PDA

View Full Version : Differences in Service Alpha Uniforms?

mgkusmc
09-09-08, 11:05 AM
Okay so even though I have been in the Corps for two years now, I really havent had a chance to look and compare and contrast Officer Service Alphas and Enlisted Service Alphas, besides the obvious differences (rank and the framed cap) what are the differences between the Officer Service Alphas and Enlisted Service Alphas?

Pete0331
09-09-08, 07:43 PM
Why do you need to know?

outlaw3179
09-09-08, 08:44 PM
I think those are the only differences. Other than than that they are the same. No rank on the arms, rank on the shirt collar, and cover. Oh just remembered , rank on their shoulders.

usmchauer
09-09-08, 08:51 PM
No hashmarks on any Marine Officer uniforms. Also they don't receive good conduct medals. If you see an Officer with one he was enlisted.

mgkusmc
09-09-08, 09:59 PM
So basically other than rank placement and hashmarks and such there is no difference, cause I know in the past officers uniforms have been made of different material, and different cuts and patterns etc. But with this its just the placement of the ranks?

usmchauer
09-10-08, 11:18 AM
Correct, the service alpha uniform materials and design appears to be same/same for enlisted/officer.

yellowwing
09-10-08, 11:23 AM
I swear I've seen Officers Alpha's with a different material. You think that was a custom job? And I never saw one wearing those 'broke-dick' khakis but a Great Northern or Creighton shirt.

Sgt Leprechaun
09-10-08, 11:48 AM
Officers Alpha uniforms are cut the same, but of a higher quality material, than the standard enlisted uniforms. Since they purchase their own, YW is correct, it's highly unlikely you'll ever see an officer wearing what is considered an 'enlisted' khaki shirt. They all buy the GN or Creighton's.

The higher quality material gives their alpha blouses a very, very, slight difference in color when compared to the enlisted blouses. As mentioned, the epaullets are also configured slightly different as well. And, no hashmarks, even if prior enlisted.

FromMD
09-28-08, 03:12 PM
The pockets are slightly different, if I am recalling correctly. Prior to completing OCS they had all of the uniform shop representatives talking to us and they all boasted at being able to turn the enlisted coat into an officer one by changing the pockets (provided the uniform had minimal use, slight discoloration was a concern once the chevrons were removed.).

Eric Hood
09-28-08, 06:00 PM
Is it true that the Army can stick any kind of do-dad on their suits?

Sgt Leprechaun
09-29-08, 09:38 AM
You'll have to be more specific about 'doodad'. If the question is, "Are they authorized a bunch of crap Marines aren't", then the answer is 'Yes'. Each unit and sub unit has it's own little patches, distinctive crests, and whatnot. Plus, when you join the unit you join, if that unit won battle honors in it's previous history (WWII, Korea, etc) then you get to wear those, too, while assigned to the unit.

silverdollar
10-14-08, 06:39 AM
What do Marines call an Alpha uniform? when I was in we had 5 uniforms.
1- utilities
2-khakies
3- tropicals
4-greens ( winter uniform)
5- blues ( cost too much for too little wear)

Sgt Leprechaun
10-14-08, 07:26 AM
That would be the "Greens" winter uniform. In the late 60's or early 70's, the Corps also came out with a summer weight "Greens"/Alpha uniform, that lasted until the early 1990's (If I remember right).

Now it's a 'medium weight' poly/wool blend. The summer weight uniform was mostly poly.

FromMD
12-07-08, 01:03 PM
I just got fitted for my service uniform the other day, I asked the uniform shop this question to finally get a solid answer. They said the lining of the coat is different, and the enlisted pockets on the coat are flush, the officer ones are 'expandable.' (that is the best way I can describe it). No one would ever notice the difference though unless they walked up and pulled on your pockets...

jmc1302
12-17-08, 09:09 PM
The officer's pockets are called "bellows" pockets I believe. They also used to have a sword slit sewn in on the left side just under the cloth belt. That was so you could wear the sword sling under the blouse and the sword could hang on the outside.

As I recall they recently did away with that and the sword is only worn with the Sam Browne belt

Sgt Leprechaun
12-18-08, 11:37 PM
And, there you have it. Word from the experts.

Gy7ras
12-19-08, 09:32 AM
What do Marines call an Alpha uniform? when I was in we had 5 uniforms.
1- utilities
2-khakies
3- tropicals
4-greens ( winter uniform)
5- blues ( cost too much for too little wear)

Don't forget the Horse Blanket (Over Coat) :D

coffeejoejava
01-06-09, 09:52 AM
The pockets on the Officer Alphas are "bellows" or expandable. The other difference is on the left side, a small slit to enable the brass loop from the frog for the sword to poke through. This enabel the officer to hook up his calvary sling to it and hang his sword correctly. All this is used in conjunction with the under blouse rigging system. I have it but have never used it or seen it used.

iamcloudlander
02-16-09, 09:19 PM
I don't know much about the differences as to the service uniforms but at the Marine Corps Ball in Nov 08 I as did most of the Marines attending saw two officers in the new dress dinner uniform. We were taking bets on whether they were army or not. They are not blue but sort of green, with two red stripes with a yellow stripe in between on the trousers,the barracks covers had the same colors on the band. I don't remember all the differences but it was not even close to the old dress blues officer or enlisted. Even the Co of the unit said he had never seen one before.
I still have my old Staff NCO dinner dress uniform which is white with gold piping gold chevrons and hash marks. No it doesn't fit any longer.
I do remember that officers did not wear any khaki uniforms when I was in but all their shirts and trousers were tropical. Enlisted was long sleeves--tropical--and the short sleeves were--khaki--and we had khaki trousers and covers both garrison and barracks. Also the officers could wear corform shoes while we had just the leather ones. The officers barracks covers had the (don't remember what they are called) but it looked like a clover leaf on the top.