PDA

View Full Version : Questions about SoI

Seyborg
08-31-08, 06:37 PM
Evenin' Devildogs.

I have a few questions about SoI, it seems like this crap is changin' all the time! Maybe someone that has just gone through could let me know.

1. Am I allowed to bring a laptop? The brief I got said No, but so many Marines have told me they brought theres with NO problem.

2. Liberty? When and how long, all those nice details.

3. PT? Am I allowed to lift at a gym, check out my profile pic, I look like a jew out of an internment camp. I need to bulk up, gain some good weight.

Those are the only ones I can think of at the time, jarheads.

Semper Fidelis,

Pvt. Seybert Out! :marine:

Allen870922
08-31-08, 08:17 PM
1. In my platoon none of us actually brought a laptop to SOI with us. Most of us, if not all, had our cell phones, cd players, ipods. Had a guy in my platoon who later on bought a small tv and an xbox and set it up in his wall locker.

2. Libo for us was every weekend. Saturday and Sunday. Your first libo will be on base and you'll have to be in cammies. For the first few weekends it switched off between on base and off base libo. And eventually we just always had off base. After your first on base libo you'll be able to be in civies for libo. If you are 21 or older you can drink while on libo. If you're under 21... Don't get caught. Libo, besides your first weekend, will last until 1700 Sunday so you had to be back by 1645 for formation. Your first weekend I think they gave us 4 hours. Of course this all depends on if you are going for an Infantry MOS(ITB). If you are MCT you won't get libo until your last day or something like that.

3. PT for us was always Monday morning. Most of the Marines were hung over and fat from the weekend and we would end up running about 6 miles. This was the newest training schedule. Things might have changed a bit since the training schedule changes because of suggestions made by Marines who are graduating.... You can go to the Gym if you want. But you'll only be able to do it on your libo. When you get to the fleet you'll be able to get to the gym more when you get off work everyday around 1600-1700. But you'll also be PTing 5 days a week.

Welcome to the Corps, Marine.

Seyborg
08-31-08, 08:22 PM
Thanks PFC.

I bought a blackberry so I can text/email/myspace and all that junk. You only PT once a week at ITB SoI? Damn. Yeah I'll have to work out during libo.

Allen870922
08-31-08, 08:33 PM
Don't worry, you'll still be in shape. Long hikes, constantly wearing your flack and kevlar. Carrying a weapon everywhere. And out in the field a lot. At first the **** might be a little heavy and uncomfortable. But after a while its not as heavy anymore. Still uncomfortable though. Those ****ing flacks always gave me a ****ing heat rash on my chest everytime we went out into the field. Oh, and field always made me chafe like a mother ****er. So when you get a chance, buy some nut huggers from walmart or something that are pretty tight and go down a decent length down your thighs. Its a life saver in the field and you won't be walking around like you just got done riding a horse.

Seyborg
08-31-08, 09:24 PM
Aye, PFC

HurricaneRJ
08-31-08, 09:26 PM
Boot Camp was rewarding but hitting that place, **** that place, I never want to go back.

And stop saying "aye PFC".

Were brothers, just acknowledge that you understand, when it comes to NCO and above it's different.

Seyborg
08-31-08, 09:43 PM
sounds good!

But you're serious about only organized PT once a week?

Maybe I can gain some mass lol...I look like a starved kid.

Achped
09-01-08, 12:22 AM
rofl you just scream booooooot.

I hope you get Hawaii and you get to haze yourself at Ft Hase beach at 0500 in full PPE crawling over rocks and ****...haha

Believe it or not, NCOs are humans too, and you can talk to them like human beings...

RYDERKUR
09-01-08, 09:19 PM
PT has gone up a lot in ITB. It's probably around 3-4 times a week now.

MarineNCO
09-02-08, 06:49 AM
Well I am PCSing from SOI. There are tons of other threads about what to bring and what not to bring. I suggest bring the bare minimum you are required. You can always hit up the PX to get the snivel gear and entertainment items at a later time. Less crap to keep track of and less crap to lose.

FutureBootLouie
09-02-08, 10:13 PM
Aye, PFC

lol that was funny.

Zulu 36
09-02-08, 10:18 PM
r

Believe it or not, NCOs are humans too, and you can talk to them like human beings...

I beg your pardon? Human? An NCO? Perish the thought. :devious:

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 10:29 PM
What Marine NCO said your gonna have enough Crap you "Have" to bring with you and you don't want to be lugging crap all over you don't need you will get enough of that

Achped
09-02-08, 10:35 PM
I beg your pardon? Human? An NCO? Perish the thought. :devious:

My mistake Sgt, rather they are a form of human kind that can entertain a human thought.

Mikewebe
09-02-08, 10:42 PM
Amphibious blood suckin war machine is a better description unless you Admin or an Airdale then I would Say Qoala Bear

jrhd97
09-02-08, 10:46 PM
Seyborg, all the longer you will be there and as busy as you will be, you really don't need more than what you will be issued.
Don't worry about bulking up. Some guys never do and are still strong as an ox. You will hump around all your gear so much that you'll put on a few lbs. When on libo you'll need to let your body recuperate, heal. Hitting the weights will only add more strain to your body.
Lastly ..... DON'T LISTEN YO SO MANY OTHER MARINES!!!!! If the paper says no, then no. It isn't something thats that important. It's only 13 weeks or so, unless thats changed to. There is a reason they don't want you to bring it. Listening to others, of which you have no first hand knowledge, will only get you in trouble.