View Full Version : Ripon teacher joins the Marines, if only for a while

thedrifter
09-09-08, 08:21 AM
Posted on Tue, Sep. 09, 2008
Ripon teacher joins the Marines, if only for a while
By MICHELLE HATFIELD
mhatfield@modbee.com

last updated: September 08, 2008 11:59:11 PM

RIPON -- Not many 64-year-olds are shouting affirmatives at drill instructors and aiming guns at Marine boot camp, but Jerry Terpsma was ready for the challenge.

He wanted to understand what soldiers endure and gain from military service.

The longtime Ripon Christian High School teacher signed up for the Marine Corps Educator Workshop, which took in 70 teachers, counselors and principals from California, Oregon and Alaska for a week of exercises in early August near San Diego.

Terpsma teaches American government and U.S. history at Ripon Christian. The father of four and grandfather of 12 still connects with students, whom he uses to help tune an already sharp mind and quick wit.

Recently, he talked about his excursion and career.

Q: Why did you want to attend the Marine Corps' boot camp?

A: The goal (from the Marine Corps' perspective) was to show educators how the Marine Corps makes Marines. In the last 10 to 15 years, many of our graduates have joined the Marines, more so than the Army and others. I wanted to see what the appeal was. I have a better respect for the military.

Q: What are some of the things you did at the boot camp?

A: They showed us the equipment, weapons and training. We had to march in form, shout, "Aye, aye, sir!" I found out drill instructors shout all the time. We got a taste of the 13 weeks of boot camp. We also got videos and lectures and activities. It's strenuous. You have to be in extra good physical condition.

Q: When did you know you wanted to be a teacher?

A: Second grade. I always loved school. I was always looking (through) encyclopedias. I knew all the state birds and state nicknames. You could tell me the year, and I could tell you our president at the time. The encyclopedias -- isn't that crazy? What kid does that? History's always been my calling. American history, the 20th century mainly because of current politics. I love the changes.

Q: You've been teaching -- all at Ripon Christian -- for 43 years. How much longer can you go?

A: It's the interaction with the students. I still think of myself as young, and it's because of them. ... Come April and May, the end of the school year, I never count the days down. I'm always looking forward to next year.

Bee staff writer Michelle Hatfield can be reached at mhatfield@modbee.com or 578-2339.

Ellie