PDA

View Full Version : See you all in 3 months

joshtky
09-07-08, 05:56 AM
I am heading to Louisville, KY MEPS at ten hundred. then off to the Island for 3 months. I can't wait, swore in back on may 31st, and my time is finally here. i will do this forum, and the state of Kentucky proud. i am probably one of the oldest poolees to go / to be on this forum. I just turned 26 years young on July 1st. I may not be as young and fit as these 17-18 year old lil whippersnappers, but I am every bit as intelligent and mature as they are. my college degree will help me be a e-2 Pfc during boot. Ya'll take care of http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=54758 for me while I'm gone... I dont want any Jodys around her, lol. Keep her company, and help her learn about this site and the way of the Marine Corps. I hope to earn The Title and receive my Eagle Globe and Anchor soon.

Poolee Thompson

sparkie
09-07-08, 06:00 AM
Good luck, old man, do yourself proud. {And thanks for the info]. Signed: Jody

yellowwing
09-07-08, 07:36 AM
Good to go Josh! Never Quit!

Wyoming
09-07-08, 08:26 AM
Coutney, when you read this, gimmie a PM.;)

PinkCowgirl
09-07-08, 09:18 AM
I miss him already...

Iseethelight
09-07-08, 09:39 AM
Go kick ass. Just remember, more will be expected of you from both fellow recruits and instructors because of your age.

joshtky
09-07-08, 05:07 PM
on hotel wifi via computers here in the entertainment room part of the holding area .. just checking in

joshtky
09-07-08, 05:16 PM
Go kick ass. Just remember, more will be expected of you from both fellow recruits and instructors because of your age.

yes sir, fully agreed :thumbup:

joshtky
09-07-08, 05:33 PM
the guy who runs the military area of our hotel for us MEPS people, just said "ok, its been a few hours, its late enough" and pulled Full Metal Jacket dvd outta his desk, and said everyone likes to see R. Lee Ermey the night before they ship

awesome :)

CHOPPER7199
09-07-08, 06:08 PM
Go Getter Done, Young One. Good Luck

PinkCowgirl
09-07-08, 09:00 PM
*sigh* So...he's going to call me one last time. This will be our THIRD good-bye. I think it's almost worse than having just one!!!

And I has some questions...who wants to let me pick their brain?? :)

quillhill
09-07-08, 09:14 PM
Josh, I know you may not get to see this before you hit the yellow footprints, but you know that I totally support your quest to become a Marine.

I know that you will make me proud.

Of course, I can't give you any advice, everything you can learn you've picked up here, from your recruiter, the Poolee functions and the other stuff you've done to get ready.

Tomorrow I turn 30 and you will be on Parris Island. I think that's about the best birthday I could get.

I'll talk to you in three months. Now go get some.

FutureBootLouie
09-07-08, 09:16 PM
*sigh* So...he's going to call me one last time. This will be our THIRD good-bye. I think it's almost worse than having just one!!!

And I has some questions...who wants to let me pick their brain?? :)

ask away.

Krystal8226
09-09-08, 09:54 AM
the guy who runs the military area of our hotel for us MEPS people, just said "ok, its been a few hours, its late enough" and pulled Full Metal Jacket dvd outta his desk, and said everyone likes to see R. Lee Ermey the night before they ship

awesome :)
That's funny b/c I watched it the night before I went to bootcamp. Not intentionally though.lol. My dad happened to be watching it that night.

quillhill
11-28-08, 10:11 AM
I thought I'd post an update since I got an e-mail from his mom last week.
Josh has suffered a hip injury and has been in MRP since last Saturday (Nov. 22). His mom initially told me that he would be laid up recovering from the injury (I don't have exact details at this point) for 13 days and would then resume training. He was slated to graduate with Delta Co PLT 1095 on Dec. 5 (next Friday) but it is unknown when he will resume his training.
He called his mom yesterday and she said Josh is sounding good. He is on crutches and it may be four to eight weeks of healing. Josh is not going to be able to put any weight on the hip for a while.
He also got to pass out the power bars his mom and I sent and his mom said he sounded pleased about that.
I don't know much about life in MRP. I'm waiting to get a letter from him about the whole situation. In the meantime I've been trying to get his cell phone re-activated but that's another story for another time.
So the hope is Josh will pick up with another company/platoon when he's better ... he stopped at T59.
I'll keep y'all posted.

yellowwing
11-28-08, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the update. Tell him we are wishing him a speedy recovery, and Never Quit!

HomefrontHeroes
12-05-08, 04:21 PM
I know I am not a poolee so I should not be posting but I got a letter from Josh today. He said he will probably be graduating around Feb or March now. He finally saw the doctor before the final PFT and the crucible as it had been hurting for weeks. The doctors said he should heal and be fine if he stays off his leg.

He sounded down but also sounded like he was ok. I am writing to him and trying to help keep his spirits up. Lets think positive, he will be a Marine by February :)

"It sucks, but as long as I will be a Marine, that's all that matters" quoting Josh.

quillhill
12-05-08, 04:28 PM
I've been writing Josh as well the entire time he's been on the Island. He's got quite a few people he's writing from what I understand -- me, his mom, and many other friends and family.

I am also trying to keep his spirits up and his mom and I have teamed up on sending him things like stamps, magazines, books and other items. I've sent our four or five letters this week.

Having done some research this week on his injury, a femoral neck fracture, it is totally realistic that he could be a Marine by February -- it's a two to three month recovery time depending on various factors. My thinking looking at the graduation dates would be the earliest realistic pick up could be mid-January with Bravo Co and graduate Jan. 30. I told him that in the letter I wrote today because it can't hurt to have a goal.

He's been on crutches almost three weeks now so I would imagine he'll be off them by this time next week at the earliest.

With two weeks left of training, basically the final PFT, Crucible, Marine Week and graduation I would imagine the Marine Corps would want to see him finish.

I am sure his letters will continue to get better.

quillhill
01-15-09, 02:06 PM
OK. So I was a little optimistic a month ago. Heh. Josh is getting weaned off the crutches now as it took longer for him to be able to put weight on his injured hip than I thought it would. But he is healing up, it looks like he will not need surgery, and if all goes well he will be back in training by the end of February (about six weeks from the day he wrote the letter) according to the last letter his mom got earlier this week.

He's been doing physical therapy as well as getting in the pool and reading a lot. I've sent him five Marine Corps books at this point and a bunch of magazines as well as writing as many letters as I can. He seems to be determined to get back into training and finish what he started so I'm pleased about that.

His mom and little bro visited him on New Year's Day. She sent me a few photos. I'm going to post one ... if it's not OK to have it up, please feel free to remove it, mods.

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g100/quillhill/P1010001.jpg

By the he graduates he'll have spent a good six months on the Island. But what's a little detour in life? Personally I feel like it's made him a stronger and better person and hopefully it'll be all the sweeter for him when he does earn the Title.

Anyway, just thought everyone would like an update on RCT Josh T.

bstinnett09
01-16-09, 10:54 PM
I didn't know him before he shipped, but it sounds like he's putting up one hell of a fight! It's great that he has family and friends like you to keep him Moto to get off the island with the Title.

quillhill
02-14-09, 11:50 AM
Last update from me. Josh made the call yesterday to his family that he is returning to training on Monday, Feb. 16, and will graduate March 6. I also got a letter from him yesterday and he seems in good spirits, ready to get out there, finish recruit training and finally earn the title.
Hopefully next time he'll be doing the update himself. :)

joshtky
08-18-09, 12:20 PM
well i'm finally home. went to Parris Island on 080908, got home 090702 <br />
<br />
I spent 10 months n a 3 months bootcamp, injured my right hip 3 diff times, and got med discharged sent home with 30 %...

Cressler
08-18-09, 12:57 PM
wow that sucks

joshtky
08-18-09, 01:11 PM
just found this thread about me some too...lol

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75059