PDA

View Full Version : A couple of questions

Ghostedition
09-09-08, 09:04 PM
I'm a British cit and have my green card and I'm currently staying in NC which was a strange place to end up lol.

I have been planning on joining a form of armed forces for the past 2-3 years and have decided on the USMC and have a fairly good idea of what I want to do carer wise I just need to speak to a recruiter etc

My main question rests with basic training really, what will I be expecting day to day, is it really how its portrayed, and whats the best method for getting mentally and physically prepared for basic?

I already have a routine for fitness and I'm in pretty good shape already (apart from spending all weekend on my ass at work or sat down at college) and yes I can swim.

It was suggested to me to buy my combat boots early on and to break them in running where do I find them, is it a specific design/model and how much am I looking at spending? (or was I being had on)

I know I really need to make time to talk to recruiter but I was pointed to this site from another board and thought I would ask a few questions. :nerd:

Thanks in advance.

sparkie
09-09-08, 09:12 PM
"what will I be expecting day to day, is it really how its portrayed,"
Everything is expected, And no,,,, it is worse. Kinda like selling your soul to the devil, to become an Angel.

rvillac2
09-09-08, 09:15 PM
Plenty of Discovery/Military/History channel videos on our boot camp. All of them are accurate, but you have to be there to really experience it.

Don't worry about running in boots. You won't be able to bring your own down there anyways.

Read the many posts in the Poollee Hall forum for more info.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-09-08, 11:16 PM
You can't prepare yourself for the mental aspect of recruit training. If you could, there wouldn't be much of a need to do it. Physically, you need to be in decent shape. As much as we stress physical condition here, and as important as some poolees find PT to be, in honesty you can complete boot camp without showing up in great shape. If you can pass a Marine Corps PFT you can make it through boot camp.

Running in combat boots is a poor idea. Yes, we do it from time to time (though not often in boot camp) but it isn't the foundation of our training. (At BUD/S the SEAL trainees do run in boots regularly, their boots are also intended for such an activity {Bated 924 last I checked})

For seeing how boot camp really is, check out one of the many documentary films available. None of them show the true picture because they aren't with recruits 24/7 filming. But you can see enough to have an idea what you're getting yourself into.

FutureBootLouie
09-10-08, 12:35 AM
I'm a British cit and have my green card and I'm currently staying in NC which was a strange place to end up lol.

I have been planning on joining a form of armed forces for the past 2-3 years and have decided on the USMC and have a fairly good idea of what I want to do carer wise I just need to speak to a recruiter etc

My main question rests with basic training really, what will I be expecting day to day, is it really how its portrayed, and whats the best method for getting mentally and physically prepared for basic?

I already have a routine for fitness and I'm in pretty good shape already (apart from spending all weekend on my ass at work or sat down at college) and yes I can swim.

It was suggested to me to buy my combat boots early on and to break them in running where do I find them, is it a specific design/model and how much am I looking at spending? (or was I being had on)

I know I really need to make time to talk to recruiter but I was pointed to this site from another board and thought I would ask a few questions. :nerd:

Thanks in advance.

you don't buy combat boots and break them in (unless you're going to OCS). If you're going to boot camp, you bring the clothes on your back and a few necessities and they issue you everything you need.

But you just wanna buy boots and practice running in them...go for it. Its your money. But if you're already in pretty good shape, boot camp PT will be easy for you. Just avoid getting ITed...thats where the pain resides.

Pete0331
09-10-08, 03:01 AM
There are many books on the subject that are more through on the subject.

Ghostedition
09-10-08, 02:03 PM
Appreciate the replies lads.

Mikewebe
09-10-08, 02:12 PM
You can also visit youtube and see boot camp first hand. Just concentrate on fitness and talk about yourself in the third person. Such as this recruit or the recruit. No I, me or any of that. learn the rank structure, it is different than the Brits. and good luck to you

AL49BGN
09-10-08, 02:15 PM
That is funny I made a freind from England when I lived in NC.He came over to race stock cars and raced over at Concord Motorsport Park in Cabbarus County,his name was Paul Rivvet.
As far as Bootcamp goes It has been a while since I went through it but it is definately more mental then physical.You also cannot bring your own boots so don't waste your money.All your property will be inventoried and stored for you there.They will then issue you everything that you need.Good Luck

Ghostedition
09-11-08, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the replies once again.

AL49BGN (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=51738) I actually met another English couple here in Gastonia lol.

AL49BGN
09-11-08, 01:00 PM
:thumbup:
Thanks for the replies once again.

AL49BGN (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=51738) I actually met another English couple here in Gastonia lol.