PDA

View Full Version : Would this affect my MOS?

Calvin09
09-06-08, 04:48 PM
In my senior year I plan to go to the EHOVE Carreer Center close to my town. At the school that I go to and other schools in the area, kids can choose to go to EHOVE for thier junior or senior years. What it is, is that you can take one of several of these courses to get training for a certain job in the workforce. Stuff like diesel tech, auto body, all kinds of stuff. I plan to go into the firefighter course for my senior year (we do have our classes, we take only two of our classes each quarter) so that I don't have to put up with school for the majority of the year and I can do something interesting for my last year.

Anyway, I want to be in the Infantry when I join, and I was just wondering if taking the firefighter course would in any way affect what my MOS would be. Like, would the recruiter say that since I took the firefighter course that means I would be qualified to be a firefighter and therefore not be able to get into the Infantry. Just something that has been bugging me. I await any replies.

fjmas1976
09-06-08, 04:59 PM
In my senior year I plan to go to the EHOVE Carreer Center close to my town. At the school that I go to and other schools in the area, kids can choose to go to EHOVE for thier junior or senior years. What it is, is that you can take one of several of these courses to get training for a certain job in the workforce. Stuff like diesel tech, auto body, all kinds of stuff. I plan to go into the firefighter course for my senior year (we do have our classes, we take only two of our classes each quarter) so that I don't have to put up with school for the majority of the year and I can do something interesting for my last year.

Anyway, I want to be in the Infantry when I join, and I was just wondering if taking the firefighter course would in any way affect what my MOS would be. Like, would the recruiter say that since I took the firefighter course that means I would be qualified to be a firefighter and therefore not be able to get into the Infantry. Just something that has been bugging me. I await any replies.
Do they offer classes at this school on correct grammar and usage of the English language?:evilgrin:

BR34
09-06-08, 05:09 PM
Calvin, as long as you meet the requirements you may choose ANY MOS you want (as long as there are spots available). The recruiter will not make you take a job you don't want to take.

Masiello, he spelled 2 words wrong, in two paragraphs. Are you here to spell check, or to help these poolees?

fjmas1976
09-06-08, 05:43 PM
Part of that help is learning attention to detail. I'm all for helping them in any way I can. Check your PM for a message:usmc:

FutureBootLouie
09-06-08, 08:05 PM

bullcrap

if you want Infantry, you can get infantry. Make sure you have it in your contract.

As for the spelling, I've seen MUCH worse from MARINES on this site.

jrhd97
09-06-08, 08:57 PM
As long as this course of action does not change you receiving a high school diplomat. If it were to earn you a GED instead, it will affect your MOS and your enlistment.
You can get any MOS you test high enough for, as long as it isn't filled already.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-06-08, 09:08 PM
I was expecting to see the question end like this:

"Since I'll be a firefighter, does this mean the Marine Corps will make sure I get that MOS if I sign up for that field?" I must say I am pretty surprised.

Anyway, the answer is no. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Being a firefighter in the Marine Corps is something many people want to do, and are turned away. They aren't going to make you do it if it isn't what you're wanting to do.

cw2533
09-30-08, 12:42 PM
I served with some of the finest Marines that were 0300. I say go for it. Semper Fi as we used to say in the old Corps. P.S. When I was fighting in Nam I never once had a VC correct my english.

OB MSG
09-30-08, 12:58 PM
My two cents.

Calvin08: Pay attention to detail. Re-read what you type before you post it, you will be heckled for it. (As you can see.) Even after you post, read your post again and use the edit button if you need to. You have 5 minutes for corrections. (That goes for any poster on here.)

Secondly: No, you will be able to choose what MOS you want, as long as your scores meet the requirement(s) and there are slots. (As has been said and beaten into the ground.)

AL49BGN
09-30-08, 01:53 PM
Do they offer classes at this school on correct grammar and usage of the English language?:evilgrin:
I can say I have mispelled a word or two.

JordanB
10-03-08, 04:02 AM
Heres some good advice: Dont listen to recruiters! The only time you have the slightest pull on what the Corps does with you is when you enlist and if you deside to re-up. Tell him exactly what you want (in your case active duty infantry 03xx) and if he tells you to go open contract, or choose several back up mos's or that there isnt any more grunt contracts, tell him you're not signing up till there are. Worst case scenario go to another recruiting station or wait till a contract opens up, it will.

FutureBootLouie
10-03-08, 08:12 AM
Heres some good advice: Dont listen to recruiters! The only time you have the slightest pull on what the Corps does with you is when you enlist and if you deside to re-up. Tell him exactly what you want (in your case active duty infantry 03xx) and if he tells you to go open contract, or choose several back up mos's or that there isnt any more grunt contracts, tell him you're not signing up till there are. Worst case scenario go to another recruiting station or wait till a contract opens up, it will.

Exactly.