PDA

View Full Version : Post-Boot&MOS

srinaldo86
09-10-08, 09:23 AM
Good day Marines!
I know I am jumping the gun with this question however when speaking to my recruiter today he suggested that after MCRDPI that I do Recruiters Assistance with him. He also suggested that I try for HMX-1 once I am done with (5800)MOS training.
I understand the general concept of both jobs but would appreciate an insiders perspective as to whether either job is worth doing and what it would be like.
Thank you very much Marines,
Poolee Rinaldo.

FutureBootLouie
09-10-08, 10:08 AM
recruiter's assistance is a joke

its like paid leave

you put on your uniform and you go to malls and schools with your recruiter and talk to young men about how wonderful the Marine Corps is, and if you get some peoplke to sign up it gets you promoted faster.

Wyoming
09-10-08, 10:13 AM
It has been said before, and I know nothing about RA, but HMX-1 is a high level job. Marines returning from the RVN, that went to HMX-1, have many varied stories.

But, here's my take, you are 22 and were you to do the RA, then MOS school, then HMX-1, along with picking up rank along the way, you will remain a boot.

Yep, maybe you will be an E-4, but quite possible you will hit the fleet and deploy.

Will you have the experience or simply the rank?

Just my opinion.

srinaldo86
09-10-08, 10:14 AM
That is my main reason for considering it is the promotion, being home is just a perk. It's tempting but I'm sure by that time I'd be more excited about the fleet. However I do hanging out with my recruiters as it is, I'm sure it would be even better as a Marine.

Anyways, thank you for your response Cpl.

srinaldo86
09-10-08, 10:28 AM
I agree with you Cpl. Holmes. The benefit to it would be traveling in my youth, and being at a permanent duty station later. But I see what you're saying about experience, once I hit my permanent duty station my rank wont show for my experience in my MOS.
Is that what you're saying for the most part?
Thank you for your response Cpl.

BR34
09-10-08, 01:19 PM
However I do hanging out with my recruiters as it is, I'm sure it would be even better as a Marine.

Actually, you'll probably find your recruiters to be quite different after/if you become a Marine. Right now they are supposed to be all friendly and laxed with you, that won't be the case when you're a Pvt. in an office full of NCOs and SNCOs.

SupChf
09-10-08, 01:23 PM
Do RA if you like, but hit the Fleet and deploy. I would much rather have a LCpl that has deployed working for me than an NCO that hasn't deployed and simply got promoted because he's great at doing MCI's and getting referrals.

srinaldo86
09-10-08, 02:03 PM
Hmm... Its a tough decision that I can worry about once I've gotten that far I suppose.
Thank you for all your responses, Marines.

On a side note GySgt. Voss, do you know any of the local recruiters here?
SSgt. Orlando Garcia, SSgt. Corey Christensen (my recruiter), SSgt. Shoulders, GySgt. Newton?

Isrowei
09-11-08, 08:41 PM
Recruiter's assistance is at max 30 days of Permissive TAD before you go to MCT. It won't make you.. and it won't hurt you. It could help you cut about 6 months off the time it take you to get promoted past LCpl. It will still take you over a year or more to reach that point. If you haven't learned about the Marine Corps in the time you've been in by that point... you won't get promoted. Period.

Apply yourself in RA, get promoted. Apply yourself in MCT, MOS School, and you duty station, and you'll be ready for whatever the Corps needs you to do.. and when they need you to do it.

NEVER turn down an opportunity simply because you don't think you'd be good at it or some misplaced sense of propriety. It's there for a reason. Take it and apply yourself. Be the best at what opportunities you're given... and experience will never be a problem for you.

srinaldo86
09-12-08, 08:04 AM
Thank you 1st Lt., Good advice.

Fubar5812
09-14-08, 03:23 PM
funny thing,5 of our guys just got slected for HMX-1 this past weekend.

they came and briefed us after our law and order excerises and proceeded too weed us out,those that had legal problems,credit,citizienship or plain did not want too do it (i wanted K-9 so i excused myself from the room)

HMX is VERY VERY difficult too obtain,everything is checked,i mean EVERYTHING you need yankee white security clearance,your neighbors,family and friends will be interviewed and you WILL be conducting a few polygraph tests (lie detector) out of the 131 that applied here,only 12 got selected out of the 2 mp classes.

once in HMX,MP's mostly do physical security for the helicopter or other assets,wherever the chopper goes,you go if your on that particular detail.you'll stand posts 12 hours on 12 off,2 days on 2 days off (thats what they told us is currently in effect anyway) this is where yankee white comes in,being allowed to carry a firearm around the president.i'm told your first year is actually quite boring,and even when your on the detail its alot of just standing around on post.but that clearance will DEFINTELY get you any job you want as far as goverment work.

Wyoming
09-14-08, 10:17 PM
That is my main reason for considering it is the promotion, being home is just a perk. It's tempting but I'm sure by that time I'd be more excited about the fleet. However I do hanging out with my recruiters as it is, I'm sure it would be even better as a Marine.

Anyways, thank you for your response Cpl.

Been thinking about this hanging out bit.

Methinks the NCO & SNCO's are doing their jobs quite nicely.

BUT, I don't really believe they are gonna 'hang out' with a fresh boot Pvt.

Just my opinion.

outlaw3179
09-14-08, 11:20 PM
Recruiters Assistance sucks and its cool. I got 2 weeks of it after I graduated in 97, and again later on after I got to the fleet and It sucked. I was like their little slave. I had to be in at 7 am and then home around 7 or so. Slavery. It was cool to be home though. I got to go to schools in my blues, got to walk around like I was badass but all in all , it kind of sucked. I got a NUC out of it and got some ass out of it. Thats all I can tell you .

Achped
09-15-08, 12:49 AM
Yeah, my friend rates a NUC for RA, that little bastard.

I've never done RA, so I can't help you too much, but what Sgt Outlaw said seems true. After boot its not bad.

Once you're a fleet LCpl and you do RA you will be working 0800-2000 and have to run PT for the poolees.