PDA

View Full Version : The young military life

thedrifter
09-02-08, 07:03 AM
The young military life
By Kati O’Hare
Daily Press Writer

MONTROSE — William Minerich’s first job wasn’t in the coal mines like his father, or in agriculture like many of his Paonia neighbors. His first job, just months after his 1958 graduation and days before his 18th birthday, placed him at historic events and led him into a growing nuclear industry evolution.

“Since I was a little boy, I was always going to join the service” he said.

Though as a boy, Minerich really wanted to fly. He admired his cousins’ careers in the U.S. Air Force. However, that road changed after Minerich prequalified for the electrician field in the U.S. Navy.

“I’ve always been a science person,” he said.

In June 1958, Minerich flew to Denver for his military physical. The plane landed at several local airports before making it to Denver. The pressure from the DC-3 airplane ruptured Minerich’s eardrum; he failed his physical.

“It was pretty painful,” he said.

However, three months later, he returned for the exam. Around Aug. 13, 1958, Minerich was on his way to boot camp in San Diego, enlisted as a “kiddie cruiser.”

After basic training, he went on to basic electrical school in Great Lakes, Ill.

Minerich’s first job took him to Europe, hauling food for the 6th Fleet in the Mediterranean. When his obligation was over — a day before his 21st birthday — Minerich decided to re-enlist for another six years.

During that time, he received more electrical training and at 22, was sent to Guantánamo, Cuba to run the movie exchange where he was stationed.

“I was there about six months. ... That was an experience in Cuba during the missile crisis, wandering around the hills with the iguanas,” he said. “I was playing like a Marine really, I had a rifle and was in the hills. ... When the crisis broke out there were 500 Marines and 500 Navy and we were surrounded by (Fidel) Castro and his Russian guns.”

Minerich returned to the states and continued his education in the growing nuclear field. He used those skills on the USS Enterprise, the world’s first nuclear-powered aircraft carrier, during two trips to the Mediterranean during Vietnam.

His training eventually led him to work in the nuclear power industry in the Midwest, at that time there were only about four nuclear plants in the U.S. His civilian life gave him time to spend with his wife and family.

Now retired, Minerich is still involved as a former commander of the Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 784. He’s also senior vice commander of the district, which contains his post and 12 others.

It was this first job that molded him into what he is today, a patriotic citizen still giving back to his country.

Ellie