PDA

View Full Version : I want to join the USMC but have OCD

g3shooter1
09-09-08, 03:09 PM
My shrink who is a former Army psych said I can obtain a waiver for this.

Is this true?

A recruiter over at ar15 said that I cannot.

This is a life goal for me.

fjmas1976
09-09-08, 03:25 PM
Fill out your profile.:evilgrin:

g3shooter1
09-09-08, 03:36 PM
Done.

Sorry, sir.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-09-08, 03:59 PM
You will have to get a waiver. Before that can be done you have to be off all meds for at least 12 months without any problems. At that point you can apply for the waiver. There is no telling whether or not it will be approved. You could be the first person to ever get one, or you could be the first to be turned down. All you can do is try.

fjmas1976
09-09-08, 04:00 PM
Good to go. I don't know what is waiverable and what isn't. There are many Active Duty Recruiters on here that may be able to answer your question better than I can. I knew a kid once that had pretty severe OCD. I mean bad.....he would freak out if he walked into a room and a picture wasn't straight,would refuse to go to the bathroom for days on end and ended up with impacted bowels. He got treatment,meds,etc. He was able to enlist in the National Guard with waivers, etc.

Remember to read and follow the rules for posting. As long as you follow the rules and post in a respectful and professional manner, the Marines here will do anything they can to help you out and give you advice. Good luck.:usmc:

g3shooter1
09-09-08, 06:59 PM
So are the psych standards different for the different branches, or are there a single set of DOD standards?

Marine84
09-09-08, 07:08 PM
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I'm sorry, this is going to be fun.

What kind of OCD do you have at the ripe old age of.....................?

g3shooter1
09-09-08, 07:13 PM
I am 19, and was diagnosed at age 8 or 9.

Mainly intrusive obsessive thougts and worries.

sparkie
09-09-08, 07:29 PM
Ever thought of seeing a preacher? My Bro's will laugh, but I know a bit about demonic influence. Folks usually laugh off what they fear, or don't understand.

g3shooter1
09-09-08, 07:51 PM
No, I am pretty sure it is OCD.

Marine84
09-09-08, 07:54 PM
Mainly intrusive obsessive thougts and worries.

What the hell about? And at 8 or 9?????????

rvillac2
09-09-08, 08:00 PM
Dear Chili....

g3shooter1
09-09-08, 08:06 PM
What the hell about? And at 8 or 9?????????Silly stuff... contamination, germs, etc.

Marine84
09-09-08, 08:18 PM
Dear Chili....

DUDE! LOL!

CplKJSpevak
09-09-08, 08:27 PM
Ever thought of seeing a preacher? My Bro's will laugh, but I know a bit about demonic influence. Folks usually laugh off what they fear, or don't understand.

What are you smokin' out there in the desert Sparkie?:yes:

Sonic13
09-09-08, 08:33 PM
if you have ocd about germs, bootcamp is gonna be a little bit tougher for you, hope ****ing in a urinal with 2 other guys doesn't spark your OCD, or actually sharing a very small bathroom with 50 other guys....

g3shooter1
09-09-08, 08:38 PM
No, I got over the germophobia for the most part, it is other obsessive worries. I don't want to go into exactly what...but it would not effect me in carrying out duties.

sparkie
09-09-08, 08:41 PM
What are you smokin' out there in the desert Sparkie?:yes:
You wanna pm me? There is so much humans don't know. My story will scare you outta 10 years. I knew this would come up. It's a VERY thin veil.:usmc:

Marine84
09-09-08, 10:14 PM
You wanna pm me? There is so much humans don't know. My story will scare you outta 10 years. I knew this would come up. It's a VERY thin veil.:usmc:

I'm coming to NV.

g3shooter1
09-09-08, 11:28 PM
So do the psych standards differ from branch to branch, or are they all DOD standards?

rvillac2
09-10-08, 02:40 AM
We can't give you a definitive answer on medical questions. All you'll hear is sea story and legend. MEPS medical will evaluate your case on its own merits and you'll get an answer. Don't worry about wasting anybody's time. It's their job.

g3shooter1
09-10-08, 01:29 PM
I am just wondering if it's doable.

AL49BGN
09-10-08, 01:38 PM
I am just wondering if it's doable.
It is worth taking a shot if you wish to serve.I believe it is based on the individual's case when it comes to something like this but a recruiter would be able to answer that better then I can.Like the other Marine told you there are a few on this site that can probably help.

g3shooter1
09-10-08, 01:57 PM
Thanks.

Serving in the Marine Corps, even as a reservist, has been my life goal.

I have a less severe case than most other folks with OCD...I am not the type that has to walk through a doorway 50 times.

Mikewebe
09-10-08, 02:17 PM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here but I am pretty sure OCD isn't going to keep anyone out of any branch of the service. ADD or ADHD maybe but OCD, come on, clean barracks squared away uniform etc....

g3shooter1
09-10-08, 03:04 PM
Actually I do have ADHD, but I already got a clear answer on that.

Off meds for 12 months+steady job and/or education, no problem.

Matt Brzycki
09-10-08, 05:34 PM
I saw a few replies to this thread that questioned being diagnosed with OCD at the age of 8 or 9. Lemme say first that my reply is not meant to disrespect any Marines for their opinions about this matter.

I know a boy who's 11 who displays many of the classic signs of OCD. The fact of the matter is that he showed many signs when he was much younger. Although it wasn't diagnosed at that time, the signs were quite clear. So, it's highly possible that someone could be diagnosed with OCD at age 8 or 9 (or even younger).

I think that as time goes on, more and more diagnoses of OCD (and other conditions) will be made and perhaps at an earlier age. As they say, we all have "issues" but having OCD can have an enormous impact on the quality of life. And not in a good way.

Again, no disrespect intended to anyone who made a previous response about age of diagnosis.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975-79)

CplKJSpevak
09-11-08, 02:21 PM
Fella's on a lighter note on the subject.....I would think a Marine with OCD would be the Most Squared away Marine out there....would ace every personel,weapons or wall locker inspection...

Matt Brzycki
09-11-08, 03:58 PM
Fella's on a lighter note on the subject.....I would think a Marine with OCD would be the Most Squared away Marine out there....would ace every personel,weapons or wall locker inspection...

Ya know, this is actually a very interesting point you're raising. I've got some OCD "issues" myself (though I didn't know it when I served). Can't say that I was the "most squared away Marine out there" but it actually helped in certain regards like JOBs, wearing the uniform and so on. Even now, in my closet at home - I almost typed "wall locker" - I have my shirts hanging from short sleeve to long sleeve and more or less by color with lighter ones before darker ones.

But OCD has many unwanted traits that no one would want or wish on anyone. Like repeating things verbally over and over again or repeatedly touching an object or person or walking into and out of a room over and over again. It's like being locked into a loop that's inescapable.

I think a lot of people have OCD. It's just a matter of to what degree. In many cases, it's fairly manageable; in others, it's not so.

Matt Brzycki
Sergeant (1975)

fjmas1976
09-11-08, 04:45 PM
Me and a fellow Marine buddy (and fellow Police Officer) have both agreed that the Corps made us just a bit OCD. I once spent an entire weekend measuring and ironing skivvies and t-shirts in preparation for a wall locker inspection. I still use a chevron spacer to put the collar pins on my police uniform. If the flag pin above my right pocket on my police uniform isn't "just right", I re-pin it until it looks squared away.

Full blown OCD, no. Marine Corps induced OCD, yes.:usmc:

CplKJSpevak
09-13-08, 03:15 AM
Me and a fellow Marine buddy (and fellow Police Officer) have both agreed that the Corps made us just a bit OCD. I still use a chevron spacer to put the collar pins on my police uniform. If the flag pin above my right pocket on my police uniform isn't "just right", I re-pin it until it looks squared away.

Full blown OCD, no. Marine Corps induced OCD, yes.:usmc:

So I'm not the only one who suffers from this 12 years out?:scared: Hell, I'm a boss where I work and I have to "Pass Word" in a military manner or my day isn't started right...they all accuse me OCD, But I call it Being a Marine...Clutter,wrinkles,dirt on the deck drive me nuts!....and being witness to nasty civillian's just makes me a more motivated vet, who is always looking forward to the next MCL meeting. Because those Leathernecks are the only ones who think like me!

g3shooter1
06-09-10, 01:31 AM
Figured I should give an update...I have talked with a recruiter and he seems to think it is possible.

I have two years left before I plan on joining and am almost totally off my meds.

Also, I am working on my physique daily...doing pushups and lower body exercising (especially biking).

The Army gives waivers for OCD, but the USMC is more stringent when it comes to issuing them out.

I have to go off meds for one year, at the behest of my doctor, and perform normally. My doc and I agree that there does not seem to be any reason I should furthur continue medication, almost all of my symptoms are gone.

Whether or not the Marines will take me is up to the big man in the sky and the medical officers with the rubber stamp.

If all else fails I will join the Army.

g3shooter1
06-27-10, 01:07 AM
I got a second opinion from some another recruiter...here is what I will need to do:

Be off meds for one year and have a doctor's note clearing me from the condition, stating that it no longer effects me. The note should also state that training/combat would not cause the condition to recur.

Then I will need to get ALL medical records that still exist on my treatment and condition and have them faxed to MEPS along with the medical prescreening form.

If MEPS checks me out, they will DQ me and possibly suggest a waiver.

If a waiver is suggested then I will have to write a note on how the condition effects me, and have EVERYTHING faxed to BUMED.

If BUMED clears me, I am in.

Another Marine made mention that the Corps is not granting a heck of a lot of waivers right now. So I will wait it out over the next few years for the right time to join.

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
06-27-10, 01:47 AM
I am not trying to burst your bubble here.

But, no Dr. knowing of a deep rooted condition of any kind no matter how long its been in remission.. Going out on a limb in his opinion and say in writing that it will not reoccur from training or combat situation you may experience in your future. He may give a verbal assumption but for his practice on the wall paper and issues with malpractice case set up in future. I would do research for your condition and the cases in all servces and try a new approach..
Thx for reading my 2 cents

I got a second opinion from some another recruiter...here is what I will need to do:

Be off meds for one year and have a doctor's note clearing me from the condition, stating that it no longer effects me. The note should also state that training/combat would not cause the condition to recur.

Then I will need to get ALL medical records that still exist on my treatment and condition and have them faxed to MEPS along with the medical prescreening form.

If MEPS checks me out, they will DQ me and possibly suggest a waiver.

If a waiver is suggested then I will have to write a note on how the condition effects me, and have EVERYTHING faxed to BUMED.

If BUMED clears me, I am in.

Another Marine made mention that the Corps is not granting a heck of a lot of waivers right now. So I will wait it out over the next few years for the right time to join.

Vandrel
06-27-10, 07:08 AM
Guilty as charged

g3shooter1
06-27-10, 12:21 PM
I would do research for your condition and the cases in all servces and try a new approach..

There does not seem to be any different approach I can take...either I get in or I don't.