PDA

View Full Version : Marine Corps Infantry

PackardT
09-09-08, 01:27 AM
I talked to a recruiter today about going 0311 infantry even though I have a degree in electrical engineering, he said that it's ultimately my choice, even though the Corps has a need for trained engineers.

My question is, how accurate is this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msNBZ_9Grbg

as to the day to day life of an infantryman? If it turns out to be 'no combat action', I may as well become a POG.

Danger Kane
09-09-08, 01:43 AM
There are a couple inaccuracies with that video:

1.) You probably won't ever be sitting down on post.
2.) Or having that much fun.

Standing on post somewhere being bored out of your wits comes with the job. So what? I'd rather be bored most of the time in the infantry than all the time as a pogue.

Pete0331
09-09-08, 01:46 AM
I talked to a recruiter today about going 0311 infantry even though I have a degree in electrical engineering, he said that it's ultimately my choice, even though the Corps has a need for trained engineers.

as to the day to day life of an infantryman? If it turns out to be 'no combat action', I may as well become a POG.

LOL great video.

Yes, it is an accurate video in what happens on guard in Iraq, but it is only once piece of a myriad of missions that are tasked.

TroneS
09-09-08, 01:59 AM
What about like 0321? Does this only apply to 0311 or all 03's?

yellowwing
09-09-08, 02:06 AM
There are a couple inaccuracies with that video:

1.) You probably won't ever be sitting down on post.
2.) Or having that much fun.

Standing on post somewhere being bored out of your wits comes with the job. So what? I'd rather be bored most of the time in the infantry than all the time as a pogue.

It wasn't that boring! :nerd:

Your Recruiter is right, it is ultimately your choice!

Pete0331
09-09-08, 02:15 AM
What about like 0321? Does this only apply to 0311 or all 03's?

Recon is different, but it will most likely apply to 03's serving in an Infantry battalion.

With your engineering experience you should go into Combat Engineers.

PackardT
09-09-08, 02:15 AM
Well, the idea is that I want to serve my country, and it's a contrast between doing engineering work and being productive versus standing at a post for two hours staring into blank sand.

I'll have to show this to my recruiter at the end of the week.

Pete0331
09-09-08, 02:17 AM
...two hours staring into blank sand.

I'll have to show this to my recruiter at the end of the week.

That is a very short post you'd be standing.;)

If you want to be a grunt go be a grunt.

PackardT
09-09-08, 02:36 AM
Also, some related videos in case anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xham-wug6Hs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RXGRvgEZWXA

Sent to me by a high school friend of mine, who is currently 0311 in Afghanistan, trying to dissuade me from being a grunt.

BR34
09-09-08, 05:32 AM
Those Marines were waiting on big wigs to form a formation to release them for their 96. All they could do was wait, can't really rush that. It's not MOS specific. We all do that hurry up and wait ****.

FutureBootLouie
09-09-08, 07:19 AM

You have a degree from Cal-Berkeley, one of the finest schools in the country, and I see your favorite Marine is Captain Elrod. why not go to Officer Candidate School? I heard that there are plenty of 0302 openings, and that if you want 0302 and you didn't suck, you'd get it.

rvillac2
09-10-08, 03:03 AM
It's either Cal, or Berkeley, not ever Cal-Berkeley.
Go Bears!

HurricaneRJ
09-10-08, 06:18 AM
Want a normal day in the grunts?

0630- PT

0800-1100 Classes

1100-1300 Chow

1300-1545 Boot Hazing

1600 - Secured for liberty.

But really, it all depends on where you are in the work up. When your a boot, your at the bottom of the totem pole, your senior LCpls who your chain of command will call. 1 Pump Chumps, will establish dominance, they will try to act like D.I. and quarterdeck you for no particular reason.

After you come back from deployment, it's all laid back. Just you have to put your time in. If I was in your case, I wouldn't enlist, go to OCS become a officer.

FutureBootLouie
09-10-08, 08:22 AM
It's either Cal, or Berkeley, not ever Cal-Berkeley.
Go Bears!

lol ok sorry

CAL then

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARON RODGERS !!!!!!!!!

FutureBootLouie
09-10-08, 08:26 AM
Want a normal day in the grunts?

0630- PT

0800-1100 Classes

1100-1300 Chow

1300-1545 Boot Hazing

1600 - Secured for liberty.

But really, it all depends on where you are in the work up. When your a boot, your at the bottom of the totem pole, your senior LCpls who your chain of command will call. 1 Pump Chumps, will establish dominance, they will try to act like D.I. and quarterdeck you for no particular reason.

After you come back from deployment, it's all laid back. Just you have to put your time in. If I was in your case, I wouldn't enlist, go to OCS become a officer.

I know its a big thing in the grunts, but I can't STAND the term "Senior Lance Corporal"

thats the dumbest term ever for sh*tbags who can't pick up Corporal in 4 years who want to try push some people around.

PackardT
09-12-08, 09:48 PM
Alright, I showed my recruiter that video today, asked him about the grunt experience, he told me this:

"If you go grunt, you'll be doing that every day, if you go engineering, you'll be stringing up wires and writing reports every day. It doesn't make a difference."

I was also able to talk to a Marine who was a parachute rigger for two years, he basically said his life for those two years was groundhog day, spending his time sitting at a sewing table sewing with about 20 other Marines who were bored stiff.

All of that is suddenly making me reconsider.

2ndLAADBnWRENCH
09-12-08, 10:16 PM
Recon is different, but it will most likely apply to 03's serving in an Infantry battalion.

With your engineering experience you should go into Combat Engineers.

With a degree why is the recruiter not speaking of OCS? Yes, with your experience engineers would be a good start for an officer.

UsmcMotorT
09-13-08, 07:37 AM
Alright, I showed my recruiter that video today, asked him about the grunt experience, he told me this:

"If you go grunt, you'll be doing that every day, if you go engineering, you'll be stringing up wires and writing reports every day. It doesn't make a difference."

I was also able to talk to a Marine who was a parachute rigger for two years, he basically said his life for those two years was groundhog day, spending his time sitting at a sewing table sewing with about 20 other Marines who were bored stiff.

Then reconsider.

We dont want you to join and be that 10%

kbs95125
09-14-08, 06:53 PM

Go away. I love sitting in the hot sun, completely miserable and sleep deprived and transferring over into the night and freezing cold sitting in the same defensive position for hours until every part of my body ceases to hurt and just go numb and still screaming at myself in my head "Stay awake...stay awake..." then watching the sun rise while hiking every place you need to go. It gets even better when you are out in the field all week, miserable, hungry, dirty, hurting and tired and you "patrol" to a pick up 3 miles away to a 7-ton where the driver who has been in the rear enjoying hot chow, a bed and shower all god damn week, whose only real job as far as he is concerned is to drive and prep the vehicle for pick up, decides he doesn't want to set up the benches like he is supposed to. So to top off your amazing mental and physical state, you then get a very ****ed off Staff Sgt. telling you to get into the %*^&ing 7 tons and put the benches down now before he puts a boot upside your head, because as usual, you are behind schedule. Welcome to the Marine Corps and welcome to being a grunt.

At this point you are thinking... wow that sounds horrible. Well it was. It sucks. And I love every god damn minute of it and wouldn't change it for the world. I have people to my left and right of me at all times that no matter what I can call my brother. We feel the same pain, share the same laughter. I know more about the Marines in my platoon then I do about my family. I've seen my fellow Marines struggle through intense physical pain and accomplish daunting tasks. They are my brothers and I wouldn't trade anything for them.

If you can't live a life of taking in the good and the bad, and some days there is a lot of bad, then don't join the Marine Corps. Being a Marine isn't about you, or about securing you a job for the future. You want it or you don't.

outlaw3179
09-14-08, 07:00 PM
lol..louie..I hated my "Sr. Lance Criminals"

Do-Or-Die
09-16-08, 10:35 PM
"First of all, these videos are jokes and are not to be taken seriously. We are acting stupid on purpose, and the afghani kids know it, so if you can't recognize it then that makes you stupid (I love irony)" --- what the producers said about their videos...