PDA

View Full Version : Want to go back in as an 03

Enigmatic
09-09-08, 10:33 AM
Hey all. I got out a year ago, in September '07. I'm pretty sure I wanna go back in, but I've been wrestling with something in my mind. I was Admin, and honestly I hated the crap out of it. Especially in my last duty station, I was with one of the FAST Companies in Norfolk, VA serving as the company clerk. I was the only Admin guy there. Nearly all the NCOs, Platoon Sergeants and Platoon Commanders were 03s. If not then they were Arty or from a combat-arms MOS. Techniquely all the junior Marines were 03's as well, but really they were serving an 8152 billet.
Just shooting the **** with my fellow NCOs that worked in HQ with me, I realized there was so much I hadn't done and wanted to do in the Corps. They had all been in OIF I. The closest I ever been to a deployment was being asked by my 1stSgt in Oki if I wanted to participate in Operation Cobra Gold in Thailand before changing his mind right afterward.
Anyways, here's my question - I miss the hell out of the Corps, but if I go back in, I don't want to be admin again. So as an NCO is it too late to look to lat move into the 03 field? I mean, obviously on paper it's not too late, but will I be able to catch up with my peers and be able to lead men that have been to Iraq two, three times? I admit my knowledge of infantry tactics are pretty much limited to whatever I retained from MCT nearly five years ago, and the Marine Rifleman MCI. How could I go into the 03 field and be an effective NCO grunt? Anybody have any advice or pointers? Should I just lat move into something else? Thanks in advance and Semper Fi.

Cpl Gonzalez

thewookie
09-09-08, 11:43 AM
Don't live your life wondering what if, or doing what you don't want to do. Weigh the pro & cons and go for it. You already know the games. Why not?

If you go back as an 03xx they'll send you to SOI, so your lack of basic knowledge will be refreshed there. From there you need to work hard to know your shiat, know your shiat, know your shiat.

And as far as leading guys that have two or more tours; they'll follow you know your shiat and if you lead from the front. If they have a few tours they'll most likely be NCO's anyway, so they'll be your peers and they have valuable lessons if you listen.

You might hear shiat from a few of them, but over time, Marines respect knowledgeable leaders.

Wyoming
09-09-08, 11:55 AM
Go, go, go!

Enigmatic
09-09-08, 12:05 PM
Thank you Sgt. You're right. If I want to put the cammies back on and go the 03 field, I shouldn't let any obstacles stand in my way. And if they do, push 'em the hell outta my way. Again, thanks for the advice.

BTW, it's good to see someone else that was with MCSFBN on here. Although when you were there, you probably knew my old unit, 3rd FAST Co, as MCSFCO Kevlavick, Iceland. I hear they're calling it MCSF Regiment now. How things change. Semper Fi.

Enigmatic
09-09-08, 12:07 PM
Roger wilco, bigalholmes165. Semper Fi.
<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_387446", true); </SCRIPT>

thewookie
09-09-08, 03:52 PM
you probably knew my old unit, 3rd FAST Co, as MCSFCO Kevlavick, Iceland.

I left that area (VA Beach area) in 99 actually in late 98 on terminal leave, and at that time Keflavik was still its own company or it was in Iceland. When I first got there there was only 1 FAST platoon and that was at NOB. But by the time I left there FAST had 2 platoons and talk was they were going to 3, But at the time there was 1 at NOB and the other at Yorktown. I hear they have 6 FAST Platoons now? So I'm assuming they made you guys (Keflavik) one of them? My old Detachment in Greece was disbanded, sorry to hear,,, maybe they made them one of the "new" platoons also?

SF Marine - Go for it!

fjmas1976
09-09-08, 04:11 PM
Oorah. Go for it Devil. Semper Fi:usmc:

outlaw3179
09-09-08, 09:00 PM
I knew 2 guys I think from your units wookie. Do the names Marquez or Harclerode ring a bell ? I know both of those guys were in Greece and Keflavik with fast right around the same time frame.

thewookie
09-10-08, 06:50 AM
I knew 2 guys I think from your units wookie. Do the names Marquez or Harclerode ring a bell ? I know both of those guys were in Greece and Keflavik with fast right around the same time frame.

No, those names don't ring a bell, we had three platoons there and they weren't in mine. Due to Guard schedules you didn't interact with other platoons very often, so it's possible that they were there at the same time.

Enigmatic
09-10-08, 10:10 AM
I hear they have 6 FAST Platoons now? So I'm assuming they made you guys (Keflavik) one of them? My old Detachment in Greece was disbanded, sorry to hear,,, maybe they made them one of the "new" platoons also?

SF Marine - Go for it!

Actually, there are three whole FAST Companies now. 1st and 3rd FAST Companies are in Norfolk, VA, not in NOB but in Camp Allen which is right down the road, and 2nd FAST is in Yorktown. Each company has six platoons, I believe. I know 3rd did. 3F1, 3F2, 3F3, etc. Kevlavik was disbanded and realigned in Norfolk as 3rd FAST, I want to say, sometime in 2001 or 2002? Thanks again and SF.