PDA

View Full Version : MRE rations

Rains
09-02-08, 01:27 PM
My dad was telling me that feild rations are tricky to open up/heat ect. so I was wondering if there are places you can order some of these, I want to get the hang of them, just to be a little more prepared for boot.

Anyone have a link for me?

srinaldo86
09-02-08, 01:37 PM
Do you want someone to order them (http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/0A01/product-id/17219.html)for you too?

Rains
09-02-08, 01:38 PM
Do you want someone to order them (http://www.militaryclothing.com/IBS/SimpleCat/Product/asp/hierarchy/0A01/product-id/17219.html)for you too?

Thanks! :beer:

Brewer0311
09-02-08, 02:04 PM
Your only going to eat about 4 MREs at the most while your at boot.

Don't worry about heating them becuase you won't have time to.

The only way mine are ever heated is if it is hot outside.

Here's a trick for you. The tents you stay in while your in the field (If you can manage to get them) hold body heat through the air you breathe. Save the heaters and use them when its 30 degrees outside, your soaking wet, and have to strip down to change.

Garrett90
09-02-08, 02:32 PM
My dads still got a box of some MRE's left over, and I actually had one last night lol. Chili mac, it was actually pretty good lol. I had a choice between that, grilled beef patty, and some other chicken thing, so I stayed safe and took the chili mac.

TJR1070
09-02-08, 02:35 PM
I can't belive the things these kids worry about sometimes!! How about concentrating on your IST and boot camp knowledge? Oh, that might actually be work. No, I'd rather practice eating MRE's all day.

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 02:36 PM
Yeah keep the heater sif its cold but if you get the opportunity to use one and don't need it for warmth just follow the instuctions, its recruit proof

RYDERKUR
09-02-08, 02:37 PM
Oh you young poolees have so much to look forward to. You will probably be eating your words, quite literally, here very soon. Wait until you are in the field and have nothing to eat but those for a few weeks. I almost would rather not eat, which is the truth, I sometimes only eat half (the pogey-bait snacky stuff at that). And the smell. I leave that one for you to figure out. Can't ruin it for all the poolees now can I?

Achped
09-02-08, 02:38 PM
Haha, whatever's easiest I guess. At least he's not asking if lieing in the grass in his backyard is good practice to be a sniper! LOL!

Yes, its true, MREs are hard to open, especially when its like 20 degrees outside and you've only got a few minutes to eat it. But you will manage.

RYDERKUR
09-02-08, 02:38 PM
Yeah keep the heater sif its cold but if you get the opportunity to use one and don't need it for warmth just follow the instuctions, its recruit proof

LMFAO. "Rock or something"...That makes me chuckle under the most miserable conditions everytime I see it.

Sorry about the double post. You added that while I was writing the previous one. 'Rahh

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 02:44 PM
No prob but even in Bridgeport during a winter package I never found them difficult to open. I prefer the old heat tab and canteen cup method though to the plastic bag heaters

Achped
09-02-08, 02:51 PM
rofl rofl I forgot about that, Ive actually got 3 MREs saved from the range when i went in June. I remember when I had them in January, holy ****. I took the rice pilaf and put it in the fridge, and then after a few hours gave it to my mom and was like eat that for 3 weeks!!!!

She about threw up. Rice pilaf smells like urine!

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 02:53 PM
Ham Omellete with the cheese squeezed into it and corn beef hash nummmy for my tummy

Achped
09-02-08, 02:57 PM
Everyone hated the cheese omelet but personally I really didnt have a problem with it, I would gladly trade JUMBALAYA for it...eww

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 03:00 PM
At least you didn't have to endure the dehydrated pork or beef pattie or the beef in bbq sauce good lord, thank got for top ramen

Achped
09-02-08, 03:07 PM
Beef in bbq? are you nuts? That was my favorite!

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 03:13 PM
It wasn't the one in chunks it was a solid piece of tough meat that took the whole pouch up

Achped
09-02-08, 03:26 PM
oh, yeah that sounds pretty disgusting. The one in chunks is nice, but you have to mix it with something.

MRE-bay!

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 03:30 PM
We used to carry Mrs Dash inirst aid kits, really **** the Corpsman off lol

Quinbo
09-02-08, 03:31 PM
I liked both the beef and pork patty dehydrated. The beef slices in bbq sause had to be about the worst. If you took one of those slices and rinsed all the sauce off it, it would have have a kind of shiny greenish color and it was like eating wet newspaper dipped in katsup.

The pork patty came with real applesauce and a gorrilla cookie along with the good white cheese and a packet of dehydrated katsup. Who wouldn't want that one?

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 03:35 PM
Beef slices thats the one, of course they had to make the rest of it good after they gave you that lol. I liked the tuna in noodles and chicken and rice

RYDERKUR
09-02-08, 03:38 PM
I've become convinced eating MRE's probably takes a good 10-15 years off of life, haha.

Rains
09-02-08, 06:48 PM
I can't belive the things these kids worry about sometimes!! How about concentrating on your IST and boot camp knowledge? Oh, that might actually be work. No, I'd rather practice eating MRE's all day.

With all due respect, I do focus on those subjects. Just because I focus on those does not mean I cant learn other things aswell. :cool:

I didnt think this thread was going to get so many posts, sounds like eatin them things will be fun. :beer:

Qwarkeh
09-02-08, 10:31 PM
Hahahaa, don't worry, they're not that hard to deal with. It's easy to open and use the heating thing but that doesn't mean you should use it. I actually almost burnt myself with it by adding too much water! Just as long as you use your head you won't need to spend your own cash to buy MREs before you ship off.

FutureBootLouie
09-02-08, 11:10 PM
My dad was telling me that feild rations are tricky to open up/heat ect. so I was wondering if there are places you can order some of these, I want to get the hang of them, just to be a little more prepared for boot.

Anyone have a link for me?

ROFL ordering MREs to become more prepared for boot camp?

How about getting stronger, getting faster and studying your knowledge?

poolees and candidates say the funniest **** I've ever heard, I swear.

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 11:16 PM
Of course now that I think about it you may want to reconsider going to MCRD, if your having difficulty with MRE's wait till reception is over OMG......you gonna have it rough lol. I'm just teasing of course but please do worry about different things, and hang out at thr RS, I did learned a lot when my recruiters were having slow times

thewookie
09-02-08, 11:18 PM
With all due respect, I do focus on those subjects. Just because I focus on those does not mean I cant learn other things aswell. :cool:

I didnt think this thread was going to get so many posts, sounds like eatin them things will be fun. :beer:

What are you on crack?

FutureBootLouie
09-02-08, 11:31 PM
MREs were always good until you've had about 6 of them (in a lifetime), then they become exponentially more disgusting.

Iseethelight
09-02-08, 11:54 PM
6? I hated em after 2.

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 11:56 PM
"I did learned" my God I'm losing it, am I in Kentucky? Must be I want an MRE

awbrown1462
09-03-08, 06:52 AM
hey watch it Mikewebe I am in Ky and I don't want one... now give me a c-rat yummy but not lima beans and M.F.s

TJR1070
09-03-08, 08:16 AM
Hey Rains if I were you I would concentratiing on eating alot more of something before I go to boot camp but it sure as hell wouldn't be MRE's. Now go out and do some pull-ups!!

When we were in Korea for Valaint Blitz '89, Mama-san pulled her ox cart to within about 500 yards of the Battalion CP and set up shop (I think she was even inside our security perimeter). Anyway 1 MRE = 1 bowl of ramen noodles, 1 bottle of Pepsi and 2 moon pies. Not a bad deal for one of those frisbee's they called "dehydrated pork or beef patties".

SGT VAS
09-03-08, 08:21 AM
Must have seen that woman's daughter in Pohang, South Korea because they still offer a Pepsi, WARM noodles, and moon pies for an MRE. Love thoses noodles especially when its 10 degrees outside!:)

Rains
09-03-08, 11:00 AM
What are you on crack?

That was a joke Sgt.;)

And, why does everyone think I should not try to learn as much as possible and only get better physicly and mentaly, which I already am doing.

Iseethelight
09-03-08, 11:16 AM
There's nothing to learn about MRE's. You rip them open and shovel the food into your face before time runs out, it's as simple as that. Heating them is a waste of time.

BR34
09-03-08, 11:51 AM
Heating them is a waste of time.

I'll go even further and say using a spoon is a waste of time. I've rarely ever used a spoon with a MRE because frankly, it's quicker and easier to just squeeze the crap out like toothpaste.

TJR1070
09-03-08, 12:48 PM
Sgt Vas you're probably right because it was a litlle village north of Pohang call Tok Sok Ri. She even sold Soju or Captain Q if you wanted it and boy did it keep you warm too.

Barta
09-03-08, 10:01 PM
Hmm...I actually liked the MRE's but they weren't near as filling as I thought they would be. By the end of field week you will be sick of them though. Some of them are good and some of them are nasty. I just remember the rice pilaf being very dry. Adding a bit of water to it helps a bit. It's luck of the draw in terms of which ones you get. Anything with the jalepeno cheese is pretty good.

As for opening the packages...Just rip it open. Not much to it, if you're hungry enough (which you will be) it shouldn't take so long. Heating that trash up is a waste of time though. I know a few guys that saved it for night in the hooch though because it can get pretty cold and if you work it the right way you can kind of position it in your sleeping bag for a bit of warmth. Just be careful not to spill it because it can get VERY hot.

*shrugs*

That's about my only advice. It's the least of your concerns though. One thing I learned is that 90% of the things you worry about before boot camp is irrelevant once you get there. Honestly, I remember worrying about the dumbest things and when I got there I realized it was silly to even be thinking about those things. Just prepare yourself mentally (the physical part comes with the training, but it's good to ship in shape) and you will be good.

-matthew

Mikewebe
09-03-08, 11:13 PM
hey watch it Mikewebe I am in Ky and I don't want one... now give me a c-rat yummy but not lima beans and M.F.s

Its all good abrown I don't want ya after me after all you got the best marksmen in the country;)

usmchauer
09-04-08, 01:11 AM
I always enjoyed rice pilaf or was it mexican rice? Whichever one it was, it always gave me the absolute worst gas, clear a room type stuff. But, everybody loves their own fragrance so they say, never bothered me.

Mikewebe
09-04-08, 01:19 AM
Cheap Charlie and yes Moon pies and pepsi, in the field ....hell yeah

SgtHMH
09-04-08, 02:31 AM
There plastics bags and what you get is what you get to eat. You can trade around the food if you wish. We made bombs out of the heat tabs with plastic bottles, water, duc tape and the heat tab. Advise to do this after Boot Camp the DIs would not like it.

Semper Fi

Mikewebe
09-04-08, 02:42 AM
Heater Bombs rock:thumbup:

Haffner
09-04-08, 08:25 AM
More advice. When you're in a field situation with simulated artillery, do FREAKIN NOT decide that's the time to get a Heater Bomb going.

That speaks for itself and I'll leave the rest up to imagination.

sparkie
09-04-08, 08:27 AM
Well, I've read this whole thread, and saw nothing said for tobasco sauce. That must mean MREs are pretty good. Never had one. Try eatin C-Rats without tobasco,,,,, wet cardboard. Best thing was the ciggs and coffee.

Pvt Cowboy45
09-04-08, 08:32 AM
MREs were always good until you've had about 6 of them (in a lifetime), then they become exponentially more disgusting.

dude i love MREs we buy them and take them when we go hunting they are great :]

Wyoming
09-04-08, 08:53 AM
Well, I've read this whole thread, and saw nothing said for tobasco sauce. That must mean MREs are pretty good. Never had one. Try eatin C-Rats without tobasco,,,,, wet cardboard. Best thing was the ciggs and coffee.

Sparkie, My Brother, as you well know, during the little conflict in the RVN, Tabasco Sauce was a staple.

We would have it shipped from CONUS and guard it with our soul. It is prolly the only thing that was kept under lock. Mine, was generally always with me, and made many a flight in a 46.

I even had one of those stainless steel holders. STILL have it, and use it to this day.

Tabasco Sauce Rules!!!

Rains
09-04-08, 12:53 PM
LOL. Thanks for all the responses Marines and Pool-ees. :thumbup:

But yea, I dont worry about that sort of stuff, its just curiosity.

And by the way, what is this heater bomb.... :confused:

srinaldo86
09-04-08, 01:10 PM
Heater bomb is the use of three or more heater pads from your MRE put into a bottle with water, capped, sealed, and sits until it explodes.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-04-08, 06:44 PM
Sits? Why let a perfectly good heater bomb just sit there?

thewookie
09-04-08, 07:03 PM
Heater bomb is the use of three or more heater pads from your MRE put into a bottle with water, capped, sealed, and sits until it explodes.

Three of them, WTF are you some sort domestic terrorist? All you need is one per soda bottle,, why waste them.

Rains
09-04-08, 08:36 PM
Three of them, WTF are you some sort domestic terrorist? All you need is one per soda bottle,, why waste them.

ROFL. Im going to have to try this some time. Thanks!

RYDERKUR
09-04-08, 09:04 PM
dude i love MREs we buy them and take them when we go hunting they are great :]

What the **** is it with these F'in poolees. You are the second one to do this **** in a week. An NCO of Marines is not "dude" or "man," at least to you, and frankly me either. Quite disrespecting these Marines and especially NCO's. I dare you to do that while your in boot or the Fleet.

Mikewebe
09-04-08, 09:17 PM
At ease Ryder, sometimes its an accident and sometimes there is no excuse but they aren't in yet, don't discourage them. I still use rank when I run into a recruiter or whatever but thats me.

SlingerDun
09-04-08, 09:21 PM
dude i love MREs we buy them and take them when we go hunting they are great :]Do they come with a long spoon? For real? dood i can buy like 2 pieces of fruit, make like a pound of trail mix and 6 sandwich's...... a day's worth of outback victuals for the price of 1 MRE unit

Achped
09-04-08, 09:37 PM
At ease Ryder, sometimes its an accident and sometimes there is no excuse but they aren't in yet, don't discourage them. I still use rank when I run into a recruiter or whatever but thats me.

Yeah I call my recruiter "man" and stuff, its nuts, I had just depp'd in, he was a Sgt, I was a brand new poolee. I got back from boot he was a SSgt, and now he's about to be a gunny!

The only time I use his rank is when talkign to him, i.e. I won't say "Hey V" or "Hey man" I will say "Hey SSgt". But thats only because recruiters try to be as civilian as possible, and don't like the YES SSGT NO SSGT AYE SSGT stuff out in the civilian world.

RYDERKUR
09-04-08, 09:47 PM
Roger that Cpl. As you can tell, it just drives me nuts. 'Rahh

Mikewebe
09-04-08, 10:05 PM
I'm in the re up process and I got 2 SSGT's on it because of the distance and ones a prior service and the one here isn't But I been out the Corps for 15 years and I call them by their rank, even though had I stayed in they are boots to me. Some of these kids on here are doing the best thing possible by learning from us. I didn't have this as there were no internet. So I just ask help them unless they are just straight garbage to you and us:beer:

Haffner
09-04-08, 11:19 PM
Heater bomb + bottles of tabasco (if you can stomach MREs without them) with Marines downwind...that's even better. Kind've an airborne mace of sorts.

TJR1070
09-05-08, 07:24 AM
Chemical Heater Bombs..... Marine ingenuity at it's best!!

Brewer0311
09-05-08, 08:42 AM
You have to add the red pepper in with it though. It's just not the same without it.

Add tabasco and red pepper. Duct tape it closed. Toss into unsuspecting person's area. And boom!

Or don't duct tape it and it's like your own personal gas chamber qual.

outlaw3179
09-05-08, 09:30 AM
Fu*k. I think Ive heard it all now. What the f*ck? F*cking haze yourself now. Practice eating MRE's ? What the f*ck.

Achped
09-05-08, 10:29 AM
Speaking of cold...

I just landed in Denver on my way home, and its FOURTY EIGHT DEGREES? WHAT THE FREAK!?!??!

Rains
09-05-08, 10:56 AM
ROFL. Thanks for the tips on the heater bomb, I am seriously going to use this knowlage some time.

And.. I do not think I will worry about ordering any MREs, I'll just save that for Boot Camp.

hawks
09-17-08, 02:00 PM
quit eating MRE's now. they suck. and you dont want to eat them, id rather not eat sometimes then eat one of those ****ty things. you'll get plently of practice to "open" MREs in boot camp. that should be the least of your worries.

Rains
09-17-08, 02:06 PM
Yea, after the responses on the post I was like yea.. its no big deal.
Thanks for the responses though everyone.

Rains
10-02-08, 10:10 PM
Wow... lol, Hind sight 20/20 this was a very stupid question to make a thread out of.

Hopefully some of you got a good laugh out of it, or it would have been a total waste.

BR34
10-03-08, 05:30 AM
Very stupid question to make a thread of, yet you post in it again to bring it back to the top?

Nobody likes a attention who*e, Rains. Let it go.