PDA

View Full Version : Revelers soak up only sunny day of holiday weekend

thedrifter
09-02-08, 06:33 AM
Revelers soak up only sunny day of holiday weekend

By LIZ FREEMAN

Monday, September 1, 2008

NAPLES — Tito Sanchez had no qualms about working on Labor Day at Sun-N-Fun Lagoon in North Naples where he is a lifeguard.

He strolls around the edge of one of the pools, his lifeguard whistle perched from his lips just in case something happens.

The job is a breeze compared to the rigors he will face come Dec. 15 when he heads off to boot camp with the U.S. Marines Corps at Parris Island, S.C.

“I’ve been waiting. I’ve been ready to go,” said Sanchez, who graduated in 2007 from Palmetto Ridge High School. A rugby injury sidelined him from starting boot camp after graduation.

He doesn’t exactly support the war in Iraq but he backs what the troops are doing.

“I support the military, 100 percent,” he said.

On Labor Day, the 20 year-old was hoping the water park would fill up with families enjoying the only sunny day of the three-day holiday.

“This job is very fun,” he said.

Brian Owen, senior program leader of aquatics at Sun-N-Fun, was hoping the water park would have 3,000 visitors on Monday throughout the day after Sunday’s dismal turnout of 250 people. The park had to close several times on Sunday because of lightening.

Chick-Fil-A restaurant was giving out free chicken strips throughout the day at the park.

Mina Hemingway staked out pool chairs in the shade by 11 a.m. and was spending part of the day at the water park with her 8-year-old son, Robbie Rothenberg, who is in third grade at Pelican Marsh Elementary.

“I have two favorite things, the slides and ice cream,” he said.

For Robbie’s mother, it was a day off from the bookstore she owns, Hemingway Florida Bookstore in North Naples, and the 60 hours a week she puts in there. She’s owned the bookstore for two years.

“We just enjoy ourselves,” she said of the holiday, adding that high gas prices for their RV kept them from heading to Sanibel Island in Lee County for the holiday like last year.

At Delnor Wiggins State Park in North Naples, Janice Nozzolillo was plucked down on her red canvas beach chair in one of the picnic areas with a few friends, waiting for her group to grow to 17 people for a picnic.

“I’m laboring,” she said. “This is home away from home.”

She hadn’t ventured into the water yet, which looked pretty rough. Her daughter, Chelsea Davis, 14, said she got beat up pretty well from the waves.

“I wouldn’t dare,” Nozzolillo said of the surf.

At Lowdermilk Park in Naples, Monica Gonzalez, 14, and her family lugged coolers to a picnic table in a prime spot shortly before 10 a.m.

“I’m just hanging out with family,” the ninth-grader at Golden Gate High School said. “Everybody comes and then there’s no parking spot.”

“We decided wake up early,” said her mother, Isabel Guerrero.

Sherri Kaye works at the concession stand at Lowdermilk and was happy to be there.

“This is the place to go,” she said, adding that she enjoys her job even if it meant working on the holiday.

“It’s my normal day,’ she said. “Everyone is cheerful.”

Not everyone spent the day outdoors; Barnes and Noble Booksellers near the Waterside Shops was fairly busy by early afternoon.

“I think we are doing great,” said Phyllis Kraus, one of the managers. “We do great every day.”

Ellie