PDA

View Full Version : Iwo Jima vet honored by Marine group

thedrifter
09-04-08, 06:37 AM
Iwo Jima vet honored by Marine group

By Lydia McCoy
Originally published 02:01 a.m., September 4, 2008
Updated 02:01 a.m., September 4, 2008

Jim Bruce knew his number was coming up and that he would be drafted into the military.

But he wanted to be a Marine, so he went to the draft board and told it as much. Bruce and several other men went to Indianapolis to enlist.

"I just always thought a lot of the Marine Corps. It was in my heart that I wanted to be a Marine, and I loved their uniforms, too," said the now 93-year-old. "If I hadn't have gotten hurt, I would have still been a Marine and retired from the Marine Corps."

Bruce's injury occurred on Feb. 19, 1945 — a day Bruce will never forget.

"It was the first day that we went into Iwo Jima. We had to run a great big high hill ... you couldn't hardly go up this hill," he recalled. "There were five of us going up. I had a telephone in my hand and the other guys had the wire. We were going down to the foot of Mount Suribachi to put our phone in there. So we got almost to the bottom of that Mount Surbachi, they opened on us with a machine gun."

Bruce and the other men got into a foxhole, but a mortar shell was dropped in on them. Several of the men died, and Bruce lost 18 inches of his right leg and is paralyzed from the hip down.

He also was believed to be dead because when the shell hit, he ripped all his clothes and identification off himself.

"I don't think too much about it, but sometimes I do," he said. "It was a horrible experience to go through, but yet again, somebody had to do it. I guess I was one of the Marines that got in on it. We were in the first group that went in on that island, and I'll never forget it."

On Wednesday, Bruce was surprised when members of the River Cities Marine Corps League Detachment 1090 honored him at his home.

Sparky Perrette, commandant of the organization, said they wanted to recognize Bruce at their last meeting, but he was unable to attend.

"I feel a lot for this man," Perrette said. "It's time we honor our heroes ... What Jim has done deserves recognition. He's a wonderful guy. I can't say enough about him."

Bruce completely was surprised by the people greeted him at his door on Wednesday.

As each member shook his hand, Bruce simply said: "God bless you, and thank you for doing this for me."

Ellie