PDA

View Full Version : Overthinking bootcamp

FutureBootLouie
09-08-08, 08:16 AM
A lot of you are WAY overthinking recruit training.

This is what you need to do for yourselves:

Get a first class PFT. Better yet, get a 250+. The better your are at PT, the easier boot camp will be.

Don't be the dude showing up that falls out of runs and casn only do 3 pullups. You're INVITING the wrath of your drill instructors. Take initiative and get yourself that first class PFT.

Know your knowledge. Know your rank structure, JJDIDTIEBUCKLE, O-SMEAC, BAMCIS, learn about the M-16A2 rifle, learn some first aid. Do whatever to get ahead of the game in knowledge.

I gurantee you if you show up with a first class PFT (pretty much double digit pullups, 100 crunches and 23 minute 3 mile. Don't settle for running the stupid IST, run the PFT) and you have a pretty solid background in knowledge, you're 100% guaranteed to graduate in 13 weeks if you don't get hurt.

Seriously, just do it.

srinaldo86
09-08-08, 08:32 AM
Thank you for the sound advice Cpl.

davblay
09-08-08, 08:40 AM
A lot of you are WAY overthinking recruit training.

This is what you need to do for yourselves:

Get a first class PFT. Better yet, get a 250+. The better your are at PT, the easier boot camp will be.

Don't be the dude showing up that falls out of runs and casn only do 3 pullups. You're INVITING the wrath of your drill instructors. Take initiative and get yourself that first class PFT.

Know your knowledge. Know your rank structure, JJDIDTIEBUCKLE, O-SMEAC, BAMCIS, learn about the M-16A2 rifle, learn some first aid. Do whatever to get ahead of the game in knowledge.

I gurantee you if you show up with a first class PFT (pretty much double digit pullups, 100 crunches and 23 minute 3 mile. Don't settle for running the stupid IST, run the PFT) and you have a pretty solid background in knowledge, you're 100% guaranteed to graduate in 13 weeks if you don't get hurt.

Seriously, just do it.

This is what we try to teach in Poolee chat on sunday night. So any interested Poolee should be there for the sunday chat!

Dave

Garrett90
09-08-08, 10:33 AM
Wish I didn't have to work every Sunday night or I would be there. I get home at about 12 every Sunday night, so I get on and see the Chat thread highlighted, and I'm like....damnit. Lol

chrisf9028
09-08-08, 12:05 PM
I'm not a Marine by any standards, but I've been to recruit training and got dropped during first phase due to hernia and got sent home. I really agree with you on this subject. I over thought boot camp way too much and got myself so worried. Honestly it's only as bad as you make it out to be. Learning those things above puts you a few notches higher than the other recruits there. Honestly, there are some recruits there who don't know their left from right and can't do anything correctly. Learning these things will benefit you greatly. During boot camp your drill instructors may not act like it, but they know the recruits that are squared away with their knowledge. You will still get thrashed either way lol.

I read somewhere in this forum where one Marine stated that recruit training is not a death camp where only few survive, but a place where civilians are molded into Marines. It's tough but its really not as bad as us poolees make it out to be lol.

FutureBootLouie
09-08-08, 12:18 PM
just show up in shape, everything else will fall into place.

AL49BGN
09-08-08, 12:24 PM
just show up in shape, everything else will fall into place.
THEY ALSO HAVE TO ME MOTIVATED!BUT YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT RECRUIT TRAINING

Chumley
09-08-08, 01:15 PM
When I went to Boot I truly knew nothing. I got laid off from my first job, and joining Marine Corps was a spontaneous tactic which I adopted to get the dang SSgt Recruiter off my back who kept calling. :D I sure showed him!

I had not ever planned a military path and therefore had researched nothing. When I got to Boot, it took a few days to understand the term un-sat and nearly peed myself when I heard the term skivvy drawers used...both were firsts for me. I did just fine and figured it all out of course, but if I had had even 1/4 of the knowledge that some of today's poolies have it would have helped a lot. Even though a lot of the knowledge here is more than beginner shtuff, IMO it's never too early to begin appreciating USMC knowledge. Going to Boot with more knowledge than the next guy is not a dis-advantage. When they called for a Guide and Squad Leaders to volunteer, I didn't even know what they were. All in all, I don't disagree that you need to know very much, but it helps if you want to stand out.

SFi
C

CplKJSpevak
09-08-08, 02:36 PM
I'm not a Marine by any standards, but I've been to recruit training and got dropped during first phase due to hernia and got sent home. I really agree with you on this subject. I over thought boot camp way too much and got myself so worried. Honestly it's only as bad as you make it out to be. Learning those things above puts you a few notches higher than the other recruits there. Honestly, there are some recruits there who don't know their left from right and can't do anything correctly. Learning these things will benefit you greatly. During boot camp your drill instructors may not act like it, but they know the recruits that are squared away with their knowledge. You will still get thrashed either way lol.

I read somewhere in this forum where one Marine stated that recruit training is not a death camp where only few survive, but a place where civilians are molded into Marines. It's tough but its really not as bad as us poolees make it out to be lol.

Are you going back?

chrisf9028
09-08-08, 03:50 PM
I made a promise to myself as I was taking the bus off the Island that I would go back and earn what I set out to originally do there. Hell yes I am going back. I just hope the Marine Corps takes me back because I need a re-enlistment waiver and a Lasik waiver.

benw2200
09-08-08, 07:36 PM
I made a promise to myself as I was taking the bus off the Island that I would go back and earn what I set out to originally do there. Hell yes I am going back. I just hope the Marine Corps takes me back because I need a re-enlistment waiver and a Lasik waiver.

The lasik waver sucks.. you have to be 6 months post-op with no complications before you can even send your waiver packet up to MEPS for them to look at..

chrisf9028
09-08-08, 08:47 PM
not a problem..I was told I needed to wait at least 6 months just to enlist again. I basically got Lasik right when I came home; it was very spur of the moment. I don't regret it at all! I went from 20/-8.50 to 20/20 in one day. Technology is amazing!

Wyoming
09-08-08, 10:18 PM

So are you or are you not, a Poolee?

davblay
09-08-08, 10:21 PM

So you are not a Poolee eh? then why don't you change your avatar and status to "Marine Friend". If you are no in DEP, you are not a Poolee! Change it!

chrisf9028
09-08-08, 10:44 PM
I did a search and cannot figure out how to change it. Any help?

Chumley
09-09-08, 10:15 AM
I did a search and cannot figure out how to change it. Any help?

If you haven't figured it out by now, PM a moderator for assistance.
Good luck on your return to the Island!
C

benw2200
09-09-08, 03:51 PM
not a problem..I was told I needed to wait at least 6 months just to enlist again. I basically got Lasik right when I came home; it was very spur of the moment. I don't regret it at all! I went from 20/-8.50 to 20/20 in one day. Technology is amazing!

Agreed. I don't remember what I had before, but it was definitely not enough to pass the driving test. Now I'm 20/15 individually and 20/f-ing/10 together. It's awesome.. hopefully it'll help me out a bit on the rifle range haha.