PDA

View Full Version : Bronchitis/Pneumonia/Asthma -- Again

Tom88
09-03-08, 08:45 PM
Ok, yes I did a search and tried to get a clear cut answer for what I'm worried about, but none of the posts seemed to match my scenario.

As I may or may not have previously stated, I've been talking to my recruiter about enlisting since early summer and have started working out with him and the other poolees accordingly. Right around this time I also made the decision to completely stop smoking cigarettes (I have been smoking off and on since I was about fifteen unfortunately). Probably two weeks into working out every day/quitting smoking cold turkey, I developed a pretty nasty cough. I got it checked out and my family doctor who's been treating me for years quickly diagnosed it as bronchitis and a mild throat infection. He gave me a penicilin shot with some steroids and put me on some standard 10 day antibiotics along with an inhaler which he said was to treat my asthma-like symptoms that accompany bronchitis. So I'm cool, taking my meds and so on. Other than not being able to PT much, life is swell. Well, the cough was actually pretty painful, but I expected this to go away pretty soon.

The bronchitis did not clear up quickly. I went to the hospital for some pretty bad chest pain and they did a couple x-rays and put me on a nebulizer with albuteral or something to dialate my bronchial tubes. They said I'd developed mild pneumonia somehow and rearranged my medication. New inhaler, Z-Pak, steroids to open up my bronchial tubes and off I went. Finished taking all my meds and used the inhaler once a day as they told me to while I was sick. Everything cleared up pretty well in a week and my doctor did another check up. After listening to my lungs he said I was still wheezing and gave me a new inhaler, worried I might have developed asthma BUT also told me the asthma-like symptoms may persist even if the bronchitis is mostly gone. From what I understood, and correct me if I'm wrong, these symptoms do not necessarily mean I've 100% developed asthma. it could just be part of me getting over the bronchitis.

So, it's been three weeks and I'm anxious to start PTing with my fellow poolees/wannabes. I called my doctor this morning and asked if it was sae for me to work out again. He said it was fine, but to maybe use the inhaler before hand. Then, obviously concerned by his statement, I explained that I could not be accepted by the Marine Corps if I had asthma or needed an inhaler regularly and asked him to verify for me, over the phone, whether or not his instructions indicated I would now have persistent asthma that needed to be treated. He said no, that by his opinion I do not have asthma and do not need to seek consistent treatment for it.

I'm still a little nervous by all this. My recruiter is a little put off by it too. What should I do? Get a second opinion? I felt as though I made myself clear about the kind of black and white response I needed from my doctor, but maybe him and I miscommunicated somewhere along the way.

I'm already dealing with one waiver (the details of which I'd rather not have to disclose if it isn't completely necessary, kind of embarrassing stuff from my past) and I'm worried another waiver is going to make me more trouble than I'm worth to the Marine Corps. Can anybody shed some light on my situation and how bad off I might be?

Thank you.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-04-08, 09:39 AM
Give yourself time to get better before you worry too much. When people quit smoking they often have some issues while their lungs heal themselves. Just PT and do what you need to do and don't worry about anything for a couple of months. If you're still having problems then, you may need to get checked out. There are tests that can be performed that will show whether you have asthma or not, and they aren't all that difficult to get done.

Tom88
09-04-08, 11:25 AM
That's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure none of this was a red flag I needed to worry about. Other recruiters told me I'd be going through some wierd stuff while my lungs try to sort of revert from my smoking habit. I think I'll just PT consistently and see where it goes in the coming months like you said. Thanks for the response.

Andreas
09-07-08, 01:59 PM
Basically buddy if you think you have asthma you will need to pass a pulmonary functions test. Your medical insurance should cover it. It basically makes you have an asthma attack, if you pass it then you're fine. If not, then you have asthma and will be disqualified from the Marines.

Give yourself a bit of time to recover from not smoking anymore and the bronchitis, but overall the safe bet is that test.

-Sgt Andreas
Recruiter

Tom88
09-07-08, 03:31 PM
That's my next move as of right now. I was talking to one of the recruiters at the office and he expressed some concern about my chances at MEPS, guessing I'm at about 50/50 right now to pass. I didn't really like those odds, which are based on my breathing/lung issues, so I'm gonna try to take a pulmonary test before I even go. If a doctor tells me I have asthma or I failed the test in some regard there's no point in even going to MEPS and wasting my recruiter's time. I just don't know if it's worth waiting a couple weeks or even a month before doing the test or if the results will be consistent over time. I was hoping a lot of running and maybe some time in the pool would help my overall lung capacity.

it's disappointing to consider I might just be disqualified by something that, at this point, is completely out of my control. I'm doing my best not to think negatively though, at least not until I've done everything I possibly can to improve my chances of passing any and every test I take to join the Marine Corps. If anyone knows any other ways I might improve my chances with a pulmonary function test or my overall physical condition before MEPS I'd love to hear it. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Also -- apparently MEPS has been disqualifying people left and right these last couple of weeks. I didn't even realize this was possible, but one of our wannabes was disqualified for high blood pressure? I mean... Damn. Even more reason to get in shape.

Andreas
09-07-08, 05:10 PM
They have been busting people for opto consults out here in the VA area. Meaning if you wear glasses and we don't submit the prescription with you...you will get temporarily disqualified.

It's a bit of a hassle bud, but you gota remember why you are doing it.

I'm glad you are motivated though. Keep at it!

-Sgt Andreas
Recruiter

Qwarkeh
09-07-08, 05:21 PM
You also have to remember that you've been given an inhaler to speed up your recovery. When I was in boot I had pneumonia, and you know what they gave me? An inhaler! When you have an infection like that NOT using the inhaler would only make it easier for you to develop asthma.

Don't sweat it too much, just listen to your doctor and more than likely you'll land yourself in the DEP program with few problems.

Andreas
09-07-08, 05:23 PM
Oh definitely, use the inhaler man if they issued it to you. But you will need to take that pulmonary functions test to prove you don't have asthma that's all.

Get well soon!

Tom88
09-09-08, 06:41 PM
Thanks for all the positive feedback. I spoke to a buddy of mine who got an inhaler just for the altitude in Washington state when he was in the Navy. I sort of thought any prior or current use of an inhaler was one of those Red Flags/Instant Death tickets for medical exams in the military. Freggin paranoid is what I am. Glad to hear my goals aren't shot by circumstances more or less beyond my control, at least not yet.

I was working out with the DEP Poolees plus all the recruiters this summer and they ran the s%^t out of us. I feel like if I didn't have a breakdown or asthma attack after a good mile or mile and a half run I can't be that worried about it. I don't think what we did was impressive, but I do believe it was more than enough to induce any dorment asthma symptoms one of us might have had. I feel pretty good about it by now.

Also, any advice for a fat body who needs to start running more? I try to run a fixed distance (like a mile or mile and a half to prepare for the IST) but I can't seem to motivate myself to push my own limitations when I work out alone. I know that sounds bad, but I do have a bit of difficulty running for more than ten or fifteen minutes straight and I know I should be keeping my heart rate up for at least 30 minutes a day to lose some body fat. So how can I gradually improve or still manage to lose weight?