PDA

View Full Version : Marine shares photos from war

thedrifter
08-31-08, 07:12 AM
Marine shares photos from war

By Lisa Wakeland
lwakeland@communitypress.com

ANDERSON TWP. - A group of Marines kneel next to boots and a helmet resting atop a gun, mourning the loss of a company leader.

This photograph, entered by former Marine Reservist Sgt. Kris Fox, won first place at the "Meet My Heroes" exhibit at KZF Gallery.

Fox said a nurse practitioner at a Veterans Affairs hospital encouraged him to submit photographs to the exhibit.

After returning from Iraq, Fox said he received the winning the photo from another service member and entered "Hunter's Squad," along with a couple of his own pictures into the exhibit.

The other two photos taken by Fox in "Meet My Heroes," show Marines searching caves near the Syrian border and a blast crater from an explosion.

Photographs in the exhibit display everything from Iraqi children excited about the last day of school and soldiers eating ice cream bars to desert sunsets and Marines saluting the fallen.

KZF Design invited military service men and women returning from Iraq or Afghanistan to submit photographs they took while serving in the Middle East.

Fox served in Iraq from March to September 2005 as part of the Lima Co., a 168-member Marine Reserve unit from Ohio that suffered 48 casualties - 23 deaths and 25 seriously injured.

"It was very stressful and (we) had a very hectic pace," he said. "In that part of the country, at that time, they were still trying to build up forces."

Fox, an Anderson resident, said he did not have a difficult time transitioning back to civilian life, though many of his friends did.

He handled reintegration so well, his wife, Amy, said she wondered if he was hiding something.

"He was really easygoing when he came back," she said. "Like Kris said, the guys who were stable and OK when they left, were stable and OK when they came back."

The exhibit honors the Armed Forces Ticket Association and also features work by students at the Cincinnati Arts and Technology Center.

Admission is free, and "Meet My Heroes" is on display until Oct. 3, from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday through Friday at the KZF gallery, 655 Eden Park Drive.

Ellie