PDA

View Full Version : Determined to be the best

thedrifter
05-20-03, 09:10 AM
Determined to be the best
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 2003519183040
Story by Lance Cpl. Jess N. Levens

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(May 16, 2003) -- Some might say determination is responsible for several victories throughout the military, and life in general. Determination is the blood shed of the troops who stormed Normandy Beach. It is the sweat of the Marines who raised the flag at Mount Surabachi at the Battle of Iwo Jima. It is the tears of the American people after the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Determined people inspire. They save lives and teach others. Determination is the lifeblood of Sgt. Bryan Fuller, drill instructor, Platoon 3070, Company K.

As a youth in Wichita, Kan., Fuller learned about determination early when he began to wrestle and play hockey and baseball. Sports commonly teach teamwork, dedication, and determination, and Fuller said he was an apt pupil. Two weeks after his graduation, with that determination to succeed, he was off to boot camp.

Fuller entered the Marine Corps six and a half years ago with determination as a virtue. He learned the core values, honor, courage, and commitment, but was ultimately impressed by his drill instructors.

"They were always determined to help us succeed," said Fuller. "That made me determined to excel. They became my role models."

After marching across the parade deck here, Fuller went to Pensacola, Fla., for aviation ordinance school. After passing the course, he was off to Marine Corps Air Station, Beaufort, S.C.

From there, Fuller deployed several times. He visited Japan, Korea, Australia, Guam, and Kosovo.

"I learned a lot about other cultures on my deployments," said Fuller. "Australia was by far my favorite. It was beautiful."

Fuller pinned on corporal and he felt he could now do more for the Marine Corps. He thought back to his role models - his drill instructors. After careful consideration, he applied for Drill Instructor School at MCRD Parris Island, S.C., since he was already on the east coast.

"I was immediately turned down for drill instructor duty simply because I was a corporal," said Fuller. "I was determined though. I didn't let that stop me. I picked up sergeant and applied again."

Fuller was again denied. This time it was because there was a lack of sergeants in his job field.

"I really thought I would get it that time, but I didn't," said Fuller. "I applied again."

For a third time, Fuller was denied drill instructor duty because Drill Instructor School was at its capacity, according to Fuller.

His ego wounded, yet still determined, Fuller applied to Drill Instructor School once more and was accepted.

"I was really excited about finally getting in," said Fuller. "I thought about giving up when they denied me, but I don't give up. That's not me."

The motivated Marine then boarded a plane to Southern California and checked in to Drill Instructor School.

"By the time I got there, I was so motivated," said Fuller. "I wanted to get the school over with and go out to the drill field."

The physical aspect of the training was no problem for Fuller, but the academic aspect proved to be difficult because of the rigorous academic material.

"The academic portion of the class was tough on me," said Fuller. "I wouldn't let that get me down. I was determined to become a drill instructor no matter what."

Fuller took extra initiative and put in extra hours studying the curriculum. When all was said and done, Fuller was awarded his campaign cover and assigned to Company K.

"I was a Kilo Company recruit, so I was glad to be able to teach recruits in the same company I graduated from," said Fuller.

Fuller said he caught on to the routine rather quickly and excelled early as a junior drill instructor. He was awarded the Gunnery Sgt. Nichols Award, which is an award given to the best new drill instructor.

Fuller took quite a shine to drill and became determined to be the best. His platoons have won the initial drill competition three times, and on one occasion, he tied the regimental record with a score of 52 out of 100 points, which is incredible for a platoon's first drill competition, added Fuller.

On his next training cycle, his platoon superceded his expectations and broke the record with a score of 56.

One of his platoons also won the final drill competition, which is one of the highest honors for a graduating platoon.

"He doesn't settle for anything less than perfect," said Sgt. Todd Coyer, drill instructor, Platoon 3070, Co. K. "He is a demanding drill instructor and that's why he sets records."

For his determination to succeed in drill, and training all together, Fuller was given the Dan Daly Award twice. The award is given to the Depot's best junior drill instructor. Fuller was also the 3rd Battalion Drill Instructor of the Quarter twice, and regimental Drill Instructor of the Quarter once.

"Sgt. Fuller made me disciplined and eager to succeed," said PFC Abe Hill, Platoon 3070, Co. K. "He is always ready to teach and to make us the best Marines possible, in drill, physical fitness, and in all other ways."

Fuller's determination has led him down a path he said he is glad to have traveled. He becomes a senior drill instructor next cycle and attributes his success as a drill instructor, a Marine, and as a man to hard work and determination.

"If you stick to your goals and never give up, anything can be accomplished," said Fuller.

Sempers,

Roger

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/2003519183215/$file/Sgt_Fuller_lr.jpg

The look of determination is mirrored from the statue to Sgt. Bryan Fuller, drill instructor, Platoon 3070, Company K. Fuller said it has been his determination that eventually brought him to the drill field.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Jess N. Levens