PDA

View Full Version : When speaking with your recruiters.

NeedSomePT
09-09-08, 08:45 PM
When speaking with your recruiters do you use Marine talk or "normal" talk. Examples would be deck instead of floor/ground, head instead of bathroom/restroom whichever you use, portholes instead of glasses, etc..

When speaking with them I don't actually think it through, so I end up saying words like floor and bathroom instead of head. Although seconds later I usually think to myself "damn, should I have said head instead of asking to use the bathroom?" Not that it would matter in the end, but if I would be to use a more Marine Corps way of speaking to the recruiters would they just think I'm a tryhard?

Psurichie
09-09-08, 08:48 PM
I just talk "normal". I don't think it matters either way to him.

benw2200
09-09-08, 08:50 PM
I'm not going to worry about talking the talk until I've walked the walk.

Achped
09-09-08, 09:24 PM
Recruiting school teaches recruiters how to be less "Marine"...Ive obviously never been and cant speak from experience, but it teaches them how to act on a one-on-one level with a nasty teenager.

You cant have some SSgt of Marines going up to some high school kid, HEY, 1500, BE AT MY HATCH, CHECK?

Just talk normal, they may make fun of you for being extra moto lol

FutureBootLouie
09-10-08, 12:28 AM
When speaking with your recruiters do you use Marine talk or "normal" talk. Examples would be deck instead of floor/ground, head instead of bathroom/restroom whichever you use, portholes instead of glasses, etc..

When speaking with them I don't actually think it through, so I end up saying words like floor and bathroom instead of head. Although seconds later I usually think to myself "damn, should I have said head instead of asking to use the bathroom?" Not that it would matter in the end, but if I would be to use a more Marine Corps way of speaking to the recruiters would they just think I'm a tryhard?

I still use normal words - bathroom, shoes, flashlight etc.

I can't stand terms like: moonbeam, moonboots, go fasters etc.

It sounds like you're from outerspace. Its stupid.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-10-08, 01:46 AM
I had to laugh when I went to TAP class. We all remember the time in boot camp when they explained that it wasn't a door, it was a hatch. It wasn't the floor, it was a deck. In class the instructor did the exact opposite. This isn't a hatch, it is a door. This isn't a bulkhead, it is the wall. This isn't a ladder, it is a stairwell.

Really, I never played the silly name game other than when I was forced to in boot camp. I always thought it was just people trying too hard.

bstewar09
09-10-08, 06:19 AM
As my recruiter explained it, he said recruiting is not the Marine Corps, it is the Marine Corporation, so he has to talk and act way different.

benw2200
09-10-08, 08:35 AM
I still use normal words - bathroom, shoes, flashlight etc.

I can't stand terms like: moonbeam, moonboots, go fasters etc.

It sounds like you're from outerspace. Its stupid.

I don't get where moonbeam, moonboots, etc comes from. Is that a recent invention? I can understand head, deck, and all that stuff because the Marines "borrow" terms and traditions from the Navy, but I agree.. moonboots and all that sounds a bit silly.

srinaldo86
09-10-08, 09:13 AM
My recruiter and I talk like we're drinking buddies... But I'm a bit different of a case than say the usual 17 & 18 year old kids fresh out of high school.

FutureBootLouie
09-10-08, 10:06 AM
I don't get where moonbeam, moonboots, etc comes from. Is that a recent invention? I can understand head, deck, and all that stuff because the Marines "borrow" terms and traditions from the Navy, but I agree.. moonboots and all that sounds a bit silly.

I don't know, but it sounds gay.

fjmas1976
09-10-08, 10:12 AM
Moonbeam and go-fasters was being used when I was in, but Moonboots is a new one to me. I still use "head" because I work with a bunch of Marines. Sometimes we'll throw around the ones like deck,hatch,bulkhead,go-fasters,etc when we're talking about the days in the Corps.:usmc:

AWDPirate
09-11-08, 12:02 AM
Just stay respectful and call him "Sir" or his rank. They could care less if you use bootcamp terms or not, it doesn't matter to them. Your not on a ship or on base so just show him respect and look him in the eye when you shake his hand.

Mikewebe
09-11-08, 12:24 AM
When in doubt speak English. Don't worry about Head and Deck and all that rubbish, it comes in time. I would suggest that you learn these terms before you ship. Heres a good one for ya, I'm 8 years older than my recruiter, and had I stayed in would seriousely outrank him and he knows it. But as it is I am coming back 2 ranks lower than him and I still give him as much greif as I can. Keep in mind he is a good man and tolerates me cause I want back in and on and on.... But just be yourself. You will do fine and as you get closer to shipping out study more. Just stay calm and enjoy its not that hard to do. Showing up on the Yellow footprints is half the battle.

Accord
09-11-08, 05:56 PM
I haven't used any "Marine terms" since coming to the fleet. I don't know what planet the rest of the Marine Corps is from, but in my unit a bathroom is called a bathrood, a door is called a door, a drinking fountain is called a drinking fountain, and a wall is called a wall.

YutYut
09-11-08, 06:49 PM
...a bathroom is called a bathrood...

If that's not a typo, that's the strangest **** I've ever heard.

Mikewebe
09-11-08, 08:18 PM
So have we gotten that soft that we no longer have our own terms as well ?

YutYut
09-11-08, 08:42 PM
Please tell me you're not referring to "bathrood"...

mark king
09-13-08, 10:01 AM
I haven't used any "Marine terms" since coming to the fleet. I don't know what planet the rest of the Marine Corps is from, but in my unit a bathroom is called a bathrood, a door is called a door, a drinking fountain is called a drinking fountain, and a wall is called a wall.

When i first got in the fleet we didnt use them either, even military time,only when the PLT. sgt. or an officer came around,if we said door or floor or 2 o clock in stead of 1400 (which they would try and get us all the time), we would being doing push ups all day long.

Accord
09-17-08, 09:47 AM
So have we gotten that soft that we no longer have our own terms as well ?

Soft? No.

It's just some units, mainly grunt units, put all that garrison BS to the wayside and focus on things that actually matter like training for combat and surviving. We don't use those naval terms in combat and therefore we won't use them in garrison. If there's an IED on the floor just to the left of a doorway of a building 3 meters from the wall, we're not going to call that up to higher and EOD and say "IED on the deck next to the hatch 3 meters from the bulkhead" because that's just stupid.

The 2nd MARDIV motto pretty much sums it up: "Let no 2ndMARDIV ghost say they died because their leaders failed to train them."

I'm going to yoke up one of my Marines for failing to do their checks when exiting a vehicle or failing to mark a cleared room properly, not because they refer to a wall as a bulkhead.

Achped
09-17-08, 11:09 AM
Ooorah John.

When do you get home?