PDA

View Full Version : Well...it look's like Force Recon.

Wardey
09-03-08, 10:39 AM
Got a call on Sunday and my son told me he was chosen for "Force Recon". This makes me very proud but also SCARES THE CHIT OUT OF ME !!!!!:scared::D He's loving CMT at LeJeune. He said it is the most awesome thing he has ever done. He said those "chaulk pellets" sting a little though.:D Dave

proudashellmama
09-03-08, 01:06 PM
... scaring me too Wardey.... tell him thank you for me. My son will be in Artillery... cannoneer.....

Osotogary
09-03-08, 01:06 PM
Mr. Warden,
Congratulations on your son's selection. It certainly is not going to be an easy one for sure. From what I understand your son will definitely be challenged not just physically but mentally as well. Good luck and all the best to your young man the Marine.
On a side note, I was able to get a couple of "Proud Parent of a U.S. Marine" from the generous Marine Corps Recruiting Office around my neighborhood (thank you SSgt Joe Salinas) and would like very much to send them to you. I'll even print one onto a t-shirt transfer sheet for you to iron on your favorite t-shirt if you'd like. Just send me your address via pm and I'll get to steppin'.
Once again, congratulations to you son and his selection.
All the best.
Gary

AL49BGN
09-03-08, 01:50 PM
Good luck to your son!

yellowwing
09-03-08, 02:17 PM
From what I've seen, those Recon Lads are the best trained to survive anything that the modern battlefield can throw at them. The whole might of our Beloved Corps is dedicated to keep them Swift, Silent, and Deadly. That's a lot of horsepower to watch his back.

marinemama
09-03-08, 02:21 PM
Very cool, exciting and scary. Well done to him! You are one proud Dad! :o)

FutureBootLouie
09-03-08, 03:59 PM
don't mean to hijack the thread - but Force Recon Companies are taking Pfcs now? I always thought that you had to be more seasoned and of a higher rank to be in Force Reconnaissance...maybe I'm just an idiot

Wardey
09-03-08, 04:11 PM
don't mean to hijack the thread - but Force Recon Companies are taking Pfcs now? I always thought that you had to be more seasoned and of a higher rank to be in Force Reconnaissance...maybe I'm just an idiot

Joining Marine Force Recon

Currently there isn't a direct enlistment route to Force Recon. You must first join the Marine Corps and then apply and be selected to become a Reconnaissance Marine. To be eligible for Marine Force Recon, candidates must:

Marine Force Recon Qualifications

Be a U.S. citizen.
Score 105 or higher on the GT portion of the ASVAB (http://www.*************/ASVAB).
Tip: Scoring high on the ASVAB is key to being able to join an elite team like the Marine Corps' Force Recon. It also makes a difference when it comes to enlistment bonuses and choosing your MOS. Visit our Ace the ASVAB (http://www.*************/ASVAB) section to learn how to make sure you qualify for the bonuses and career options you deserve.

Possess a 1st class swimmer qualification.
Obtain a first class score on the PFT.
Have 20/200 near visual acuity or visual acuity not to exceed 20/400 with a completed PRK eye surgery. Normal color vision is recommended, but not required provided the Marine can complete a vivid red and vivid green recognition test.
Complete Marine Rifleman Course.
Assigned as a primary Military Occupational Specialty to entry-level Marines and obtain a manager-approved lateral-move.
Marines who graduate from the Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC).
Volunteers from any MOS may be certified for AMOS only by Recon unit commanders after attending the SRC or through MOJT at a BRC endorsed unit-training program to include 6 months in an MOS 0321 billet.
Be eligible for a secret security clearance.

Brewer0311
09-03-08, 05:47 PM
Joining Marine Force Recon

Currently there isn't a direct enlistment route to Force Recon. You must first join the Marine Corps and then apply and be selected to become a Reconnaissance Marine. To be eligible for Marine Force Recon, candidates must:

Marine Force Recon Qualifications

Be a U.S. citizen.
Score 105 or higher on the GT portion of the ASVAB (http://www.*************/ASVAB).
Tip: Scoring high on the ASVAB is key to being able to join an elite team like the Marine Corps' Force Recon. It also makes a difference when it comes to enlistment bonuses and choosing your MOS. Visit our Ace the ASVAB (http://www.*************/ASVAB) section to learn how to make sure you qualify for the bonuses and career options you deserve.

Possess a 1st class swimmer qualification.
Obtain a first class score on the PFT.
Have 20/200 near visual acuity or visual acuity not to exceed 20/400 with a completed PRK eye surgery. Normal color vision is recommended, but not required provided the Marine can complete a vivid red and vivid green recognition test.
Complete Marine Rifleman Course.
Assigned as a primary Military Occupational Specialty to entry-level Marines and obtain a manager-approved lateral-move.
Marines who graduate from the Basic Reconnaissance Course (BRC).
Volunteers from any MOS may be certified for AMOS only by Recon unit commanders after attending the SRC or through MOJT at a BRC endorsed unit-training program to include 6 months in an MOS 0321 billet.
Be eligible for a secret security clearance.

Force Recon no longer exists,sir. He is going to Recon Battalion where he'll be in R.I.P. Recon Indoctorine Platoon. Upon completion of that he'll go through ARS/BRC depending on what coast he is on. Then he'll be an 0321 (Recon Marine) and go to Jump,Dive, SERE, and all other kind of things.

Force Recon was disbanded and MARSOC has taken its place. MARSOC does take Marines straight out of SOI, but they will not be operators. They would be security company.

Eric Hood
09-03-08, 05:53 PM
Congratulations!
Semper Fi,
Eric

Mikewebe
09-03-08, 06:01 PM
Correct was on the MarSoc site today

Mikewebe
09-03-08, 06:18 PM
However I should have stated that they do their recruiting or screening out of SOI so PFC's and those who are still PVT's are eligible

MGySgtSki
09-03-08, 06:37 PM
Force Recon no longer exists,sir. He is going to Recon Battalion where he'll be in R.I.P. Recon Indoctorine Platoon. Upon completion of that he'll go through ARS/BRC depending on what coast he is on. Then he'll be an 0321 (Recon Marine) and go to Jump,Dive, SERE, and all other kind of things.

Force Recon was disbanded and MARSOC has taken its place. MARSOC does take Marines straight out of SOI, but they will not be operators. They would be security company.

Correct except on one small point. There is no more ARS, only BRC on the west coast now in a consolidated school.

S/F

fieldcammies
09-03-08, 07:42 PM
Brewer,

It doesn't roll like that anymore. The entire process from SOI to BRC-trained 0321 takes place at the School of Infantry now. The transition took place about a year ago. It's too bad, the RIP/RTP program was the make or break for any wannabe.

Wardey
09-03-08, 08:58 PM
Damn, You guys got me really confused......:scared::scared::DDave

Mikewebe
09-03-08, 09:08 PM
Sorry, look at it this way, Camp Pendleton used to have first battation recon and 1st Force recon same as Lejeune but it was 2nd Batt and Force. Those elements were combined and the name and lots of other stuff were changed. Its now referred to as MarSoc

FutureBootLouie
09-03-08, 09:30 PM

So there's no more Force Recon Companies? I thought they just fell under USSOCOM now...please shed some light?

Or I can just do some research on it lol

Mikewebe
09-03-08, 09:40 PM
As far as I know its been restructured, for example 4th Force in Reno is now two platoons a sniper platoon and a Linguistic platoon I believe and they now belong to 4th MEB ATB

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-03-08, 10:30 PM
Force became a larger unit called MarSoc. In essence, they did take the Force "operators" and then add some support, and send them to SOCOM.

Recon Bn is still in place, it is still a needed mission. If anything, I'd guess they may have taken some of the old Force mission since MARSOC answers to an independent command- and that was the argument that kept force out of SOCOM for so long.

Mikewebe
09-03-08, 10:32 PM
Oh I thought Battalion got absorbed.

Brewer0311
09-03-08, 11:54 PM
Brewer,

It doesn't roll like that anymore. The entire process from SOI to BRC-trained 0321 takes place at the School of Infantry now. The transition took place about a year ago. It's too bad, the RIP/RTP program was the make or break for any wannabe.

So... There is no more becoming an 0311, going to Courthouse Bay for a bit in RIP, and then off to school to be a Recon Marine? You just get trained at SOI to be an 0321? That definately seems like it would be harder to get good candidates.

I haven't even been in that long and as you can see stuff changes quick.:marine:

Mikewebe
09-04-08, 12:21 AM
Well if its anything like what I went through in 89, Force and Battalion come to you in SOI, but all the students present have already been screened. So the rest of your company is out doing something while you get a class and a demonstration of the differences, of Infantry and Recon. You then get told that you will report somewhere Friday morning at so and so with this gear. You then get briefed and begin the indoc. Ours was a PFT in Boots and Uts, a double run of the O course for time, a S1 swim qual and a three mile run with a 50 lb ruck for time. You then got interviewed based on your performance and were either told to kick rocks or report to SSGT so and so.

Wardey
09-04-08, 06:22 AM
I will speak with him this Sunday or the Sunday after next and I will get the striaght. He only had five minutes to talk last Sunday. I do know the before he left for BC at Parris Island, his recruiter took him from Tampa to Orlando to try him for "Force Recon" to see if he was a candidate. He ran 7 miles, swam 3 miles and then ran another 5 miles. It had to be done in less than 1:30 and he ran/swam it in 1:22. I hope to talk with him longer on Sunday. Dave

ScottsMom
09-04-08, 12:37 PM
Congrats Papa Warden!! I agree with you, I'm also really confused now.......

bootlace15
09-04-08, 01:23 PM
Well,with all those initials.who gives a sh!t. They still are the craziest bastards to step on them yellow foot prints. Run 7 swim 3 and run another 5 in less than 1:30 minutes,you gotta be crazy.

Mikewebe
09-04-08, 02:48 PM
Ward, your son is no doubt a PT animal, wish I could swim 3 miles, right now I couldn't walk 3 miles. You will slowly see how all this fits together with the name changes and the units and the missions. ;)

Wardey
09-14-08, 06:31 PM
OK, Just got the phone with him and he is doing well. You guy's were right and I was wrong.....my misunderstanding. He "qualified" to try for Recon. When he went to Orlando for his qualification it was not mandatory. He did it just to see how he stood. Now, after his MCT he qualified to try for Recon. He is going to continue with his MOS and see if the recon is something he wants to do in the future. Thanks for all the info. Dave

hardcorps1110
09-25-08, 01:34 AM

I was looking into Recon in the long run. What is the difference between operators and security forces?

Javier1373
09-25-08, 05:57 AM
My lil brother damn near killed himself during the indoc after his first tour. He doesn't really remember much except for waking up in the hospital. He loved 1st Force when he was there. Hard little bastard was able to snoop and poop outta the hospital to go to his interview. He got out of the Corps as they were changing over to MarSoc.

I hate him because he's one of those freaks of nature that can not run for a month then just go for a run and throw down a freakish @ss pace. He may have gotten the freaky PT gift but I got the good looks so screw him!!!

1121DOG
09-28-08, 04:29 PM
Correct except on one small point. There is no more ARS, only BRC on the west coast now in a consolidated school.

S/F

First off I would like to say congrats to your son....if in fact he is coming into the Reconnaissance community.

Correction BRTC -Basic Recon Training Course
I know, I get alot of boot marines in my unit from here. We call them Recon Babies. Because they will come into the Marine Corps not having done anything and becoming an 0321 they will think that they are God's gift to the Corps....... I see it, and have seen it over the past few years since the course has started to water down, because of the need for Recon Marines in MARSOC. The schoolhouse is just pushing them through the course. It used to mean something to graduate from ARS or BRC..... Now I've got newbies telling me "it was like an advanced infantry course..."

Whats the Corps coming to??:scared: Just my .02

0311 Born
0321 Bred
Marine By God

*FYI FORCE RECON just stood back up with 1st and 2nd Recon Bn.'s. Now they will be 1st Recon. Bn Force Company...ie: Alpha, Bravo, Force Company....This news is as of last month

Sabatino21
01-14-09, 11:14 PM
Hi my name is Sam Faraone and I am wondering can I wear glasses and be in Force Recon? My vision is 20/60 without glasses and correctable to 20/15. I have always wanted to go in the Corp but if its Special Forces wont exept me I will have to go to like navy or army...gay

help please

0231Marine
02-12-09, 11:42 AM
There is no more Force Recon!! And if you want to be a Marine just for those reasons and would switch to another branch if you can't cut it as a Recon Marine is weak. If you are motivated enough to try it...more power to you. But if you don't make it you should be d**n proud just to be a Marine.

1) Fill out your friggin profile completely!

2) Why the fvck are you posting in a forum not designated for poolee's?

3) Why the hell are you talking about the Marine Corps like you've been there and done that? Shut your mouth and stop disrespecting other people. You are at the bottom of the food chain here junior so shut your mouth and march yourself over to the poolee area.

0231Marine
02-12-09, 11:47 AM
Hi my name is Sam Faraone and I am wondering can I wear glasses and be in Force Recon? My vision is 20/60 without glasses and correctable to 20/15. I have always wanted to go in the Corp but if its Special Forces wont exept me I will have to go to like navy or army...gay

help please

I don't know about the glasses question but have you considered lasik? You can always enlist in another MOS, get the Lasik for free and then take the Recon indoc once you've spent some time in the Marine Corps and you've got some rank and experience.

And Corps has an S. Also, I would not disrespect the other services by calling them Gay. They have a mission same as the Marine Corps and they do it quite well. The Marines are the best but our fellow services are quite capable of doing what they do!

qbbanks3
02-12-09, 02:29 PM
1) Fill out your friggin profile completely!

2) Why the fvck are you posting in a forum not designated for poolee's?

3) Why the hell are you talking about the Marine Corps like you've been there and done that? Shut your mouth and stop disrespecting other people. You are at the bottom of the food chain here junior so shut your mouth and march yourself over to the poolee area.

If you actually read the whole thing, I was answering a post from someone who is not a Marine giving him MY opinion, if you think its cool to become a Marine and then switch branches just because you couldn't get your desired job is your business. Personally, I think it is BS. I was just telling him that he should be happy to earn the title even if he doesn't make Recon. But if it ****es you off my bad. Anyway the forum I posted on was for Marine family. In no way did I intend on disrespecting anyone in a family forum.How did I talk like I've been there done that?? I definitely respect your opinion (you are a Marine) so from now on I will only post in the poolee area. Hopefully this answered your questions.

NoRemorse
02-12-09, 02:33 PM
If you actually read the whole thing, I was answering a post from someone who is not a Marine giving him MY opinion, if you think its cool to become a Marine and then switch branches just because you couldn't get your desired job is your business. Personally, I think it is BS. I was just telling him that he should be happy to earn the title even if he doesn't make Recon. But if it ****es you off my bad. Anyway the forum I posted on was for Marine family. In no way did I intend on disrespecting anyone in a family forum.How did I talk like I've been there done that?? I definitely respect your opinion (you are a Marine) so from now on I will only post in the poolee area. Hopefully this answered your questions.

The correct response was "Aye, Cpl!"

Force Recon stood up again at Lejuene. You're dishing out bad scoop, poolee. Go tell your recruiter you have to pay him for disrespecting a Marine and insubordination.

Welcome to the IRR.

qbbanks3
02-12-09, 02:41 PM
The correct response was "Aye, Cpl!"

Force Recon stood up again at Lejuene. You're dishing out bad scoop, poolee. Go tell your recruiter you have to pay him for disrespecting a Marine and insubordination.

Welcome to the IRR.

My fault for that (not saying "Aye, Cpl!") but besides that, was there anyway that I disrespected him or was insubordinate? I definitely don't want to do either of those things.

NoRemorse
02-12-09, 02:45 PM
My fault for that (not saying "Aye, Cpl!") but besides that, was there anyway that I disrespected him or was insubordinate? I definitely don't want to do either of those things.

Consider it a learning experience. You'll learn when to stand up and when to back down. Remember that we're on the internet and its easy to mistake tone.

Remember that if you ever earn the title you'll be expected to man-up and not run your suck when you're being dressed down by someone senior to you.

qbbanks3
02-12-09, 02:50 PM
Consider it a learning experience. You'll learn when to stand up and when to back down. Remember that we're on the internet and its easy to mistake tone.

Remember that if you ever earn the title you'll be expected to man-up and not run your suck when you're being dressed down by someone senior to you.

I appreciate the lesson, and from now on I will only be in Poolee forums. And again I meant absolute no disrespect.

CH53MetalMan
02-12-09, 04:11 PM
I will speak with him this Sunday or the Sunday after next and I will get the striaght. He only had five minutes to talk last Sunday. I do know the before he left for BC at Parris Island, his recruiter took him from Tampa to Orlando to try him for "Force Recon" to see if he was a candidate. He ran 7 miles, swam 3 miles and then ran another 5 miles. It had to be done in less than 1:30 and he ran/swam it in 1:22. I hope to talk with him longer on Sunday. Dave

Double check with your son on these times and distances.

No one can run a total of 12 miles ( that's almost two 10K runs ) and swim 3 miles in an hour and a half. The swim alone would take well over one hour.

BHABIT
04-08-09, 04:11 PM
Sir...your fears will be unfounded. Your son will be safer in recon than in a line Co. He will be better trained and better rounded as a Marine. I mean no disrespect to fleet Marines, it's just he will have better intel on any mission he enjoins. My congratulations to your son and to you for raising the type of man that can qualify for the honor of being a part of recon forces.

OOOOORAH!!