PDA

View Full Version : Enlisting in the colonys

Aegr
09-09-08, 10:03 PM
My first post here, never heard of this forum before until somebody on another board pointed me here to ask questions.

I'm a Brit who finds the USMC intriguing and who is disgusted by the current norm of treating our servicemen and would love to move to the states once i've finished my degree at university.

I'm considering joining my own armed forces but also understand that it's easier to get American citizenship by joining in the American armed forces (might aswell join the best one of the ones to choose from ;))

I'd just like to know how i'd be treated by fellow marines, i'd expect some teasing during training, but i think it'd be only tolerable if it was like an extra wall to climb to gain the acceptance of the other guys. If i was to expect crap all the way through and long after training to the end of my service i think it would rule out this dream.

tl;dr
how are foreigners treat in the marines (particularly Brits)?

RYDERKUR
09-09-08, 10:20 PM
It was probably hard to enlist with Lord Cornwallis over here, but even harder under General Washington. Am I missing something here or was that a joke or an attempted slap in the face???? Fill out your profile.

Aegr
09-09-08, 10:21 PM
the thread title? was a joke

RYDERKUR
09-09-08, 10:25 PM
Very well, it was stupid, but whatever. Marines are Marines. We fight for each other and bleed the same color. But that being said, I and I'm sure many others would make fun of a Brit all in good humor. As long as you prove yourself as a good Marine, in the end, that's all that matters.

jrhd97
09-09-08, 10:42 PM
We had an Irish guy, from Northern Ireland in our unit. He was squared away and no one bothered him. He did his job, then some. I would trust McDermitt with my 6 any day.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-09-08, 11:09 PM
I knew a couple of people from outside the US. We made fun of them, but we made fun of everyone for something. Being a Brit wouldn't be any more of a problem than being from anywhere else. The Marine Corps is equal opportunity, everyone is a target.

The thread title was probably not the best idea you've ever had. Things like that would put an even bigger target on you. Trying to blend in as best as possible would be a good idea.

I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that the Royal Marines are highly respected on this side of the ocean. If I couldn't have a US Marine by my side, they'd be among the top for my second pick.

Aegr
09-09-08, 11:13 PM
ok, so the thread title is maybe a mistake, but if anything i think it'd be a more sensitive issue over here than it would be for you over there, and is just a light bit of humour.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-09-08, 11:18 PM
It isn't a huge deal. It just could be taken as insulting. I didn't take it that way, and most people probably won't either. But if you're trying to avoid being in the spotlight, that isn't the best tactic.

Honestly, I think you'd enjoy the experience. No better way to take in all America has to offer than to find yourself in a situation with people from every corner of our fine nation.

FutureBootLouie
09-10-08, 12:44 AM
I thought it was pretty humorous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUcaM_0ztbM

99.99% need not apply

BAMFs

rvillac2
09-10-08, 02:32 AM
You are right that gaining U.S. citizenship has been made easier by joining our military. However, before you can even join our service, you need to have a visa that authorizes you to work here or become a resident alien.

FutureBootLouie
09-10-08, 08:18 AM
You are right that gaining U.S. citizenship has been made easier by joining our military. However, before you can even join our service, you need to have a visa that authorizes you to work here or become a resident alien.

you can't join the military on a work visa. Only a Green Card.

Bob Ash
09-11-08, 08:06 AM
I didn't have a problem with the thread title.

Once you've graduated Boot Camp, and earned the title of Marine you are in the fraternity. Just about everybody gets messed-with for something. If you work hard and are squared away I can't see you having too big of a problem.

Edit to add: I had a Cambodian guy in our Platoon(in the FMF not Boot), mind you this was in the 70's...he was "one of the guys" and everybody loved him. Of course you can't be too thin-skinned...He was known as Corporal "Luke".

Aegr
09-13-08, 08:28 PM
thin skinned? you mean take things to heart?

Fubar5812
09-14-08, 03:14 PM
why not try for the royal Marines? U.S marines work very closely with them and in alot of ways,both the organizations are pretty similar.

CplKJSpevak
09-14-08, 05:39 PM
One of my good Marine Buddy's was from Ireland.....Cpl. Finbarr McCarthy, I knew him from boot until EAS.....He ran the Marine Corps marathon just before getting out.....Great Marine and everyone respected him....Could Drink like no one's business and run like the freakin' wind! You'll be fine. Good luck

Bob Ash
09-15-08, 09:34 AM
thin skinned? you mean take things to heart?

Yes, don't take it too personally, everybody messes with everybody. You'll be fine.