PDA

View Full Version : Okinawa

1Marine4Life
09-08-08, 07:06 AM
Can anyone tell me what Oki is like? I never had the privilege of being stationed there so whats it like?

:usmc:

awbrown1462
09-08-08, 07:14 AM
was there in 73-74 and 76-77 partied alot when I was there.. and all the hotels where whor houses don't know if it is still like thatnor what ist like now

Enigmatic
09-09-08, 10:13 AM
I was there from '04 to '06. I was on Camp Foster. I personally had a blast. Of course, I was with a pretty chill unit at the time, H&S Battalion, MCB Butler. The island itself is beautiful, lots to do and great weather year-round. I'd go back in a second. Don't know if they still got the whole "red card" thing going on though, personally it didn't really affect me cause I was staying out in Okinawa City with my wife and daughter in a beautiful apartment by the beach. Gotta love that OHA and COLA!
Anyways, there are some negatives. The Liberty Card thing, if it's still in existence, is one. Also, since it's a foreign country pretty much the only Americans you'll ever see are either in the military, are dependents, or retired or seperated from the military. So if you're one of those who likes to get away from the military lifestyle and hang out with civilians while on libo, good luck with that. Also if you do anything stupid out in town and get arrested by the JPs you'll be pretty much on your own. There have been too many service members over there doing too many stupid things for them to just hand you back over to your command. I had a Lance Corporal (or is it Criminal?) over there who's probably still eating fish heads and rice in some jail in Naha for robbing a honcho.
But overall Oki is good to go. Make sure you get you some Coco's!! That stuff's like crack!

Javier1373
09-09-08, 11:29 PM
Camp Hansen. Humid and fun. NTA

jrhd97
09-10-08, 07:28 AM
Had a blast there. It was a great place for a final duty station. I was there in 96 - 97. Lots of partying. The scenery was beautiful and the beaches were great. Very clear water. A good place to learn to dive.

crate78
09-10-08, 09:35 PM
I spent a couple of weeks TAD at the Air Force base at Naha, once. Not really long enough to even get a feel for the country, but one thing I won't forget.

On our first or second night, before we got oriented, a GySgt, another SSgt, and I went out to procure a few beers. We went to the NCO Club and they wouldn't let us in because we weren't members. We went to the Enlisted Club and they wouldn't let us in because we were SNCO's. We finally found a snack bar down at the control tower that served beer.

crate

ecfree
09-10-08, 09:52 PM
'64 Camp Butler,them metal huts were like ovens.
Went to Camp Courtney,brand spankin new everything,but the small geedunk hut next to the slopshute.
Not bad liberty spots . Naha was okay,4 corners off limits haha..New Koza had the bars, little ville out side Camp Hanson was a dump,I forget the name.
I rate "The Rock" a 7.......:banana:

Mikewebe
09-10-08, 09:53 PM
Camp Hansen 4 months loved it had a cave that went from the base to the beach, waterfalls wayout. Diving and snorkeling, NTA sucked. But glad I went

Achped
09-11-08, 07:38 AM
Glad to see Hawaii isn't the only place like that Cpl Gonzo

The only white people here are military, prior military, or tourists.

It might as well be Japan...only with less WMs.. :(

SGT-JOHN-ADDY
09-11-08, 07:44 AM
I Was At Hansen From 03-04 With 9th E.s.b........i Was A Barrack Rat Most Of The Time.....and I Regret It So Much, I Didn't Get To See That Much Of Anything Why I Was There. I Was Married At The Time. I Hated It When I Was There Because I Was Away From My 6 Wk Old Little Girl But Looking Back On It I Miss It So Much....if U Ever Do Go Get Out Of The Barrack And Enjoy The Rock. It Is A Beautiful Island

MD8724
09-14-08, 03:46 AM
It's alright. The humidity stinks, and after a good 3 months, you can see everything it has to offer. The extra pay is nice though.

tripledog
09-14-08, 09:45 PM
I was there in 62 and screwed my head off. Dam them girls are nuts! If you dont like Oki, you must be gay.

darkgreen0311
09-14-08, 10:17 PM
I was there 83& 85 at Camp Hansen and good old Kinville. You gotta try the yakisoba and the chicken and shrimp fried rice over there. Alot of honey's over there. We were there from May to November and it's steamy hot over there. We also experienced typhoons both times over. You'll have a great time.

:marine:SEMPER FI 4 LIFE!!!

vmfn513
09-15-08, 12:55 PM
Spent two months there in 1945 and was glad toget away from the ISLAND. Went to China, Peking (now Beijing), much
better.

Jarhed87
09-15-08, 05:38 PM
Did (2) 6 month Dets on MCAS Futenma from '88-'90. I was attached to MALS-36, AVI-610. Survived an earthquake and numerous nights of running from the JP's. Had a blast partying on and around Kadena AFB.

;)

JRHD72
09-15-08, 07:41 PM
Okinawa 74-75. Oki was alright, but get on a float n see the world! BLT3/4

semperfiman
09-15-08, 07:50 PM
camp courtney 72-73 hq bn comm co wire plt 2511 field wireman great duty i would go back in a heartbeat

Efforts
09-18-08, 10:13 AM
Hansen. Girls & booze galore! Just don't do all the fun stuff in one sitting. You'll bore yourself for the remainder of your stay.

Chamorro
09-19-08, 06:52 AM
Camp Courtney was a nice quiet post in '68-'69. But had to ride cabs to & from BC St and Gate 2 St for the party spots. Sakahachi Alley was famous back then. Times have changed and so have the attitudes of the locals with the military. Take Care.

sparkie
09-19-08, 07:17 AM
Hansen. Girls & booze galore! Just don't do all the fun stuff in one sitting. You'll bore yourself for the remainder of your stay.
To look up the bananna lady,,,,,,

LanceCriminal
09-19-08, 07:25 AM
Camp Kinser, Foster, and Schwab....I don't like it that much out here. It is not that bad but it is just not the states either. Oh and CoCo's=Crack.....that stuff is amazing.

Efforts
09-21-08, 09:38 AM
Oh jeezus, don't bring her up!

BTW, is it still true that our units will officially abandon Okinawa starting '10?

JAGarland
09-21-08, 09:48 AM
MCAS Futenma 99-03

SGT7477
09-21-08, 12:38 PM
I was there 75-76 as a billeting NCO for officers, was by far my best duty station, oh the boiled eggs with or without,lmfao.

Jarhed87
09-23-08, 06:15 PM
Who remembers "Whisper Alley?" ;)

jrhd97
09-23-08, 07:14 PM
Never heard of it ...... nope ... not me :angel:

sparkie
09-23-08, 07:15 PM
I do remember Sakachie. And the bath house $5.00 specials.

SGT7477
09-23-08, 07:22 PM

Shhh,lol.:flag:

mcvet57103
09-23-08, 09:29 PM
75-76 "You suckie, F++kie GI?" "Short time ten dollah." Camp Henoko (now part of camp Schwab.) Henoko City was great! Kinville was an experience. SockaHotchie alley. BJs while setting at the bar were common. More happened in the booths if you had the cash. Don't buy the Nay-sons a drink, it will cost you triple what you pay for one for yourself. Condoms a must unless you enjoy pennecillin shots in the posterior. Was a wild and crazy 13 months. MoJo, bar fights, Philopino bands, Nago City, Yaka Soba, fried rice with catsup at 2 AM. WOW you really got the memories flowing. Thanks.

Javier1373
09-24-08, 02:07 AM

Too funny.....one of my PFC's in my squad came to me one day with a raspy @ss voice and told me he had eaten the banana 6 times. I told him to stop breathing on me and go see the doc......

mcvet57103
09-24-08, 07:35 AM
Too funny.....one of my PFC's in my squad came to me one day with a raspy @ss voice and told me he had eaten the banana 6 times. I told him to stop breathing on me and go see the doc......Never had the intestinal fortitude, or stupidity whichever to eat the bannana, but watched other Marines start piling dollar bills on the bar and the one who did got the money. Never laughed so hard and was grossed out more than that time. :banana:

SGT7477
09-24-08, 07:25 PM
75-76 "You suckie, F++kie GI?" "Short time ten dollah." Camp Henoko (now part of camp Schwab.) Henoko City was great! Kinville was an experience. SockaHotchie alley. BJs while setting at the bar were common. More happened in the booths if you had the cash. Don't buy the Nay-sons a drink, it will cost you triple what you pay for one for yourself. Condoms a must unless you enjoy pennecillin shots in the posterior. Was a wild and crazy 13 months. MoJo, bar fights, Philopino bands, Nago City, Yaka Soba, fried rice with catsup at 2 AM. WOW you really got the memories flowing. Thanks.

Marine did you ever hear of IHA Castle?:flag:

mcvet57103
09-24-08, 08:39 PM
Marine did you ever hear of IHA Castle?:flag:Nope just Shuri Castle, maybe you can enlighten me.

SGT7477
09-25-08, 07:36 PM
It was where the officers were housed between Camp Schwab and Camp Hansen that's where I was a billeting NCO for officers, golf course, club, swimming pool,lol.

mcvet57103
09-25-08, 10:00 PM
It was where the officers were housed between Camp Schwab and Camp Hansen that's where I was a billeting NCO for officers, golf course, club, swimming pool,lol.I was a Pvt-LCpl while on the rock. Didn't have the luxury of golf, O club, and the swinmming pool was the local beach at camp Schwab. On Google earth there is a picture of Camp Schwab from the Air. What used to be Camp Henoko is in the upper right part of Camp Schwab. Got some pics from the time on my profile page. SF

ErikHeiker
09-26-08, 01:01 AM
I was stationed there in 77-78. It was an OK place back then, but due to a few bad Marines, the people there now pretty much hate us. The last time I was there was in 2006 and I didn't even bother to go off base. There was an incident involving about three Marines raping a local almost ten years ago. I just never bothered going off base after that.

jrodie
10-02-08, 12:22 PM
You guys are insane, guess that's why you're Marines. Anyways, what's the easiest way of comunicating between the states and Oki? The boyfriend just got stationed over there....

TJR1070
10-02-08, 01:27 PM
Whisper Alley, Gate 2 and BC Streets, Tsunami Cove, The Cave (and of course cave punch), Mojo, Philipino girls, JP's, Kinville, the Kitimae Gate (back gate of Camp Foster), Bannana shows, Taco's across from Camp Courtney, the Airmen's club on Kadena and a ****load of other places with so many memories attached it makes me wish I could start over and do it again. I was stationed at Camp Courtney '89 - '90, it was by far the best first duty station I ever could have hoped for. Great times and great friends!

JRHD72
10-02-08, 04:05 PM
Whisper Alley, Gate 2 and BC Streets, Tsunami Cove, The Cave (and of course cave punch), Mojo, Philipino girls, JP's, Kinville, the Kitimae Gate (back gate of Camp Foster), Bannana shows, Taco's across from Camp Courtney, the Airmen's club on Kadena and a ****load of other places with so many memories attached it makes me wish I could start over and do it again. I was stationed at Camp Courtney '89 - '90, it was by far the best first duty station I ever could have hoped for. Great times and great friends!

TJR:
Man your talking about magsaisai st. alongapo P.I. Not oki!
don't forget **** river n the beauty queens on their canoes. Get any ting u want for some fresh fruit or a peso.

TJR1070
10-03-08, 09:37 AM
I am absolutely talking about Okinawa, although I have been to the PI also. In Kinville there was a bar called Eddie's Place that we all used to call the cave, their signature drink came in a silver punch bowl with as many straws as you wanted and was called "cave punch". The bar owners in Kinville when I was there used to import Philipino girls to work at the bars to provide us Marines with "moral" support.

I do remember **** river in Ologanapo and throwing pesos down and seeing the kids swimming in it dive down and come up with the peso in their teeth. A bag of M&M's would get you laid 30 seconds after you walked into the bar with them. They loved the M&M's.

One last OKI memory, anyone remember "the stage in Naha? It was actually called Naha Music and featured a revolving stage, several dozen Marines, a handful of naked girls and Japanese families dressed to the nine's. You would go in and sit close to the stage(which revolved) and girls would come out strip the first song and then dance for a couple more. Then they would bring out the fuzzy dice and whoever rolled the highest number had sex with the girl on the stage. Toward the back of the room were metal bleachers that used to have entire Japanese families watching, dressed up like they were going to a fancy party. I asked the owner one time why the Japanese came also, and he said some families brought their children there to explain and describe sex. It is definately a different society.

ForeverMarine
10-03-08, 10:28 AM
Guess I was at the only base with no women in oki called Camp Schwab hahaha jk.....It Humid as hell but beautiful......you either become a big time drinker or a big time PT Stud.....but either way its a great place in the corps....you will defintely learn how to march again lol

SGT7477
10-03-08, 03:53 PM
You guys are insane, guess that's why you're Marines. Anyways, what's the easiest way of comunicating between the states and Oki? The boyfriend just got stationed over there....

AHH Marines Do It Best.:evilgrin:

ronr418
10-04-08, 08:46 PM
The place sucks to high heaven. The people are always protested you at the gate, flying around in their goony chopper over the artillery, mortar, rifle and infantry assault courses, causing the ranges to be shut down until they are chased out of the area. But come pay day they are your best friend for the next 3 to 4 days then it's back to protesting you again. Semper Fi.... Do or Die.

ronr418
10-04-08, 08:51 PM
'64 Camp Butler,them metal huts were like ovens.
Went to Camp Courtney,brand spankin new everything,but the small geedunk hut next to the slopshute.
Not bad liberty spots . Naha was okay,4 corners off limits haha..New Koza had the bars, little ville out side Camp Hanson was a dump,I forget the name.
I rate "The Rock" a 7.......:banana:
We called it sinville but the name was Kinville I believe, was there from 1983 to 1984.

SgtHopperUSMC
10-04-08, 10:23 PM
Did (2) 6 month Dets on MCAS Futenma from '88-'90. I was attached to MALS-36, AVI-610. Survived an earthquake and numerous nights of running from the JP's. Had a blast partying on and around Kadena AFB.

;)I was ther at Camp Hansen during an earthquake. Thought the guy on the top bunk was shaking the rack. Then the rumbling started. Didnt last long but it was intense for a few seconds.:) 87 88 timeframe. C Co 3rd CEB. The water is beautiful. Great for diving and snorkleing.

mcvet57103
10-05-08, 10:52 AM
Best way to communicate is for your BF to get a lap top with WiFi. My step son spent 4 tours over-seas, 3 in Iraq, and one in Afghanistan. He was able to I.M. us where-ever he was stationed using WiFi. The internet is world wide and a lot cheaper and faster than when I was on the rock in 75-76. I had to make overseas phone calls (expensive, and usually had to wait in line), pay western union, or use snail mail with a 20 day turn around.

mcvet57103
10-05-08, 11:02 AM
Anybody remember Camp Hauge? It was a base made up mostly of field artillary batteries that closed shortly after I left it. I was an Ammo Tech for Iron Mike 3/12. Was there briefly in June 1975 then sent north to Camp Henoko for the next 12 months. Camp Henoko was a small base on the north edge of Camp Schwab that was made up almost exclusively of 2311 Ammunition Techs who worked in the Ammunition Dump.

ROTORORDY
10-05-08, 09:08 PM
Can anyone tell me what Oki is like? I never had the privilege of being stationed there so whats it like?

:usmc:

it now blows it looks like we are going to be on restriction again. but other thatn that its a pretty awesome place out here the. liberty policeis are sky high LCpl's and below cannot comsume had liqour anywere any more only beer. but yeah yeppy. oki sucks have funny its hell out here. :(

ForeverMarine
10-06-08, 05:47 PM
Yea last time I went Lcpls and below has cinderella liberty which is on base by midnight and can only have a six pack in there rooms........NCO's can stay out all night and have a 12 pack.....Marine Corps got strick over there bc the air force and army keep messing up....as in some tech sgt from the air force after 4 years of being stationed there finally got cuaght with underage girls there and not by consent...

But since the Marine Corps has high standards above all other branches....We get more strick.....but honestly its a good thing...I never really went on base and I had a blast since Camp Scwab has a bar on the beach and open til 2am.....So great place to drink and had awesome food....try the taco salad and cheese sticks and every sunday they have steaks....awesome.....

great place! way better than ship life and iraq! lol

ameriken
10-30-08, 02:40 PM
Camp Schwab 77 -78, Oki was ok, but for me the best part was getting off the island on float to Camp Fuji and Subic Bay.

I feel so so so bad for you new Marines who will never get to taste the beer and women of Subic Bay.

What memories...... :cool:

cplhiestand
01-28-09, 03:26 PM
I was at Hauge for 13 months in 69,70. A lot of hard work sending ammo to Nam. I was there when ASP1 in Danang went up and remember long hours trying to re-supply it. Off base was a lot of fun back then,out of control.

AAV Crewchief
01-28-09, 03:48 PM
Schwab Sept 82 to May 83....loved Oki. Too many jarheads couldn't act right so now we are having to leave. It's sad that such scum have made it into the Corps.

AAV Crewchief
01-28-09, 04:00 PM
Yea last time I went Lcpls and below has cinderella liberty which is on base by midnight and can only have a six pack in there rooms........NCO's can stay out all night and have a 12 pack.....Marine Corps got strick over there bc the air force and army keep messing up....as in some tech sgt from the air force after 4 years of being stationed there finally got cuaght with underage girls there and not by consent...

But since the Marine Corps has high standards above all other branches....We get more strick.....but honestly its a good thing...I never really went on base and I had a blast since Camp Scwab has a bar on the beach and open til 2am.....So great place to drink and had awesome food....try the taco salad and cheese sticks and every sunday they have steaks....awesome.....

great place! way better than ship life and iraq! lol

Members of the Corps actions against Okinawan citizens is the reason for the strictness. We've stepped on our cranks too many times by beating up cabbies, raping innocent and underage Okinawan girls, and just being asses in general by not showing those folks who were our HOSTS the respect that they were deserving of. How that scum got to be part of the Corps I will never know. Put the blame on who it rightly belongs. I don't think that the AF or ARMY is being asked to leave Okinawa like the Corps is being asked to do.

SGT7477
01-28-09, 07:28 PM
Okinawa was my best duty station, I agree with you AAV Crewchief, Semper FI.

redman1
01-29-09, 05:02 AM
Was there in 1970. Lived in metal Huts.
The day we landed they issued us M-16 right off the plane with helmets and vest and said the natives are rioting. We went downtown and they were there turning over jeeps and burning them. Didn't last long and I don't know what caused that.
After that I was only there two weeks on the way to Nam.
After that I was really wondering what Nam would be like. I had always heard good things about Okinawa.
Stayed on the base mostly and played slot machines.
Stood in line to make calls home using ham radios relaying messages through two or three people. Saying over. Then saying what you wanted to say and then saying over. It was different hearing someone saying everything you had to say and repeating it over and over. Times sure have changed!
Semper Fi Redman1

Jonboyi2001
03-25-09, 02:49 PM
I was there in 2002-2003 good olde intel math Dec to Sep is 6 months, funny I always thought it was 9. I was on Camp Schwab, but I played paintball every Sat on, I think it was Camp Hansen back kinda passed the football field, you can find it listed in the international field listing on most painball field web sites. Then the strip on Sat night. Gate 2 street was kinda generic but leave an air man passed out in the female head in just his skivveys as punishment for thinking he can out drink a Jarhead, it can get pretty interesting. The beach heads are the best, what you do is get one of your Sgts to secure you early and you take up a colection from your guys and go down to the beach head, there you buy cups, ice, keg, and tap (normaly they will give you a big trash can to put it all in) then you pour yourself a cold one and wait for the rest of the guys to show up with the burgers, dogs, charcoal...etc looking to collect on the their donation. Little hint; cut that Sgt in for free on the first keg to get him to let you go early, but after the first he pays like everyone else.

Riven37
03-25-09, 05:20 PM
Was there back in late 70 at Camp Schwab. Had some of the best scuba coral diving I've ever did.

Naha, Koza some of the best sweet cheeks (cough)....well you know lol

I use to eat the best burritos across from Camp Hanson on Sunday mornings in a little restaurant before descending into the bowls of the town for Sunday afternoon delight.

I did spend much time at Kadena where all the round eyes lived at least they were round eyes.

Overall, if it wasn't for all the prostitutes, booze, hell raising and bars the place would have sucked big time.

Japan was much better !!

thlgjr
03-27-09, 11:23 AM
I would have to say Camp foster is the best base located over there, its got a really nice club on base, so if you're lookin for something to do on the weekend thats what I recommend. I'm sure Oki is alot different now than it was when I was stationed there, and oh yeah Gate 2 is the place for great shopping, and they also have some decent clubs in that area,but stay away from the buy me drink me bars.

JWDevilDog
03-27-09, 11:40 AM

Get Skype on your computers. It's free computer to computer. You can also call landlines and cell phones from a computer with Skype, for a small fee.

JWDevilDog
03-27-09, 11:50 AM
I was ther at Camp Hansen during an earthquake. Thought the guy on the top bunk was shaking the rack. Then the rumbling started. Didnt last long but it was intense for a few seconds.:) 87 88 timeframe. C Co 3rd CEB. The water is beautiful. Great for diving and snorkleing.

I was on barracks duty (Camp Foster) last night, and apparently i lived through an earthquake. Marines came downstairs at 0500 and said "hey man, you feel that earthquake at about 0430?" I couldn't feel it at all. I thought they were pulling my leg, so I looked it up on the net. Here it is:

http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/recenteqsww/Quakes/us2009erb3.php

It woke a bunch of my buddies up, and they no sh*t felt it. I was sitting at the desk, reading the entire time, and I didn't feel sh*t. Not gonna lie, I'm a little disappointed...

Apache
03-27-09, 03:04 PM
couple (?) decades ago----
Nutin but party and screw
WOW!

cleerje
04-05-09, 05:33 PM
I was there from March 1983 to March 1984 at Camp Schwab, H&S Co. 1st Tracked Vehicle Battalion, Motor Transport. Lucked up (sorta) and was assigned to Special Services at Schwab. Enabled me to see a lot of the island. Spent a lot of time on Bar Street in Henoko and in Kinville. Used to fill up on tacos at this little taco shop in Henoko and then go drinking till 2am. Okinawa was alright for a about six months, but I was ready to leave after that. Got to meet the Happy Days crew when they came to the Rock in November 1983. Linda Purl was fine. Overall, Okinawa was a good experience.

echo3oscar1833
04-05-09, 10:48 PM
I bet old Oki was high security last night with with the whole North Korean Rocket Launch. Or at least I imagine it would have been:D

MD8724
04-05-09, 11:36 PM
I bet old Oki was high security last night with with the whole North Korean Rocket Launch. Or at least I imagine it would have been:D

No, to be honest it wasn't even mentioned.

rheinmark187
04-06-09, 01:06 PM
I liked it. It's a different world compared to Lejeune and Pendelton. TBH it appears that it's a backwater of the USMC and a lot of stuff went on there that was just bizarre. In my BARRACKS while we...

awbrown1462
04-06-09, 01:10 PM
Anybody remember Camp Hauge? It was a base made up mostly of field artillary batteries that closed shortly after I left it. I was an Ammo Tech for Iron Mike 3/12. Was there briefly in June 1975 then sent north to Camp Henoko for the next 12 months. Camp Henoko was a small base on the north edge of Camp Schwab that was made up almost exclusively of 2311 Ammunition Techs who worked in the Ammunition Dump.
it was my first duty station with F 2/12 73-74

TJR1070
04-06-09, 01:35 PM
Definately the best diving I have ever done and on Courtney it was a walk to the beach.

OutkastGurl
04-06-09, 01:42 PM
when are oki Marines transfering to Guam?

I want to be stationed in Okinawa

jcarter73
04-06-09, 02:15 PM
I was there from August 1994 to August 1995... Amazing place to be. SCUBA diving is really the best in the world. I've been diving all over the world, and nothing really compares to the water visability in some spots in the fall and winter it can exceed 200 feet. The food is great out in town, and the girls, well lets just say they are a lot of fun too...

MD8724
04-06-09, 04:09 PM
I have to say at the same time, going to Naha or here and there all the time can drain your money. So once you visit all the places, it wouldnt hurt to stay in your room every now and then. You can...

cleerje
04-06-09, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I burned through a lot of money with all the boozing and wenching. Wish I had saved some money, and I also wish I had re-upped when given the chance. But that would've meant staying on the island for a another year or more. Instead I went home and then realized I should have stayed in. Live and learn.

awbrown1462
04-06-09, 07:12 PM
went back in 76-77 to Futema we went to a sea wall for BQs and snorkeling used a old footlocker for a ice chest

GuitarNineteen
01-04-10, 11:58 PM
TJR:
Man your talking about magsaisai st. alongapo P.I. Not oki!
don't forget **** river n the beauty queens on their canoes. Get any ting u want for some fresh fruit or a peso.
Shh,my wife is a filipina,was there for 8 months waiting for the embassy,can't complain.Loved those bands.

Komenko
01-05-10, 01:10 AM
just don't go around saying anything negitive toward or about Budda! you'll end up drenched and others around you will be ****ed! lol also stay away from Charms in your MRE! thats a Myth everyone should know!

Sgtskiusmc
08-14-15, 08:28 PM
Just missed you, was in Wire Plt At Courtney, 74-75.

Sgtskiusmc
08-14-15, 08:31 PM
Camp Courtney was a nice quiet post in '68-'69. But had to ride cabs to & from BC St and Gate 2 St for the party spots. Sakahachi Alley was famous back then. Times have changed and so have the attitudes of the locals with the military. Take Care.

Was the exact same at Courtney, 74-75.

Citadel0602
08-15-15, 08:40 AM
I was the MAG-36 S-6 up until late 2013 on MCAS Futenma, prior to that I was an XO and 2ndLt with Marine Wing Communications-Squadron 18. Okinawa is AMAZING, you will absolutely love it (as long as you keep yourself out of trouble). Okinawa (right now) has a big problem with Spice (the psuedo-marijuana) as the illegal market for it out in town is very big. During my time in Okinawa I had to ADSEP 13 Marines (from E-2 to E-5) for Spice and drug use. Stay out of the "buy-me-drinkee" and "soap bars" because they are frequented by MANY PMO and officers and Marines / Sailors / Airmen are caught all the time.... Not really a good time to get caught because relations with the local Okinawan's and the US Military has hit an all time low (futenma has protests outside its main gate every day).... So as long as you keep out of trouble the island is amazing...food is amazing... and the Scuba Diving is AWESOME (just stay away from the box jellyfish) .... Get some CoCO's and take a Japanese language course... you will LOVE OKINAWA

mexbearlll
08-15-15, 10:00 PM
Anyone know the cost of a Table Dance/Lap Dance in Kinville lately ? S/F

angryplant
06-23-16, 11:57 PM
Was at Schwab both times I was there. I did a year with the 4th marines scout plt. in '89 and went with 3/7 in '93. I really enjoyed being there. Although I did party a lot, Schwab was far enough away from Kinville that I never got that much out of control. Best shape I ever was in. The island is beautiful, the locals were tolerant of us and the weather was mild. Spent a decent amount of time in Korea because of being there, and Korea was something special. Still my favorite country I ever went to. All time I spent in the corps, other than time spent in Okinawa, was spent around the Persian Gulf- which is why I remember Oki so fondly. All the posts about making the best of it are true. What I can say is, if you drink, don't drink too much, take in all you can there and keep your head on a swivel. More than likely you won't ever travel there again and you will regret it if you don't get a feel for the place other than the E-clubs and bar districts.

SgtMoe
07-06-16, 07:56 PM
I was there June/1980-1983 at Camp Foster and luv every minute of it....I'd go back if I could....A lot of training there if you want it....I enhanced my training the whole time I was there....I volunteer for everything and had a blast.....:evilgrin:

Mack3305
07-10-16, 12:10 PM
Was there a July 79 to June 1980. Yeah I got a month cut off The Rock. MASS-2 Futenma was my favorite Duty Station.
Except for the days down in the barracks through 6 typhoons.
Good thing I liked C Rations.

Tennessee Top
07-10-16, 09:54 PM
^^^Was there that same time (first tour). MWHS-1 Camp Foster/Butler area. Worked at the 1st MAW headquarters building (Wing Adjutant's shop) Camp Zukeran on the hill near the main PX.