PDA

View Full Version : OCS applicant in need of additional info

vang0605
09-07-08, 08:46 PM
I met with the local OSO and we filled out a rough application to OCS (the 10 week PLC). Do any of you have any advice on what I can do to make my application more attractive to the selection board? My recruiter said that he thought I had a fair shot at getting selected, but I'm worried about the PFT. Right now, I'm in terrible shape. I gained the freshman 15 and then some over the years in college. I am 5'9" and weigh between 185-190lbs. I use to weigh 155lbs when I was in much better shape. Will the initial PFT administered by the OSO be used to disqualify my application or just be used to create a workout plan for me? I have received conflicting info from a few sources (he said one thing, but the application said another). Thanks for any help that you can provide, and I tried to add in as much information as possible for my profile (and couldn't find anything for OCS under the search option).

FutureBootLouie
09-07-08, 09:02 PM
Honestly, the friggin PFT pretty much counts for like 90% of your selection package.

Its no exaggeration. It feels like all the selection board members look at is your PFT score, and everything else (GPA, recommendation letters, extra curricular activities etc.) are all just icing on the cake.

And I guess rightfully so.

OCS is ALL PHYSICAL. I contracted with a 260 PFT and when I shipped I only had a 240 or so (bulked up too much in the weight room, killed my pullups and run time)

and OCS was friggin hard as hell for me. Struggling at PT in OCS is the single most demoralizing thing in the world. It will not only affect your PT evaluation (worth 25% of your grade), it will affect your leadership as well (its hard to have a command presence in front of your peers when you're dying on the PT events)

get your PFT up.

And check out www.marineocs.com (http://www.marineocs.com)

I graduated PLC-Combined this summer, commissioning in May, just so you know I'm not talking out of my rear end hole.

FutureBootLouie
09-07-08, 09:04 PM
I met with the local OSO and we filled out a rough application to OCS (the 10 week PLC). Do any of you have any advice on what I can do to make my application more attractive to the selection board? My recruiter said that he thought I had a fair shot at getting selected, but I'm worried about the PFT. Right now, I'm in terrible shape. I gained the freshman 15 and then some over the years in college. I am 5'9" and weigh between 185-190lbs. I use to weigh 155lbs when I was in much better shape. Will the initial PFT administered by the OSO be used to disqualify my application or just be used to create a workout plan for me? I have received conflicting info from a few sources (he said one thing, but the application said another). Thanks for any help that you can provide, and I tried to add in as much information as possible for my profile (and couldn't find anything for OCS under the search option).

They're not going to create a workout plan for you. You're not an enlisted poolee. They're not going to babysit you and make sure you're in shape. You're an aspiring Marine Corps Officer. It is up to you to make sure you get in the shape you need to be in on your own.

Check out this site too

www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com)

might give you some PT ideas.

5'9 185 lbs isn't bad...as long as we're talking muscle and not fat.

vang0605
09-07-08, 10:17 PM
I'll contact the OSO to make sure we're on the same page. He has a lot to do so I don't want to waste too much of his time if I won't qualify with my current PFT score for OCS. I just have to stick with the PT until I can qualify. Thanks for the information.