PDA

View Full Version : Fellow Marine Question

Coda
09-01-08, 10:24 PM
I had one of my new marines check in and wanted to know now hes out of recruit training and has a head of hair, can he have blonde highlights in his hair. he has a very light complection with brown hair. i read the regulation on this and it seems hes good to go because it matches his complection and its a natural color. However him standing out in the unit might be a problem i personally think for the higher ups but is this somthing the marine will have to find out for himself.

Me been his squadleader had no idea what to tell this devil dog, apart from i dont know but leave it with me and ill find out. However ive passed it along the chain and it seems, im not alone.

If any other marines know anything about this can you inform me please as my devildog still has no answer.

Rah and thanks in advance.

jrhd97
09-01-08, 10:27 PM
Keep in mind this was in '96. A Marine in my unit in Oki got his hair highlited blond. It wasn't drastic and didn't stand out below the bottom of his cover. No one gave him grief over it. He re-uped while there.

Coda
09-01-08, 10:34 PM
Problem ive havnt Cpl is.. by regulation i dont see this marine been in the wrong but on the same hand with it been an "uncommon" act if i can say that. should i advise this marine against it or just see how it goes?

jrhd97
09-01-08, 10:41 PM
With the way new regs are coming down, I would ADVISE against it. He really wouldn't want to high lite it then a new reg comes down the next day prohibiting it. Besides, he doesn't want to attract unwanted attention to his self and you. It's nothing that can't wait till he seps.
Kinda like the new tat policy. Some Gunny may think it's un sat and get all bent over it.

Marine Shu
09-01-08, 10:44 PM
when in doubt, dont do it.

Coda
09-01-08, 11:41 PM
when in doubt, dont do it.

good moto bro ill pass it on ha

yellowwing
09-02-08, 04:00 AM
Next time you are out PT'ing ask the Company Gunny or 1stSgt.

MarineNCO
09-02-08, 06:45 AM
It may be seen as a eccentric. Which is a no no. I worked with a Marine that was outside so much in Iraq that his hair was bleached from the sun. His hair color was a very light shade of blonde from the sun but naturally was light brown. He got so much grief for it that he finally just shaved his head bald.

I would tell your Marine that the hair color God gave him is fine. If the Marine Corps wanted him to have a different color hair they would have issued him hair dye and trained him in the use of it.

Why does he want to dye/highlight his hair? Does he think he is some kind of "pimp daddy"? Tell him to worry more about the Marine Corps and less about fashion.

Wyoming
09-02-08, 07:14 AM
Why can't Marine be capitalized and puntuation used?

mcvet57103
09-02-08, 07:37 AM
Why can't Marine be capitalized and puntuation used?
Myself, I'm kinda wondering if this guy isn't a poser. Poor grammer and sentence structure for someone who supposedly graduated HS. At least it is my understanding that you have to have a HS diploma to enlist. Maybe I'm wrong, if I am let me know. :)

jrhd97
09-02-08, 08:03 AM
Myself, I'm kinda wondering if this guy isn't a poser. Poor grammer and sentence structure for someone who supposedly graduated HS. At least it is my understanding that you have to have a HS diploma to enlist. Maybe I'm wrong, if I am let me know. :)
Sadly, in todays standards a high school diploma is worth about a 6th grade education compared to 15 - 20 years ago. These guys grew up in chat rooms and text messaging. What do you expect.

mcvet57103
09-02-08, 08:09 AM
Sadly, in todays standards a high school diploma is worth about a 6th grade education compared to 15 - 20 years ago. These guys grew up in chat rooms and text messaging. What do you expect.Well that's because the teacher would damage the poor childs self-esteem if he was given a failing grade. :p

MotherGoose
09-02-08, 10:36 AM
I remember a Corporal (male) putting that spray in his hair that makes it lighter in the sun... Sun In was the name of it, anyways, it turned pretty orange and he had to shave it.

I agree with what was said earlier, is this guy trying to be a pimp daddy or something... jeez, he isn't going to have that much hair to highlight and it's going to grow quickly... it's just going to be a waste of money ultimately.

USMC3381
09-02-08, 11:22 AM
Here you go LCPL this should help you out.
General

No eccentricities in the manner of wearing head, facial, or body hair will be permitted. If applied, dyes, tints, bleaches and frostings which result in natural colors are authorized. The hair color must complement the person's complexion tone. Color changes that detract from a professional image are prohibited. Fingernails will be kept clean and neatly trimmed so as not to interfere with performance of duty, detract from military image or present a safety hazard. Nail polish for male Marines is not allowed. Nail polish as it applies to female Marines will fall under standards explained below.

AL49BGN
09-02-08, 11:39 AM
Even If It Is Authorized,I Would Still Run It By The Company Gunny Or 1STSGT.

mcvet57103
09-02-08, 10:01 PM
Even If It Is Authorized,I Would Still Run It By The Company Gunny Or 1STSGT.Damn straight!! If the Gunny dosen't approve it ain't Marine Corps Policy.:thumbup:

Coda
09-02-08, 10:04 PM
yeah thanks for the advise everyone, ill see what the gunny thinks off record :)

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 10:06 PM
I got into trouble for having an eccentric haircut cause I wore a horseshoe and literally shaved the sides. But it was after we got a new Captain, so be careful and just advise him against it

FutureBootLouie
09-02-08, 10:24 PM
It may be seen as a eccentric. Which is a no no. I worked with a Marine that was outside so much in Iraq that his hair was bleached from the sun. His hair color was a very light shade of blonde from the sun but naturally was light brown. He got so much grief for it that he finally just shaved his head bald.

I would tell your Marine that the hair color God gave him is fine. If the Marine Corps wanted him to have a different color hair they would have issued him hair dye and trained him in the use of it.

Why does he want to dye/highlight his hair? Does he think he is some kind of "pimp daddy"? Tell him to worry more about the Marine Corps and less about fashion.

Marines don't cease to become human beings when they become Marines. They want to look good too. What you just said is probably the reason why you see Marines walking around wearing civilian gear that looks like it in style before Dien Bien Phu and the ugliest haircuts in the world (thank goodness the horseshoe is banned)

You're the squad leader, take initiative and find out for your Marine. Ask your Plt Sgt, if he doesn't mind then I'm pretty sure it'll be ok. But if you give him the ok for it, be ready to catch a bit of grief if he gets nailed and tells someone that he did it with your approval.

Take responsibility for your actions and the actions of your Marines, right?

My personal opinion - why the hell not. If it says its ok in the regs, go for it. Last time I checked having a motarded high and tight has no implication on one's performance as a Marine and his professional appearance.

Just my two cents.

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 10:44 PM
Lol Thanks FutureBoot, I thought I wore it well

FutureBootLouie
09-02-08, 11:32 PM
Lol Thanks FutureBoot, I thought I wore it well

lol sorry, didn't mean to offend anyone with the horseshoe comment.

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 11:33 PM
Np Brutha, I still wear a semi Horseshoe

FutureBootLouie
09-02-08, 11:35 PM
Np Brutha, I still wear a semi Horseshoe

haha you are way too motivated.

I'm showing up to TBS with a low reg.

0-3 inches right? lol

Coda
09-02-08, 11:38 PM
Thanks Corporal, thats a good point.

JRHD72
09-02-08, 11:45 PM
If it aint broke, don't fix it! Leave the hair die to the women Marines.

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 11:48 PM
Future you should have seen the recruiter here when I walked in. I was in Civvies and he stood up from behind his desk and asked "Yes Sir SSGT ****** what can I do for you) at parade rest. I just shoved my EGA tat at him and he was so relieved. Classic.