PDA

View Full Version : Marines, I need your support!

thiscalling
09-03-08, 09:09 PM
Hello all,

1.5 years i've known that USMC was exactly what I want in life. And ever since my parents have known, they've shot it down. I'll be so moto after a PT and my parents will comment on me "dying for the oil companies". I understand that of course it is my decision in the end and not theirs. What i'm really asking is for reassurance. A couple thoughts on what the Corps has done for you and your experiences would help this soon to be enlisted very much.

Thank you all for everything you have done!

Mikewebe
09-03-08, 09:11 PM
Look at how long ago some of these guys on here served and how well they remember it. Just take that in for now. Its more than a community its a Family

FutureBootLouie
09-03-08, 09:26 PM
Hello all,

1.5 years i've known that USMC was exactly what I want in life. And ever since my parents have known, they've shot it down. I'll be so moto after a PT and my parents will comment on me "dying for the oil companies". I understand that of course it is my decision in the end and not theirs. What i'm really asking is for reassurance. A couple thoughts on what the Corps has done for you and your experiences would help this soon to be enlisted very much.

Thank you all for everything you have done!

I joined because I believe the United States fights war thats are morally justifiable. The day I cease to believe that is the day that I'm done with the US military.

I don't know the reasons we went to Iraq. Maybe only George Bush does. But I do believe that we have the intention to create a better life for the Iraqi people, despite having self serving motives as well, and we got rid of one of the most genocidal dictators in recent history.

When we fight, we hold the moral high school. The laws of war are strictly enforced even when the enemy does not abide by the same rules. We treat (for the most part, and if I EVER see somebody do otherwise, I would have their butt punished or respectfully correct them depending on their rank) our enemies according to rights they deserve under the Third Geneva Conventions, even if they don't treat our captives the same.

I believe in America, I believe the world is a safer place with America as a Super power, and I believe that in general Americans, and American soldiers and Marines are compassionate people.

Hence I fight.

If I believed we were fighting for some oil tycoon, trust me, I'd go UA even if they put me in the brig.

It all rests on - what do you believe? Make your decision accordingly. It won't be an easy decision to make.

Marine84
09-03-08, 10:37 PM
Look at how long ago some of these guys on here served and how well they remember it. Just take that in for now. Its more than a community its a Family

We had one here for a while before he died - Mr Cobb was like 80+ and he still remembered.

Look at sparkie, zulu, JACK, bigal, phantom, Ed (just to name a few).............look how old THEY are ;) and they remember!.

Honey, do a search for the other 20 threads that tell you ways to deal with the parental units.

Mikewebe
09-03-08, 10:43 PM
Thank ya Ma'am

jarheadlady
09-04-08, 02:13 AM
What i'm really asking is for reassurance.

I wont reassure you, I will tell you to reassure yourself. If it is what you want and you are worthy, then you will earn it. If you arent, you wont. Its pretty simple really. Reassurance is for the little league baseball coach telling his losing team they can do it. I'll tell you this much, I wanted it, I got it.

WKranz
09-04-08, 02:16 AM
The Marine Corps gave me independence from my parents, thats for damn sure.

If they don't support you, then they aren't doing their job as parents. I bet when they figure out that it truly is happening, they'll shut up about it.

My parents are real liberal, anti-war etcetera, but they love their son and support the fact that he put his mind to something and acheived his goal.

Mikewebe
09-04-08, 02:37 AM
I'm gonna go out on a limb here, first I will support every comment made to you. Second I will say if you are that insecure then you are in the wrong house. There are Women here who would put you to...

Qwarkeh
09-04-08, 07:16 AM
Only you can figure it out for yourself, that's what I had to do before and during bootcamp. My parents pulled a lot of the same crap with me and in the end, they realized that now that I'm a Marine, they can't do anything to get me out, so I won and they actually started to do research on the military.

You will be tested on this soon, if you fail you wash out.

MotherGoose
09-04-08, 07:37 AM
Hello all,

I'll be so moto after a PT and my parents will comment on me "dying for the oil companies".

They are just worried about your well being, it's a parent thing. Still, you have to do what YOU truly want. YOU need to reassure THEM... And when (and if) you become a Marine, keep in touch with your parents often, it will cause them less stress.

OB MSG
09-04-08, 09:11 AM
I joined the Corps in '98, did 6 years and punched out. What the Corps gave me is priceless. I will always be part of something bigger than myself and I know it. I have pride that I have served and done what many will never do, mostly because they don't want to.

What else I gained from the Corps. I got my drive back. I was in college, burned out from 17 years of school with only summer breaks. I needed a change and I got it. When I got out, I finished my degree, had gained a TS clearance and much more knowledge than I had before and now I work for an awesome company. Not only that, I got to see and live in places many people only dream of going to. (Kathandu, Nepal for instance.)

Decide for yourself what you want, your parents will see the light and understand you are your own person.

AL49BGN
09-04-08, 09:38 AM
Your parents can't live your life for you.Everyone joins for different reasons but we all remember our service to our country and the lessons it has taught us.I can only speak for myself but the Corps has taught me Honor,discipline,how to put others before myself and loyalty.I joined the Corps because I love my country and wanted to serve her the best way I could because of all the oportunities she has given me.I can't comment on your parents except that as all parents worry about their children but what I can say is that in the end it will be your choice.It takes a special kind of person to sacrifice for others if you feel that you have what it takes then go earn your title and join our family.

Jusaskme
09-04-08, 12:33 PM
I wont reassure you, I will tell you to reassure yourself. If it is what you want and you are worthy, then you will earn it. If you arent, you wont. Its pretty simple really. Reassurance is for the little league baseball coach telling his losing team they can do it. I'll tell you this much, I wanted it, I got it.

OOH RAH

My mom did not want me to have anything to do with the military, let alone the Marine Corp. Like you said though it is your life and your choice. While I was on PI I got sick, had bronchitis, was dropped the day before the crucible, but becoming a Marine, earning the title was all I cared about. Its easy to want to quit. Its easy to get discouraged. You have to be able to motivate yourself because in the end it all comes down to how much you want it. Until I got dropped I was leaning on my sisters in the platoon, I carried my own weight but I just knew we were going to do it all together, when I got dropped I had to do it for me.

Semper Fi

awbrown1462
09-04-08, 01:09 PM
I joined the Marines at 17 in 73 my mother had to sign for me. She knew I was going to join the service when I was little its all I ever wanted she knew if she didnt sign when I turn 18 I would join. I picked the Marines when my uncle came home on leave one time he walked in and I said I want to be one of those.