PDA

View Full Version : Would it be wise to consider retaking the asvab?

Matlock09
09-02-08, 09:32 PM
Hello Marines and Poolees,

I have been lurking this site off and on for around 2 years gathering as much info on the Marine Corps as I could. Now I cant believe after all these years it is finally my opportunity coming up to claim the title, United States Marine.

Let me start off by saying around December in my junior year, I had around a 3 day notice to sign up for the high school version of the asvab. So I did really no studying for it and I didn't take it as serious as I should(went to bed around midnight the night). So when I arrive I find out you are not allowed to use a calculator for the math portion, as I haven't been without a calculator in many years so I found it difficult to accurately complete the math portion in the alloated time. I ended up scoring a 45 and I dont believe that reflects my true potential.

However, after recently talking with my recruiter briefly, he claims that the asvab score(specifically line scores) are enough for the job fields I am interested in. While I dont doubt that, my father who was once a recruiter for the USCG, believes I shouldn't enlist with this type of score and could limit my future educational oppurtunities if I choose to pursue them.

I can understand my recruiters reason for not wanting me to take it again but I bought the Asvab for dummies books this summer and I truly believe if given the oppurtunity I could score a vastly higher score.

So in conclusion my question is, will 45 asvab scores follow me around the rest of my military career and limit me in anyway?

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 09:38 PM
The only time I ever heard my score after initially taking it was 11 years later when the Nat. Guard guy needed them. So I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you meet the criteria

Marine84
09-02-08, 09:49 PM
I'm not gettin' it...........why does everybody think you need to "study" for the ASVAB - you're not taking the freaking SAT. From what I remember, a lot of it was stuff you've already learned somewhere in your life up til now or common sense and a few you have to guess at. Pretty much it's used to see what you already know and what area of the Corps you would be trainable in.

Is it used for anything other than that these days?

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 09:54 PM
She's right and from what I recall I was amazed that it was as easy as it was. I just did all I could do and finished it.

Matlock09
09-02-08, 10:04 PM
I'm not gettin' it...........why does everybody think you need to "study" for the ASVAB - you're not taking the freaking SAT. From what I remember, a lot of it was stuff you've already learned somewhere in your life up til now or common sense and a few you have to guess at. Pretty much it's used to see what you already know and what area of the Corps you would be trainable in.

Is it used for anything other than that these days?
Ok thank you for your response Lcpl. I guess meant by studying was I didnt brush up on my math skills(honestly have never done algrebra without a calculator) or prepare myself mentally for taking any type of test for that matter.

But the main thing I wanted to know is if the asvab scores follow you and so far the general consecious is that it doesn't. Once again thanks for the respones.

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 10:12 PM
Alge.... what I can't even spell it and I qualified for everyjob in the Corps.

jrhd97
09-02-08, 10:36 PM
The only time my scores were brought up was when I lat moved. Then they only looked at the one area of the test that pertained to the new mos to see how I scored.

FutureBootLouie
09-02-08, 10:49 PM
The only time I ever heard my score after initially taking it was 11 years later when the Nat. Guard guy needed them. So I wouldn't be too concerned as long as you meet the criteria

I'm not too familiar with the retaking process, but if you really want to retake it, get it your way.

YOU hold the cards in your hands, not the recruiter. It is YOUR CAREER. Not your recruiters.

You hold the power. If you want to retake the ASVAB, see to it that your recruiter gets it done.

Enlisting is a monumental decision. Make sure you're fully qualified for the MOS you want. Don't settle.

Plus, if you want to get into other MOSes or the Officer Program in the future, they look at your GT scores and ASTB scores as well.

jrhd97
09-02-08, 10:51 PM
Keep in mind the re-take score is the one that will go on record, even if it is lower than the first.

thewookie
09-02-08, 10:59 PM
I'm not too familiar with the retaking process, but if you really want to retake it, get it your way.

YOU hold the cards in your hands, not the recruiter. It is YOUR CAREER. Not your recruiters.

You hold the power. If you want to retake the ASVAB, see to it that your recruiter gets it done.

Enlisting is a monumental decision. Make sure you're fully qualified for the MOS you want. Don't settle.

Plus, if you want to get into other MOSes or the Officer Program in the future, they look at your GT scores and ASTB scores as well.

I agree, well said.

I took the ASVAP to get out of class in HS. I didn't fair so well.

Now,, I ended up going in open contract because of circumstances and I got Motor T, but my point is with the scores I had; I didn't leave myself many choices.

And then later on in my career when I wanted to go to certain schools it was in issue. I also might have stayed in to go to EOD school but my scores were low.

Re-take it.

FutureBootLouie
09-02-08, 11:04 PM
Keep in mind the re-take score is the one that will go on record, even if it is lower than the first.

If he studied for it, there should be no reason the 2nd one turns out lower than the first.

I also took it to get out of class with no intention of enlisting. Scored a 96 and recruiters started blowing up the phone lol

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 11:32 PM
What if He's a stress case though ? Just a thought:confused:

FutureBootLouie
09-02-08, 11:37 PM
What if He's a stress case though ? Just a thought:confused:

If he can't handle the stress of retaking a multiple choice test, have fun in boot camp

boot camp is still one of the most miserable experiences of my life. I got ITed all the friggin time.

I just saw on together we served that my former Drill Hat, a SSgt is now a 1stSgt...damn he picked up fast !

Mikewebe
09-03-08, 12:11 AM
It reminds me off the recruit on that video you guys have that couldn't get the tape off his moon beam and got his rack destroyed.