PDA

View Full Version : Dismissed! Weix and fellow Marines come safely home to Wisconsin

thedrifter
08-31-08, 11:16 AM
Sunday AUGUST 31, 2008

Dismissed! Weix and fellow Marines come safely home to Wisconsin

This is the 48th — and final — in a series of “letters home” from a local Marine deployed for a second tour in Iraq

By Gunnery Sgt. Isaac Weix, Special to The News

The last day at 29 Palms [Calif.] was long. We had to turn in all of the bed linen and other items belonging to the base. The barracks had to be cleaned and inspected.

We were staged to go in the parking lot for busses to take us to March Air Force Base at 0300. The busses came at 0400, and it was a two-hour ride to the airfield.

When we arrived at the hanger, we were weighed and checked in. It was a chartered commercial airplane that came to take us back to Wisconsin. Our plane arrived in Madison at 1600 on the 23rd of August.

When we got off the plane, the governor and the highest-ranking general in the Wisconsin National Guard were there to shake our hands and welcome us home. We were greeted by our families, and then were seated for the speeches by the governor, etc.

It was a short ceremony, and we were done in 45 minutes. Our commanding officer dismissed us, and we were on our way home.

The activation is over, so this is my last letter. I tried to write what I saw at my level. I hope it gave you a different perspective then you usually get.

It is time now that I get reacquainted with my wife and kids and make up for the year of their lives that I missed. Thank you for reading my letters and God bless.

Weix, an Elmwood native, serves with the 24th Marine Regiment out of Madison as a platoon sergeant for Weapons Platoon, “G” Company, 2nd Battalion.

Ellie