PDA

View Full Version : PT just Kicked my A**

Aries41886
09-07-08, 05:31 PM
Marines, I have a question about my habits that I have. Now I did A PT with my sergeant and fellow Poolees the other day that ran us over a draw bridge several times, and then we marched and shouted cadences, before hand we did several exercises ( dirty dogs, sun gods, 1,2,3 pushups, etc. ) beforehand. My sergeant tells me that this is a harder PT than anything we would face the first month of Parris Island, so if we can master it, we will be superb at bootcamp.

My problem was, I damn near had a heat stroke. I am 5'7" , 130 lbs. i can lift my own weight, and do several pull-ups, and pushups. Upper-body is not my problem. However, the running is what smoked me.
My water intake is not all that great. How Much water should I drink the day before I PT like this again so i don't fall out? I had drank a little alcohol the night before as well, which was idiotic, and i'll never pull that again. Infact, my Sergeant knew i had drank the night before and said " Well, you gonna sweat -AAAALLL- that fun stuff out!!"
Indeed , I did :P
And Now onto the Nicotine, I quit smoking cigarettes, and resorted to Dipping. If I manage to quit dipping, and thereby quit nicotine completely... Will it yield much better, and quicker results for my physical prospects? If not, Then I wont invest the effort to quit until Bootcamp.
I've already changed my diet from fast foods, to lean meats, lots of protein and veggies, But, As to the water and Nicotine, I would appreciate an answer.

YutYut
09-07-08, 07:45 PM
It's never a bad idea to cut the smoking/dipping out of your life. If nothing else, you'll probably live longer (note: I smoke...tsk tsk). You should be drinking water often enough to have clear p*ss. I don't mean yellow-but-see-through...I mean freakin clear. You'll probably sweat a lot, but that's a good thing. That's your body cooling you down.

I don't know if dip does anything to your running. Obviously, smoking cuts your lung capacity.

Brewer0311
09-07-08, 07:48 PM
It's never a bad idea to cut the smoking/dipping out of your life. If nothing else, you'll probably live longer (note: I smoke...tsk tsk). You should be drinking water often enough to have clear p*ss. I don't mean yellow-but-see-through...I mean freakin clear. You'll probably sweat a lot, but that's a good thing. That's your body cooling you down.

I don't know if dip does anything to your running. Obviously, smoking cuts your lung capacity.

Dehydrates you more.

Aries41886
09-07-08, 08:27 PM
I was hoping you wouldnt say that about the Dip....
Ugh. This really is a life style change.
well, I guess theres no way to go but to " Suck it up buttercup"
I will do my best to quit the Nicotine.

thank you.

Pete0331
09-08-08, 02:27 AM
Marines, I have a question about my habits that I have. Now I did A PT with my sergeant and fellow Poolees the other day that ran us over a draw bridge several times, and then we marched and shouted cadences, before hand we did several exercises ( dirty dogs, sun gods, 1,2,3 pushups, etc. ) beforehand. My sergeant tells me that this is a harder PT than anything we would face the first month of Parris Island, so if we can master it, we will be superb at bootcamp.

My problem was, I damn near had a heat stroke. I am 5'7" , 130 lbs. i can lift my own weight, and do several pull-ups, and pushups. Upper-body is not my problem. However, the running is what smoked me.
My water intake is not all that great. How Much water should I drink the day before I PT like this again so i don't fall out? I had drank a little alcohol the night before as well, which was idiotic, and i'll never pull that again. Infact, my Sergeant knew i had drank the night before and said " Well, you gonna sweat -AAAALLL- that fun stuff out!!"
Indeed , I did :P
And Now onto the Nicotine, I quit smoking cigarettes, and resorted to Dipping. If I manage to quit dipping, and thereby quit nicotine completely... Will it yield much better, and quicker results for my physical prospects? If not, Then I wont invest the effort to quit until Bootcamp.
I've already changed my diet from fast foods, to lean meats, lots of protein and veggies, But, As to the water and Nicotine, I would appreciate an answer.

You should drink enough water so that the night before PT your **** is ALMOST clear. Drink plain purified water. Not the fortified crap and not the distilled stuff. The fortified stuff has to many extra chemicals. The distilled stuff will flush the minerals from your body. A very bad thing. After PT drink Gatorade, but not to much as you are only trying to get your acid/base sync back not overwhelm it with sugar.
Be sure you eat something before you PT also.

I won't go into all the benefits of not using tobacco, but yes, not dipping will help. It is less of a strain on your cardiovascular system when you quit.
Take it from someone who recently quit.

And they are called Marine Corps pushups, not 1-2-3 pushups.

JordanB
09-08-08, 02:42 AM
Yeah dont be afraid of the pain, an old wrestling coach of mine once told us "If a work out dosent make you feel like ****ting your pants then you're probably not pushing yourself hard enough." Um, mabey not the best advice but definately kick the nic before bootcamp if you can, you'll make it easier on yourself.

fjmas1976
09-08-08, 08:56 AM
As far as water and how much to drink, everyone has a different answer/opinion. You need AT LEAST eight glasses a day. But, if you are active and performing intensive PT, you need one ounce of water for every pound you weigh (130 lbs = 130 ounces water or a little more than a gallon).

Quit all nicotine and caffeine now. That will make the first days of Recruit Training easier.:usmc: