PDA

View Full Version : Time in Iraq leaves impression with 24th MEU

thedrifter
05-20-03, 12:06 PM
Article ran : 05/19/2003
Time in Iraq leaves impression with 24th MEU
By ERIC STEINKOPFF
DAILY NEWS STAFF
As the 24th Marine Expeditionary Unit passed through the Mediterranean Sea recently toward their homecoming this week, troops took time to reflect on their service in Iraq. "I was really impressed at how the Marines kept their head in the game all the time," said 1st Lt. Matthew Eichmann, 25, a platoon commander from White Plains, N.Y. "They did everything we asked them to do." "But we were all surprised how desolate Iraq was, and it was obvious how brutal Saddam Hussein was to his people. You'd think that they were living in the 1300s or 1400s. It was incredible," said Eichmann, who is with Fox Battery, 2nd Battalion, 10th Marine Regiment. What struck Maj. Lou Maida, 39, an air officer from Herkimer, N.Y., were simple, rugged, almost Biblical images of people in robes herding goats and camels across dirt roads. "The only thing that gave it away were the power lines," he said. "I really appreciate America, what it stands for and our way of life," Maida said. "I'll never take it for granted again and I can't wait to get home." The MEU left for a standard six-month patrol of the Mediterranean Sea aboard the amphibious assault ships USS Nassau, USS Austin and USS Tortuga in August, but after several extensions on station pushing them to nearly nine months away it reminds some of a "Gilligan Deployment." Unit members pushed north as far as 50 to 70 miles from Baghdad enduring daily high temperatures well over 100 degrees and a powdery wind-borne dust that gets into all mechanical equipment, Maida said. "We were eating, sleeping and breathing dust." The mission gave Staff Sgt. Robert Lewis, 28, a radio chief from Jacksonville, Fla., a new appreciation of his role in the Marine Corps as he tried to make sure that everyone could talk to each other within the command element, other units and higher headquarters. "It made me realize the importance of my job and my Marines," Lewis said. "During an exercise you don't get the full impact of it, until Marines are being shot at. A call for medical evacuation, artillery or air support saves lives." Lewis had his work cut out for him trying to keep radios from overheating and cleaning electronic connections that provide power to the equipment. Work in Iraq wasn't all the Marines were thinking about. They also dream about their Memorial Day homecoming. Maida thinks about his wife Kim, 13-year old son Joe and 20-year old daughter Leane, a sophomore at East Carolina University in Greenville. "The first thing I'm going to do when I get home is spend time with the family, then maybe go to the mall or float in my swimming pool and talk to the neighbors," he said. "I just can't wait to get home, relax." Lewis is planning his reunion with his wife Tanya, 9-year old son Jummanne, 6-year old son Naji, and his son Alijah, who was 3 months old when he left and will soon turn 1. All three said support from Americans at home made being away from home easier to bare. "I want to thank all the boy scouts, girl scouts and schools who sent us care packages and letters," Lewis said. "The small U.S. flags were great. I kept one on me and will always hold on to it." Contact Eric Steinkopff at esteink opff@jdnews.com or at 353-1171, Ext. 236.

Sempers,

Roger