PDA

View Full Version : Soldier wanting to become a USMC Sniper.

USMC Archer
09-08-08, 11:12 PM
I am currently in the U.S. Army Reserve. I am about to hit my 1 year left mark with the Army. The second my contract is up, I will be signing with the USMC Active Duty.

I would love to get some more information about the Scout Sniper MOS/School. All I currently know is that it is a selective MOS out of a Infantry Company for the most part.

Wyoming
09-08-08, 11:18 PM
I am currently in the U.S. Army Reserve. I am about to hit my 1 year left mark with the Army. The second my contract is up, I will be signing with the USMC Active Duty.

I would love to get some more information about the Scout Sniper MOS/School. All I currently know is that it is a selective MOS out of a Infantry Company for the most part.

I am going to ****ing puke!!

davblay
09-08-08, 11:38 PM
FILL OUT YOUR PROFILE, READ THE RULES AND THEN USE THE SEARCH BUTTON!

yellowwing
09-09-08, 12:02 AM

Your going to have to go through Boot Camp. If your in shape it should not be too much of a problem.

Your Recruiter can get you a 03 grunt MOS with a shot at Recon try outs. It is a try out and there are no guarantees.

Don't forget swimming!

USMC Archer
09-09-08, 12:24 AM
Your going to have to go through Boot Camp. If your in shape it should not be too much of a problem.

Your Recruiter can get you a 03 grunt MOS with a shot at Recon try outs. It is a try out and there are no guarantees.

Don't forget swimming!

Thanks for the input. I am aware that I have to go through boot camp, and am actually glad. I think boot camp on top of my current physical condition will help.

Is recon the best guarantee to get into a Scout Sniper slot?

Also what is the swim qualification like?

davblay
09-09-08, 12:33 AM
Well Wing he just ignored my big red letters, is he exempt or something?

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-09-08, 12:35 AM
Read the rules doggie- you follow those and then we can talk.

Of course, all you're going to be told is to use the search function. We've covered this no less than 9394495485602894850392103854856054 times this week.

USMC Archer
09-09-08, 12:38 AM
Well Wing he just ignored my big red letters, is he exempt or something?

I filled out my profile, and used search. Just trying to get some inside information. Hell I even watched the history channel documentary on USMC Scout Snipers for an hour on here.

davblay
09-09-08, 12:39 AM
I filled out my profile, and used search. Just trying to get some inside information. Hell I even watched the history channel documentary on USMC Scout Snipers for an hour on here.

Thank You!

FutureBootLouie
09-09-08, 07:32 AM
Thanks for the input. I am aware that I have to go through boot camp, and am actually glad. I think boot camp on top of my current physical condition will help.

You don't need to go into recon to become a Scout Sniper. I'm not 100% sure of the process, but you'll need to be an Infantryman, then take the Sniper Indoc, which then you will be attached to STA platoon as a "Pig", which then you will train and deploy with your scout sniper platoon unless with your normal line unit. (don't know was it stands for) After you complete the Official USMC Scout Sniper School, you will then officially receive your Scout Sniper MOS - 0317 (used to be 8541)

Any scout snipers here, please let me know if I'm handing out any bum scoop.

Oh yeah, you'll have to go to boot camp, and you lose any rank you attained in the Army. So you'll go from SPC or SGT or whatever you were to Pfc (E-2).

Good luck

SlingerDun
09-09-08, 08:59 AM
.....Hell I even watched the history channel documentary on USMC Scout Snipers for an hour on here.dude thats dedication....!heard tell them thare snipers often take an hour just to scratch an itch and pee

SupChf
09-09-08, 10:42 AM

I had the pleasure (or shock, depending on how you look at it) to witness some of the Recon indoc swim qual....I honestly believe that there are Olympic swimmers that would have a hard time making it through....

There are no guarentees to a Scout Sniper "slot"....go the traditional way, 03XX (Infantry), if your Platoon Sgt feels you have a legit shot at it, he'll get you into the indoc....

Fubar5812
09-09-08, 08:21 PM
what was your mos in the army?

corky0566
09-11-08, 10:59 AM
The young lad is asking a question about our beloved Corps and the smart replies such as "I am goin to ****ing puke" is out of line....
First and foremost, you enter and complete boot camp as any other recruit. What ever your recruiter has told you or what you qualify for might change once you have completed your basic training. Depending on how well you do in tests that are given is of some value on what MOS you are assigned. Our son was assigned communications with his first duty station in 2nd Anglico. He repeatedly ask for "Force Recon" when he first heard of the "Brotherhood" that all Recon Marines kept talking about. Finally, he became a Recon Marine and served proudly until his death in a helicopter accident off the coast of San Diego, Calif.

Again, once you have completed boot camp, start requesting the change if you are not assigned to the unit of your choice.

Semper Fi

Cpl Starling, "Gold Star" Family

davblay
09-11-08, 11:12 AM
The young lad is asking a question about our beloved Corps and the smart replies such as "I am goin to ****ing puke" is out of line....
First and foremost, you enter and complete boot camp as any other recruit. What ever your recruiter has told you or what you qualify for might change once you have completed your basic training. Depending on how well you do in tests that are given is of some value on what MOS you are assigned. Our son was assigned communications with his first duty station in 2nd Anglico. He repeatedly ask for "Force Recon" when he first heard of the "Brotherhood" that all Recon Marines kept talking about. Finally, he became a Recon Marine and served proudly until his death in a helicopter accident off the coast of San Diego, Calif.

Again, once you have completed boot camp, start requesting the change if you are not assigned to the unit of your choice.

Semper Fi

Cpl, I noticed that you were wearing the old HARD STRIPE CPL E-3 in your profile photo. You went in the Corps in year prior to when My brother, The Gunny, did!

Semper Fi,

Dave

corky0566
09-11-08, 11:19 AM
My profile picture was taken in Okinawa in early 1960, after we had won the Island Championship in Flag football. I believe at the time, I was a Lance Corporal....

Wyoming
09-11-08, 02:20 PM

Semper Fi

WRONG!

Too start with, no profile. Oh, is there one today? Well bless him!

2ndly, this topic has been raised a kajillion times, AND, if the SEARCH button were used, answers would be given.

BUT, it is soooooooo much easier to ask, as iffen you are the 1st to come up with such a provocative and compelling question.

Also, Semper Fidelis to you and thanks for your service, as well as that of your Son.

corky0566
09-11-08, 06:48 PM
Maybe the young lad is not as "gifted" as you are on a computer. All in all, he still didn't deserve the reply he received. Lead and ye shall find followers....Semper Fi, Brother, and I really mean that....

Cpl Starling

YutYut
09-11-08, 06:55 PM
Ok gents, back to the task at hand. The good Captain (MyCorps) posted a sticky regarding Scout/Snipers on the POOL(ee) Hall section. Check that out for some good info.

corky0566
09-11-08, 07:12 PM
Been there, done that....

outlaw3179
09-11-08, 07:34 PM
Wow...What the f*ck is the point of even having a place where someone can ask a question and a Marine can answer it. I swear , every time I come on here , every time any kid asks a question , its" Oh wait , let me get the popcorn" or "Oh God here we go again" , or "OH my God I think IM going to vomit" , Dammn. If you want to answer a question answer it. If you dont STFU.
Maybe since the last time since the question was answered maybe the answer has has changed. Maybe theres better intel. You are supposed to guide and instruct. Now Ive been guily of jumping a kid on here too but damn. Not every f*cking time. For example when some jackass asked should he practice eating MRE's. Wow . Thats a fu*king retarded question. If a kid wants to know how he can get better to become Recon well thats not a bad question. Answer it. or dont.
Bottome line , if you have a question ask it. If you dont , oh well dont answer it. No matter how many times its been asked kids will continue to ask . Its called youth . They want to be Joe Recon, Ricky Ranger , Doc Highspeed or whatever name you want to call it.
This is how I feel . I dont care if you are offended or you think this may or may not pertain to you . This is for poolees to ask questions.

ECHO 5 ROMEO OUT.

Mikewebe
09-11-08, 07:38 PM
Ok I have served in both the ANG and the Corps, the range is drastically different. First off you need to shoot expert as in the Army to qualify, but the Corps isn't fond of the average expert, you need about 235 out of 250 to be a real candidate. The STA platoons are apparently no more so you need to consider a recon unit. Get used to using your M16 at 500 yards instead of 300. As far as I know the rest is basically the same for school. The Snipers I knew in the Guard were very competent. So field craft and such should be at least similar.

Mikewebe
09-11-08, 07:44 PM
And Outlaw I agree

Wyoming
09-11-08, 08:57 PM
I agree also.

I also agree that the rules should be followed.

Don't the rest of you?

... or is the answer, STFU?

USMC Archer
09-11-08, 09:53 PM
what was your mos in the army?

I am a 31B combat support.

AKA Military Police Convoy Security/Convoy Patrol.

USMC Archer
09-11-08, 10:06 PM
I know you have to shoot 500 yards, and I have shot expert on the Army SAW range. I believe it was over 500 yards, but I know at the least it was 500 yards. Not that it is the same as a M-16, I am just saying.

I heard marines don't have pop-ups targets though. Is this true? Plus Army now has to kneel, which is easy IMO but alot of people struggle with the kneel.

The lowest I ever shot was at Basic Training 37/40. My DS tould me not to shoot at the 300s, and to save them for the others that I miss. Well at the end of the shoot I had 3 rounds left ;). Since then I have shot 40/40 everytime but once I shot 39/40. I really couldn't see shooting being a problem for me. I am more worried about the chances of being selected for INDOC, PT, and the Scout Snip. School in general. They say its a 30% drop out rate. Which at first you don't think its bad, then you realize that the guy who failed was a SEAL, Force Recon, or Some High Speed Infantry Marine which is a scary thought.

TJR1070
09-12-08, 07:38 AM
First of all "USMC Archer" you are not a Marine and we certainly don't have archers. Second, the way the Army qualifies with a weapon is completely different than the way we qualify. There are no sandbags to support the weapon and we have two rates of fire both rapid and slow. We have four different shooting positions that you will have to master to even begin thinking about qualifying expert and we have three different distances that are mandatory to fire from not an option.
Third, Scout/Sniper school is one of the most competetive school in the Marine Corps and draw alot of intrest from some very qualified Marines some of whom don't make it through the course the first time and that's not because of the range most of the time. Distance recognition, weather adjustments and military target recognition are some of the more difficult parts of the course.
Fourth, my advise to you is to start preparing yourself for boot camp which will be the first hurdle you will have to overcome to succeed with your plan and then don't forget about SOI which is no joke. Prior service is no guarantee to completeing either one.

UsmcMotorT
09-13-08, 07:59 AM
The Army rifle range is totally different from the Marines.

I believe the Army use automated targets which pop up. You are relatively close to the targets like 25-100 yards but the targets are modified in size to represent different distances (200, 300, etc); please correct me if I'm wrong. They shoot unsupported and supported (sand bags). I honestly think it's super lazy (compared to the USMC Range, working the pit, humping from 200yds to 500yds, etc).

I was also told that you just have to hit the target to get points, so you can hit the very edge of the target and get a point without getting close to the center.

Research the Marine Corps Rifle Range and qualifications to get an idea of what to expect. We have 4 tables, I've only shot table 1 and 2. Grunts I believe shoot 1-4.

UsmcMotorT
09-13-08, 08:01 AM
First of all "USMC Archer" you are not a Marine and we certainly don't have archers.

That is too funny :yes:

corky0566
09-13-08, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the protecting my flank, Outlaw....

Cpl Starling

outlaw3179
09-13-08, 11:19 AM
Roger.

USMC Archer
09-13-08, 05:30 PM
First of all "USMC Archer" you are not a Marine and we certainly don't have archers.

My last name is Archer.

Achped
09-13-08, 07:06 PM
You are not USMC anything.

Zulu 36
09-13-08, 07:27 PM
Let's be nice fellas. I'll go first.

Archer, you really do need to lose the USMC part of your handle. You may want to be a Marine, but you are not yet, and we are rather particular about it. Do that, and most of the hostility will ease.

SGT7477
09-14-08, 09:08 AM

For one thing you haven't made it as a Marine and you're talking scout sniper.:evilgrin:

SGT7477
09-14-08, 09:26 AM
I know you have to shoot 500 yards, and I have shot expert on the Army SAW range. I believe it was over 500 yards, but I know at the least it was 500 yards. Not that it is the same as a M-16, I am just saying.

I heard marines don't have pop-ups targets though. Is this true? Plus Army now has to kneel, which is easy IMO but alot of people struggle with the kneel.

The lowest I ever shot was at Basic Training 37/40. My DS tould me not to shoot at the 300s, and to save them for the others that I miss. Well at the end of the shoot I had 3 rounds left ;). Since then I have shot 40/40 everytime but once I shot 39/40. I really couldn't see shooting being a problem for me. I am more worried about the chances of being selected for INDOC, PT, and the Scout Snip. School in general. They say its a 30% drop out rate. Which at first you don't think its bad, then you realize that the guy who failed was a SEAL, Force Recon, or Some High Speed Infantry Marine which is a scary thought.

Another rule here Marines or Marine will be capitalized at all times.

TJR1070
09-15-08, 07:52 AM
My last name is Archer.

Listen "Army Archer" your motivation is commendable and will be needed to complete the tests that will make you a Marine. Your excitement over your possible career path within the Infantry MOS' is also a good thing that should be mentored. However casting uninformed opinions about our training and you're success within those schools is something that should be left to your actual performance. Instead of giving us a preview of your top of the class results, you should be using the search function, networking with other poolee's for the actual knowledge you will need to complete boot camp and picking the brains of Marines on this site who have been there, done that. Excitement is good but knowledge is power.

RememberMorriso
09-16-08, 12:00 AM
STA platoons still exist, they are in H&S. I am doing the indoc here shortly. My friend, Cpl Day is in STA and has told me all the info.

As for your question about join the Marines to be a sniper, dream on. Very small percentage of even getting a shot at an indoc. Also you have to be able just to qualify for it as well as the fact that you might not even pass the indoc or SS training.

So basically dream on.

FutureBootLouie
10-02-08, 05:25 PM
STA platoons still exist, they are in H&S. I am doing the indoc here shortly. My friend, Cpl Day is in STA and has told me all the info.

As for your question about join the Marines to be a sniper, dream on. Very small percentage of even getting a shot at an indoc. Also you have to be able just to qualify for it as well as the fact that you might not even pass the indoc or SS training.

So basically dream on.

If you're in the reserves, they'll take just about anyone for the indoc. They wanted me to take it, I was like ummm no thx, the thought of laying in an area for days with worms biting off my D and crawling 3 inches per hour and defecating in my ghillie suit just somehow doesn't appeal to me?

Quinbo
10-04-08, 05:57 PM
The 15% drop rate is a sea story. Sniper school is one of a handful of MC schools that has no imperitive whatsoever to graduate anyone. If you actually get the quota and don't cut the mustard you are dropped period. If a certain class starts with 40 and only graduates 1 there will be no questions asked. That's the way it is. No recycle no second chance.