PDA

View Full Version : Local Marine returns from Iraq

thedrifter
09-03-08, 09:18 AM
Local Marine returns from Iraq

David Knezek gets American hero's welcome in Heights

By Sean Delaney, Press & Guide Newspapers

PUBLISHED: September 3, 2008

DEARBORN HEIGHTS - Lifelong Dearborn Heights resident David Knezek received a hero's welcome late last month when he returned home after serving more than eight months with the United States Marine Corps in Iraq.

"It feels great to be home," said Knezek, 22. "I definitely missed my family and friends, all of whom were incredibly supportive during this employment. I hated the pain and sadness I put my family through, especially my mother, but everyone knew I was following my heart and doing what I thought I had to do."

Knezek joined the U.S. Marines in May 2006 after his sophomore year of college at Michigan State University.

"The war in Iraq was always such an important topic to me, and I always took every chance I got to debate it and offer my opinions on the war," Knezek said. "After awhile I reached the point where I realized that I had been talking about it enough and that it was time for me to actually do something about it."

Knezek attended boot camp at Parris Island and Communications School in 29 Palms, Calif., before checking in with the 1st Battalion, 24th Marines, out of Selfridge Air National Guard Base.

The Dearborn Heights resident volunteered to deploy with the 2nd Battalion, 24th Marines, out of Chicago, Ill., and officially joined the unit in August 2008. He has served in the unit ever since as a member of the Scout Sniper Platoon.

Knezek was deployed to Iraq in January 2008, where he served as radio operator and as Lance Corporal of a five-member Scout Sniper team.

"I was responsible for obtaining and maintaining positive communication with supporting and adjacent units," said Knezek, who was promoted to the rank of Corporal in June 2008.

Despite the controversy surrounding the war in Iraq, Knezek said he has no regrets about enlisting and encourages others to do the same.

"We all know that the war isn't popular right now, and that's fine, but there are still some of our country's finest men and women over there giving there all to try and bring about positive changes," Knezek said.

"These people are willing to lay down their lives — and not just because they agree with the war or not — but because they believe that there is a cause bigger than themselves out there, and they know that's worth giving up their time and energy for."

After returning home last month, Knezek said he is unsure whether he'll be returning to Iraq for another tour of duty. Most reserve units deploy once every four years, he said, and with a little more than three years left on his contract, he may get out before the Marine Corps come calling again.

Until that time, Knezek said he would continue to pursue his pre-law degree in Political Science at Michigan State University and spend time with his family and friends.

"After serving overseas, I've really come to appreciate all that life has to offer here at home," he said. "Some of our worst days here are still better than the best days for people elsewhere in the world."

It's the little things he missed the most, Knezek said — like his mother's homemade lasagna.

"I had some when I got home and I almost lost it with excitement," he said.

Knezek is the son of Dave Knezek, a Dearborn Heights Police Officer who retired after almost 25 years of service, and Lili Knezek, who works for the Dearborn Public School District. His brother, Matt, attends the University of Michigan-Dearborn, and his sister, Marie, is also a United States Marine.

"I think it's important for all Americans to not forget about our men and women overseas," Knezek said. "We still have thousands of Americans over there, and it's important that we don't lose sight of trying to develop a positive strategy for ensuring our troops safe return home."

Because home, Knezek said, is where the heart is.

"I'm proud of where I come from," he said. "I saw and did a lot of things over there but not once did I ever do anything that would shame myself, my family or my county and I'm proud of that. I'm proud I was able to go over there and make a difference."

Contact Staff Writer Sean Delaney at (313) 359-7820 or sdelaney@heritage.com.

Ellie