgery recently (3 weeks ago) re-evaluated the injury and reassured myself and my OSO that I am perfectly capable of performing any type of activity that OCC could possibly throw at me (besides point obviously). MEPS said that I'm good to go and recommended a waiver be approved but BUMED has the final say. I'm right handed so I can still shoot a 16 and I haven't lost anything except a finger. Plus it motivates me to show that I can do it. My OSO sent videos of me doing rope climbs, pull ups, one handed dead hangs, carrying ammo cans full of wet sand and other stuff to BUMED. What do you Marines think? Would you approve a waiver if it were up to you? Be honest. I'm a big boy so I can take it.

:usmc:

silverdollar
09-11-08, 08:37 AM
I would say that you are good to go.

MyCorps
09-11-08, 08:40 AM
Good to go in my book.

jrhd97
09-11-08, 09:26 AM
Yep, Good to go.

yellowwing
09-11-08, 10:08 AM
I'm leaning towards yes. But if you buy me a steak and beer, you can explain it fully! :D

thewookie
09-11-08, 10:14 AM
I want to here some opinions. I lost my left index finger in 02' in a work related accident involving a rogue tablesaw blade that worked itself loose from the table. The doctor that performed the surgery recently (3 weeks ago) re-evaluated the injury and reassured myself and my OSO that I am perfectly capable of performing any type of activity that OCC could possibly throw at me (besides point obviously). MEPS said that I'm good to go and recommended a waiver be approved but BUMED has the final say. I'm right handed so I can still shoot a 16 and I haven't lost anything except a finger. Plus it motivates me to show that I can do it. My OSO sent videos of me doing rope climbs, pull ups, one handed dead hangs, carrying ammo cans full of wet sand and other stuff to BUMED. What do you Marines think? Would you approve a waiver if it were up to you? Be honest. I'm a big boy so I can take it.

:usmc:

The Battalion Commander in Hawaii while I was with 1/3 was a man named Colonel JA Cobb. Colonel Cobb is harder then nails: I friggin dreaded his Friday Battalion runs. Any way, he was snooping and pooping with Force in Vietnam one day when his team came under enemy fire and had to call for a hot extract. It was too hot for the birds to land, so they dropped a rope out and told Cobb and his men that they were going to extract them by SPIE rigging. Well, long story short, the birds were flying low to avoid incoming. Colonel Cobb happened to be the last man on the stick and when the bird went too low -- and he ended up going into a tree. As a result, he lost 3 fingers on his right hand -- still had his thumb and booger picker. (I remember the first time I saluted him and he returned it I definitely looked twice, but never said anything) I think he was a young LT at the time.

It didn't slow him down. At one point he held the Guinness World book of records for consecutive sit-ups at like 40,000 or so.

I think you can get a waiver for one finga....sorry about that though.

crate78
09-11-08, 10:31 AM
By pure coincidence, I lost my left index finger to the second joint in a childhood accident before I ever joined the Corps. I'm right handed. It was noted in my medical record and nothing else was ever said about it.

It did, however, keep me out of flight school. And given the complexities of airplane cockpits it's understandable that they would want pilots to have all of their fingers. Ironically, working in avionics, sometimes when it came to working in close quarters like behind the instrument panel on a fighter plane, it was easier to do things with my left hand than with my right.

Anyway, from personal experience, I'd say you're good to go.

crate

1Marine4Life
09-11-08, 10:38 AM
I'm leaning towards yes. But if you buy me a steak and beer, you can explain it fully! :D
LOL, no problem! :cool:

1Marine4Life
09-11-08, 10:40 AM
I hope BUMED thinks the same. I personally know that it doesn't affect me at all. Honestly, I wouldnt waste the Marine Corps time or my time if I knew that it bothered me in any way.

1Marine4Life
10-10-08, 04:45 PM
Well, I got the news from the OSO's office today. Looks like Bumed granted me the waiver for my hand so I'm pleased. Now I just have to retake the ASVAB test for a higher score(I took it in high school in 96) and get the highest PT score I can get and my chances should be great according to the OSO. I'm almost there.

:flag:

jgorosco
10-10-08, 04:49 PM
You might also think about shooting a few holes in that rogue tablesaw! And congrats on your waiver

SlingerDun
10-10-08, 06:33 PM
You know when ever i see a working cowboy or farrier or logger or machinist missing a digit, my first thought is: damn i'll bet that stung!

Not: hhhmmm i wonder if he's competent? hehe Good Luck

--->Dave

jrhd97
10-10-08, 07:16 PM
Thats good news. Go get some!

rb1651
10-11-08, 10:06 AM
Glad to hear you got the waiver. One finger ain't nothin (and I don't mean that disrespectfully). Two years ago on Nov. 10, I lost all four fingers on my left hand at the middle knuckle and part of my thumb to the same piece of equipment that you had issues with.. Being left handed, this did present some challenges. I have since learned to write with my right hand, I'm still a fully qualified electrician, and I'm still doing custom wood working in my off time. Adapt and improvise. That is what the Corps has done for all us.

Go get some Marine!!!

ke0331
10-11-08, 04:53 PM
1 MARINE 4LIFE,

You don't need all your fingers any damn way. If you ever find your self behind a crew served all you need is your thumbs! I about got my right hand blown off, now I dont have much feeling in it. It still works pretty good though. It's a pretty good time at parties when I put a lighter to it, the smell drives my wife nuts.(not in a good way!!).What's your MOS going to be, if you posted it I didn't see it. Good luck and stay motivated.