PDA

View Full Version : Dep

TroneS
09-09-08, 01:53 AM
Ok I have a question about the DEP. Here's my situation, I am currently enrolled in college for this semester, but I also have braces. My Recruiter said that with the DEP I would wait four months before I was shipped. I need more time though, my braces dont come off until next may or so, and I may wish to take another semester of college.

Unrelated question i was reminded of - Does anyone know what the college unit requirements are for graduating boot camp w/ an E-2?

Heres where I have a problem, my Recruiter told me about how the fiscal year starts October 1st and how thats when all the jobs are available. The job I think I want is UZ (Reconassaince Man). I say "I think" b/c I am still deciding on which MOS is best for me.

So basically what I am asking is can I have my DEP be like 8 months long instead of four?

If you know of any jobs that are similar to reconassaince man, please tell me about them. My recruiter said I would qualify for everything based on the practice test i took.

Thnx, I appreciate all and any help, so far I have all I have decided for sure is that I want to be actively enlisted in the Marines.

yellowwing
09-09-08, 02:17 AM
Yes, every year on 1 October many jobs open up again. Until you sign, then you can bargain for 4 or 8 months what ever suits you and your situation.

Another job similar to Recon? Wow, I can't really think of anything.

jrhd97
09-09-08, 07:52 AM
Don't count your chickens before there hatched. A practice test is just an indicator. Take the real test and see how you score.
Personally, I agree with waiting until the braces come off. The college, you can transfer or stay with what ever school your in as long as they offer distance learning and the school your in is acredited. Many schools will allow you to attend online. Many bases have schools like the University of Maryland that offer classes. Furthering your education while in is a real possibility. You can get tuition assistance also.

OB MSG
09-09-08, 09:27 AM
To answer the unrelated question of college credits = E-2.

When I joined, I had 105 college credits and an Associates under my belt. The minimun amount is 30, or at least it was in '98.

The rest of the info these gentlemen gave you is accurate. Your DEP can be up to a year long, if you need the eight months, take it. Boot would probably suck a lot if you had to deal with braces.

The job pool does thin out as the fiscal year progresses but make sure you get the job YOU want before you sign the line. I have heard to many &itch stories of Marines saying they didn't get what they signed up for. I wanted to be in 2800 field, I got it. If you go open contract or let someone talk you into a job you don't want with promises that you'll be able to change it later, that's you screw-up. Once you sign into an MOS field, that is it until you re-enlist or you flunk out of the school, and you don't want to do that. (What's for lunch, Cookie?!, get my drift?)