View Full Version : Marines feel the love at Operation Appreciation

thedrifter
05-21-03, 10:29 AM
Marines feel the love at Operation Appreciation

City, local groups fill day with fun, praise

By John Berhman
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

May 18, 2003

OCEANSIDE – Marine 1st Sgt. Bruce Cole sat quietly at a front table with his wife and two young daughters, listening politely to a long line of politicians.

A few tables away, Cpl. Mark Combs and his wife did the same.

The two Camp Pendleton Marines, both wounded in Iraq, and their families were what yesterday's Operation Appreciation was all about.

An estimated 7,000 Marines from Camp Pendleton and their family members were treated to a day of free food, entertainment and games for children – and a lot of praise.

"This is great," Cole said between receiving thanks from those in attendance. "I really feel honored. Oceanside is a great town and a wonderful place for your family."

Cole, 39, from Vidor, Texas, and a 20-year Marine Corps veteran, still wears the bandage where he was shot in the right arm while returning fire against Iraqi troops from his Humvee on March 27.

His wife, Charla, with daughters, Jordan, 6, and Bailey, 3, in tow, said she is appreciative of the support the city has shown during her husband's absence.

"I'm overwhelmed by it," she said. "Every day I was receiving an e-mail from someone here asking me if there was anything they could do for me. I can't believe the support we've received."

Combs, 22, from Dewey, Okla., with just over three years in the Marines, was still using crutches and wearing a support for his wounded right foot and knee, shredded by metal after he stepped on a land mine in Iraq on April 7.

"They tell me I should be back to 100 percent with time," Combs said. As for his being a special guest yesterday along with Cole, "This is really nice. I'm so touched by it, I really don't know what else to say."

His wife, Kelly, said: "We really appreciate the community support. It's nice to know the community cares and is doing all of this to thank our families."

The city of Oceanside, its Chamber of Commerce, the North County Times, IDEC Pharmaceuticals, the Armed Services YMCA and the Marine Corps Community Services sponsored the second annual event at the Oceanside Pier Amphitheater to honor active-duty military personnel and their families.

The politicians got more to do than just deliver praise and thank-you speeches to the military and their families. They later went to work on the food-service line, which stretched from the Beach Community Center out along The Strand.

Oceanside Councilman Rocky Chavez, a retired Marine colonel, was busy serving up potato salad. But between scoops, he said: "I was one of the people who started to organize this event, and it wasn't so much just about the military as it is their families. They are the ones who really sacrifice and give up so much."

Assemblywoman Patricia Bates, whose district includes Oceanside and Camp Pendleton, was on the line serving chicken and rice, one of the many dishes donated by various eateries.

"I'm honored to do this," Bates said. "It's my way of showing my thanks and appreciation for our military and their families. The people of Oceanside and their Chamber of Commerce deserve a lot of credit, too. There was months of planning that went into this day."

Event chairman Jan Gardner said she and the many other volunteers involved were happy to do it. "This is our way of serving those who serve and protect us, and their families," she said.

Gardner also thanked the many businesses that donated food and games, the entertainers – and the Marine and Navy personnel, who brought along much of their equipment and weaponry for display, including an air-cushioned landing craft, used to transport Marines and equipment.

The daylong Operation Appreciation is becoming an annual event, Gardner said.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
John Berhman: (760) 737-7577; john.berhman@uniontrib.com

Sempers,

Roger