PDA

View Full Version : Rifle Range

dizark
08-30-08, 06:40 PM
I've done some searching on the internet as well as these forums. I came across this topic:

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55564

It was very good with most of my questions, but never having shot a rifle, I have one or two questions that I can't seem to find answered anywhere.

My first question is in regards to Qualification day. Who scores your shots on that day? How soon after you've shot all the tables required, do you find out if you qualified or not.

My second question is in regards to the different ranges. Seeing I have never shot a rifle before, or even seen what the 300 and 500 yard range is like, is it possible to see your bullet hole in the target that you shot from 300-500 yds away?

I apologize in advance if these questions appear dumb. I've shot handguns before, but never a rifle, and I really have no idea about the rifle range/qualification. However, if you have a link or two in reference to these questions that I was not able to aquire, please let me know so I may look them over.

Thanks in advance!

YutYut
08-30-08, 07:08 PM
You will keep track of your score as well as the recruits in the pit. When I was there, if there was a discrepancy in scoring, the pit score was used.

I don't remember being able to see where my round hit on the target. The holes are not big at all, being roughly the size of a hole punched into a looseleaf sheet of paper.

If you've never shot a rifle before, that's not a bad thing. You haven't developed any bad habits yet. Just pay attention to your PMI and during snap-in and all that. If you apply the fundamentals, you'll do well.

Seyborg
08-30-08, 07:14 PM
Sgt. you are correct about everything you said.

Now they use shot spotters and an orange scoring disk to tell you what you shot. So even at 500 yards away you can see it.

Make sure you find out who is on your relay during the pits. Talk to them in the squadbay and have them WORK for your shots. I know people that got misses that shouldn't have. They are there, just look harder!

Like the Sgt. said, LISTEN TO YOUR PMI AND LIVE HIS ADVICE. You have to follow his directions perfectly, and you'll shoot perfectly. Pretty simple really.

Don't stress the range. You'll be fine.

dizark
08-30-08, 07:20 PM
Thank you for the clarification on the range. I really appreciate it!

The shot spotters/orange disc is great news. I know that the Sgt mentioned you keep score as well as the pit. Are these spotters/discs used in the longer ranges to assist you in marking where you hit, in order to keep a tally?

Echo_Four_Bravo
08-30-08, 08:39 PM
There will be two markers on your target. One will show you where you hit. This enables you to adjust the sights on your rifle if you need to do so. The other disk tells you how many points you got for a particular shot.

I don't know how much sense it makes when you're reading about it, but when you're there it will all be clear. It is pretty simple when you see how it all works.

dizark
08-30-08, 08:47 PM
Thank you. It calms me more knowing about this. As you said, I honestly don't understand fully on the subject, but knowing it will be easier to understand if/when I get to that phase.

Thanks again.

Wyoming
08-30-08, 10:18 PM
Do they still use Maggie's Drawers?

thewookie
08-30-08, 10:36 PM
Do they still use Maggie's Drawers?

Yes, they do, that would be the big white loli-pop.

Mikewebe
08-30-08, 10:38 PM
Dont worry you will have ample information and you will see if you are qualifying or not. Do not worry about that though you will start to stress out as I did my second year. I shot expert out of boot Unqualified the next year expert the next and sharpshooter at the end

DEVILDOG2008
08-31-08, 05:10 PM
i had pink eye in both eyes on qual day and still qualified to just relax and listen to what your PMI tells you

UsmcMotorT
08-31-08, 08:22 PM
i had pink eye in both eyes on qual day and still qualified to just relax and listen to what your PMI tells you

Damn, you could shoot expert with your eyes shut huh.

marcus2173
09-05-08, 11:05 PM
no stupid you cant see a bullet hole 500 yards away wat kinda question is that. and another recruit is gonna keep track of your score but your PMI is gonna come by and add it up. after each shot theyre gona pull it down and put a marker to show were you hit.

dizark
09-05-08, 11:16 PM
I don't think a question in reference to something that someone has never done before should be deemed "stupid". I appreciate your input on the subject though as the more I understand, the better.

Now you mention about them putting a marker to show you where you hit, but how would this also apply to a rapid fire?

Thanks again

FutureBootLouie
09-05-08, 11:49 PM
your rifle coach will have binos to help you out if you cant see your spotting disk

FutureBootLouie
09-05-08, 11:50 PM
I don't think a question in reference to something that someone has never done before should be deemed "stupid". I appreciate your input on the subject though as the more I understand, the better.

Now you mention about them putting a marker to show you where you hit, but how would this also apply to a rapid fire?

Thanks again

they put up like 10 markers.

Echo_Four_Bravo
09-05-08, 11:54 PM
In rapid fire you shoot all 10 shots, then they mark the target. There is no input between shots.

thewookie
09-06-08, 01:33 AM

Thanks again

I ran the pits at Dam Neck for a little while so I can tell you exactly how shot marking is done at that range. Once the rapid fire string is done they mark each shot with a 3-inch shot spotter - one side is white the other side is black. White spotters in the black - black spotters go in the white.

For both the 200 and 300 ydline you fire the rapid string in 60 seconds, once the time is over - Marines down in the pits from behind the birm pull the targets and mark each hit with shot spotters, and then they send them back high in the sky for all to see. If you did what you were trained to do then you should only see white shot spotters in the black. If you sprayed and prayed then you'll see a combination of white and black spotters, a few maggies draws,,,and you'll probably get a pizza box. :)

Once the target in the pits is marked with spotters and sent high in the sky - the pits will score - hits with a red paddle, and all misses get maggies draws or the white paddle. Sometimes, you get the professional wave of the white paddle or maggie, other times,,, when you get some jokers down in the pits you might see a maggie shark - (waving the white maggie paddle up and down across the target) or the simple maggie wave - (waving maggie from side to side.) Whatever maggies draw you get - you sock and everyone on the line knows it.

Any misses in the pits on qual day have to be verified by a Staff NCO or Officer.

BTW - any questions on the line about scoring go to the pits first, once the pit and the line score is verified, the data book is then verified.

Shot spotters resemble a spindle,, for you Non-Shooting-Focks,, imagine a 3 inch circular piece of cardboard with a pencil stuck through the middle of it. One side of the cardboard is painted black - the other side is white. If the Marine shoots and hits the target in the black part of the target, when the target is pulled down in the pits and marked, the white side of the spotter is stuck in the hole that the round leaves. So when the target is raised in the air, the Marine can make adjustments based on where the spotter(s) are in relation to where they called the shot.

In the rapid fire string at the 200 or 300 yard line there are 10 holes to plug-up with spotters.

The 200 and 300 yard slow fire strings are marked individually with 5" spotters.

At the 500-yd slow fire, after each shot the target pulled down and marked with a 10" spotter.

**If you are a NSF and hit the birm - you're going to be re-making targets down in the pits. That means stripping the target all the way down,,,, pulling like 3 years of old paper off them, pulling out all the staples, busting out the nasty glue and making them shinny and bright with new backs and targets.

dizark
09-06-08, 08:00 AM
That was great clarification on the marker system. I appreciate it very much.

fs19
09-06-08, 10:06 AM
Listen to everything your PMI says and follow it exactly. Also, don't stress about it and DONT ADD YOUR SCORE UP WHILE YOU ARE FIRING. I shot a 218 on prequall and then started stressing about getting expert on qual. Well I stressed myself out to much and on one round I was taking up the trigger slack and pulled it too early-miss and then I had a save round on the 300 yd. rapid fire. Both of those rounds would have either been a 4 or 5. I ended up shooting a 210 on qual. I didn't think I had a chance of shooting expert on Table 2, since I needed a 95/100 so I just went up and shot my best without stressing and guess what- I only had two rounds outside the black and earned my crossed rifles. Just listen to your PMI and stay calm. If you have a bad shot, don't freak out- just focus on the next one.

Scottie0417
09-16-08, 01:21 AM
fs19, I completely agree with you about listening to your PMI. I had never fired a rifle in my life and I was so worried about getting the Pizza Box that I payed attention to everything my PMI said. Ended up shooting Expert. And as far as adding up your score, that's a huge don't. My buddy Smith shot like a 238 on Pre Qual...Qual day he added up his score, psyched himself out, and shot a 208.