PDA

View Full Version : What is the cruciable?

Pattyq
09-04-08, 07:08 AM
I have heard mention of this event that happens I beleive the last week of the recurits training. We went to a marine corp dinner before my son left and they had a film on but honestly I wasn't paying much attention. Can anyone tell me what exactly the cruciable is?

MotherGoose
09-04-08, 07:28 AM
I believe it is a 48 hour test/field exercise where the recruits put all of the knowledge they have learned to use. They don't get much sleep or food and have to use teamwork, brains, and muscle to overcome challenges put forth in front of them.

When I was in boot camp they didn't have the Crucible yet, so I can only tell you what I have heard/read about it. You can google it or yahoo it, you'll get lots of info on that.

OB MSG
09-04-08, 08:35 AM
I went through the Crucible in 1998. It was a 54 hour field exercise to test a recruits ability to think under stress; deal with little sleep, little food and still get the job done. It starts with a...

Pattyq
09-04-08, 08:37 AM
I will not tell him a thing. Thanks for the info

MotoDad
05-20-09, 10:19 AM
Excellent post, OB MSG!!! <br />
<br />
Too many parents seem to think they have to know EVERY SINGLE DETAIL of what there child will be experiencing BEFORE THEIR NEW MARINE has a chance to experience it and...

Rocky C
05-20-09, 10:26 AM
Excellent post, OB MSG!!!

Too many parents seem to think they have to know EVERY SINGLE DETAIL of what there child will be experiencing BEFORE THEIR NEW MARINE has a chance to experience it and excitedly tell them all about it!!! :thumbdown

Talk about "stealing their thunder!" :mad:

MotoDad,
Your Son has been in Boot Camp for 11 days now I think???
Let us know when you get your first letter if you would.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

MotoDad
05-20-09, 11:32 AM
MotoDad,
Your Son has been in Boot Camp for 11 days now I think???
Let us know when you get your first letter if you would.
Semper Fi,
Rocky

Hi Rocky,

Yes, he has been at Boot for 11 days.....his Mom just got her first letter from him..... (we've been divorced for many years)....she will be fax'ing it to me so I can read it....all is well so far!

I remember back in my Boot Camp days (1978-1982, Air Force active duty), I had very little time at night to write home....so I don't want him to think he has to write separate letters to BOTH of us! :D

Take care,

MotoDad

Rocky C
05-20-09, 11:40 AM
Thank you MotoDad,
I am interested in following up since your other thread on your Sons Quest to become A Recon Marine.
Semper Fi,
Rocky Out.

MotoDad
05-20-09, 12:01 PM
Rocky,

That is very kind of you to show interest in my son's progress to becoming an 0321......

I'll be sure to update as time goes on....

Unfortunately, I failed to "fill-out my profile" adequately before I began posting yesterday (I just joined leatherneck.com a day or two ago).....

As a result, ALL of my prior posts from yesterday were deleted by the moderator.....very disappointing....I had put a lot of time into writing that particular post that you mentioned.....

Oh well.....live and learn, I guess!

MotoDad

DAMNPROUD
05-20-09, 01:44 PM
motodad guess i was one of those parents.still am. cant see it as stealing their thunder though the only imfo you get is what they write to you.
as far as recon goes thats what they all want,(take a look at the poolee section)and i truly hope your son makes it. to me its kinda like going to the nfl from high school.
hope everything goes well for your son

damnproud

ps. one of the hardest things for me ,when my son was in boot.we got a letter saying he was as sick as he had everbeen in his life but wouldnt go see the doc.a week went by before the next letter nothing was mentioned about being sick in that one.lol still was a long week though

Supersquishy
05-20-09, 02:08 PM
It sucked, we got up at 2 am or 5 , humped I can't remember how many miles in the cold rain, set up in the dark, did I mention the cold rain. Performed several low crawls through mud and 1/4 inch ice breaking on top of the ice cold water(2 feet). Changed over in two old junk helicopter fuselages(are those still there?) Some moron ate all his MRE(1) in one sitting and was starving the rest of the time...LOL..low crawled again with my rifle shooting blanks at the fake enemy...can't remember the rest....Good stuff though, I'd do it agian. Earned my EGA, Ohh the warriors breakfast was excellent.

MotoDad
05-20-09, 02:09 PM
motodad guess i was one of those parents.still am. cant see it as stealing their thunder though the only imfo you get is what they write to you.
as far as recon goes thats what they all want,(take a look at the poolee section)and i truly hope your son makes it. to me its kinda like going to the nfl from high school.
hope everything goes well for your son

damnproud

ps. one of the hardest things for me ,when my son was in boot.we got a letter saying he was as sick as he had everbeen in his life but wouldnt go see the doc.a week went by before the next letter nothing was mentioned about being sick in that one.lol still was a long week though

damnproud,

Well, you have a good point there, my friend.....I must admit I researched every piece of internet info available about Reconnaissance there was!

I know exactly what you mean about "every poolee in the world wants Recon" or Scout/Sniper! Heck, you would almost think they were the only (2) jobs in the Marine Corps! :D

I even called and spoke directly with one of the NCO's at the Recon Course at Camp Pendleton to get the REAL skinny on what it takes to make it through.....when I told him my son's PFT scores and swimming times/ability, he saw no reason why he shoudn't be able to make it IF he was mentally tough, also.....time will tell!!!!

Dang, having a sick son in Boot Camp would worry me big-time, also!

Take care, bud....

MotoDad