PDA

View Full Version : Veteran's mom helps group that houses injured Michigan troops

thedrifter
09-02-08, 07:36 AM
Veteran's mom helps group that houses injured Michigan troops
It'll honor 1 in Band of Brothers

BY JEFF SEIDEL • FREE PRESS STAFF WRITER • September 2, 2008

"When my son came home without a scratch," Taylor said, "I felt like I wanted to pay back and do something for somebody who really needed help."

Taylor, 50, of Brighton joined Homes for Our Troops, a national nonprofit that builds specially adapted homes for seriously injured veterans. Taylor is organizing a charity event that will honor injured Marine Cpl. Joshua Hoffman, while raising money for the organization.

Hoffman, 26, was a member of Michigan's Band of Brothers, a group of Marines from the 1st Battalion of the 24th Marine Regiment. The Free Press spent months chronicling their journey to Iraq and back.

Hoffman was injured in January 2007, when he was hit by a sniper in Fallujah. He spent 14 months at Walter Reed. Homes for Our Troops is building a home for him in Middleville, near Grand Rapids.

The house will be specially designed for Hoffman, who is a quadriplegic. The groundbreaking was Aug. 19.

Taylor, a real estate agent, had never before organized a major charity event. "I've never even organized a Tupperware party," Taylor said. "I took this on, and it's been overwhelming. I'll be the first to admit it. But at the same time, it's been the journey of a lifetime."

The event will include speakers, musical entertainment, a cash bar and silent auction.

She said only 100 of the 350 tickets have been sold, which has been a source of concern. "You wake up one day and say, 'Oh my gosh, is anybody going to show up?'

"I'm going to be honest with you, ticket sales have been slow. It's not so much me, my pride, my ego. I want this young man to come to this event and look around and see a lot of people standing around in that room. I want to fill the house."

Taylor started crying. Organizing this event has turned into an emotional passion.

"It's being around these Vietnam veterans who are pitching in," Taylor said. "It's these men who are really helping out. I'm so humbled. It's been a beautiful journey."

It won't end with Hoffman's home.

Other homes for injured troops are needed in Michigan.

"We have another soldier who just lost both of his legs over there, and he's just now returning to Utica," Taylor said. "Homes for Our Troops will be building a home for him, too."

Service members and first-responders are asked to wear dress uniforms.

Though the fund-raiser will not benefit Hoffman directly, some attendees are planning to bring housewarming gifts for him to the charity event. He's registered at Target and Bed Bath & Beyond.

The houses are built at no cost to the veterans.

"It's all done through local donations and volunteerism," Taylor said.

Contact JEFF SEIDEL at 313-223-4558 or jseidel@freepress.com.

Ellie