PDA

View Full Version : From hollowness to hope: Fallen Marine's son due in January

thedrifter
08-31-08, 07:19 AM
Article published Aug 31, 2008
From hollowness to hope: Fallen Marine's son due in January

Kindness, those gorgeous blue eyes and his smile.

Hotaru Nakama Ferschke, 24, described the Marine sergeant she met while he was stationed in her homeland of Okinawa, Japan, and she worked on base. Having met several Americans, Sgt. Michael H. Ferschke Jr., she said, was different from any she had met before. The two became close, dated for several months and were joined as man and wife on July 10.

It was no ordinary wedding ceremony. In fact, there was no ceremony at all. Ferschke had been sent to Iraq in April and Nakama was back in Japan. Their love wouldn’t be denied, as the marriage took place by proxy, thousands of miles separating the two. Their signatures sealed the deal.

There was no walk down the aisle, reception with family and friends, no exotic honeymoon destination.

Exactly one month later, on Aug. 10, Michael was killed while on a mission in Iraq. Hotaru and her mother flew here to Maryville, Michael’s hometown, for the funeral and burial. Both will be returning to Okinawa today.

Seated in the bedroom that used to be Michael’s, Hotaru and Michael’s mom, Robin Ferschke, talked about their relationship now and the future that includes Hotaru and Michael’s unborn son, already given the name Michael Ferschke III.

“He will be Mikey,” Robin said, a smile erupting from behind her grief. “That’s what Michael wanted.”Picking up the pieces
The 27-hour flight back to Okinawa will be hard on this mother-to-be and the family here in Maryville eagerly awaiting the birth months from now. Robin said she plans to be with Hotaru on that miraculous day in January. And Hotaru said she will eventually be moving here to Maryville, honoring another of her late husband’s wishes.

This is Hotaru’s second visit to Maryville. She came for Christmas last year to meet Michael’s family, a large one.

According to Robin, Michael had been stationed in Japan for almost three years when he was ordered to Iraq. His military training had taken him to North Carolina, Maine, Virginia and Florida. His goal was to become a dive school instructor and Michael had already decided to re-enlist for four more years, his mother said.

Both Hotaru and Robin watched in awe as a community placed its arms around them. Robin said her employer, Charter Communications, her husband’s, IJ Company, and even complete strangers, lent shoulders to cry on, brought food and supplies for the family, extended heartfelt condolences and gave Michael a send-off no one will forget.

Law enforcement, military units, churches and neighbors all joined in. On Saturday a car wash was held near Hooters in Alcoa to raise money for Hotaru and her unborn child.

“I met so many wonderful people,” Hotaru said. “I want to thank everybody who helped take care of me.”Heart of a hero
Michael was only 22 when he was killed, the youngest of three children of Robin and Michael Ferschke Sr. Robin said he enlisted in the Marines just weeks after graduating from Maryville High School, at the age of 17. He would have turned 23 on Nov. 13.

Robin said the last time she spoke with her son was right before he left for Iraq, a brief but memorable conversation.

“He said, ‘Mom I love you. Tell everybody I love them, too, and I will talk to you soon.’”

The Ferschkes have lived in Maryville for 13 years. As a youth, Michael loved BMX bicycles, football, baseball, basketball, skiing and snowboarding. He liked it all and was good at whatever he tried. Robin said Michael never chose the easy way.

“Everything he did in life was challenging,” Michael’s mom said. “He felt like the Marines were the most challenging. ... He had a lot of good dreams. He had it all planned out.”

There have been several family members from out of town staying with Robin. Her sister June McMahon and brother Robert Lambert have remained close by her side. Robin hasn’t gone back to work yet and doesn’t know how she will be able to. Right now, she and Hotaru are coping with the huge holes in their hearts and looking ahead to a future that still includes a part of Michael.

“I think we will see Michael in Mikey,” Robin said. “We will see Michael again.”

Outside on the Ferschke front lawn a tribute has been placed for Michael — rows of flags, a photograph of the dedicated soldier who was awarded the Purple Heart, heartfelt messages. “A Very Proud American has fallen,” one sign reads.

A mother and wife grieve in unison, one for the husband she had just started a life with and one who gave him life 22 years ago.

“He always wanted to do something really great,” Robin said.

That dream came true.

Ellie